Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,312 times

Advertisements

Man I just had a total rage attack in my apartment tonight. This place is so hot, when is the heat going to be over? I beat up my AC, my fridge, trashed a chair, and bruised my hand up in the process. Heat makes me angry, it's a simple reaction. In the same way that putting baking soda on an acidic solution causes it to bubble. But what I almost hate more than the heat itself are the people that uphold The Big Lie, the fallacy that a Florida summer is just a 3 month, minor discomfort of the year. Hell, my parents fall into this category. In fact I've had to distance myself from them lately. It's more than discomfort, this heat can rob you of your goals, your will to live, and let me tell you, it can contribute to alcoholism too. Oh but the redneck will respond with how the heat doesn't bother him because he's been here so long. Well let me tell you, I've been here a while too. I was born at St. Joseph's Hospital, Tampa, in 1974 while you were still up in Ohio or whatever fly-over state you came from (Fly-Over State: noun, term used by celebrities referring to everything between New York and LA). And I still haven't gotten used to the heat, hell it feels worse now than when I was a kid. Maybe I'm turning into a wuss or something. But these old crows-feet crackers with their Guy Harvey shirts, they say that the heat doesn't bother them. But are they doing anything mentally taxing at home? No, their smoking cigarettes (i hope they raise the tax some more), drinking, and watching cars go around a circle. Well if that's all I had to do too, maybe the heat wouldn't bother me either. I'd just open up the windows, it's not like my brain would overheat. But I'm trying to get some studying done in this hot box, trying to finish up a LONG overdue degree so that I can have the freedom do move somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 PM

Sorry I sounded so bitter. On a more positive note, let me bring up the flip side. The people that have well cooled, well insulated places that keep their places ice cold. And they brag about it too. You know, colleagues at work who boast about how they keep their place at 72 degrees, and leave it that way even when their gone so the place is cool when they get home. Cheers to those people who reject heat.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,453 times
I just about laughed myself right off the chair reading your first post but know it's not funny to you. I've been there, my dad's house is like that....one little 15 year old window AC to cool off the whole place and it's miserable to me but his old arse is all happy and comfortable.

I'd get a small window unit from ABC wharehouse, they have some for around $99 and just section the place off to keep one room real cool. I've had to do that before and after I put my window unit in I put a tarp over my living room entrance to keep the cold air in, got a fan and pretty much lived in there.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:39 PM

Awe, thanks for the support man. There's not really much to section off here, it's a 350 sq foot studio. But it's on the top floor with a flat gravel roof. I put a new 12000 btu unit in on my own dollar but even that doesn't cut it. This top floor just has no insulation. I should do like the Simpsons when he connects a tent to his fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I just about laughed myself right off the chair reading your first post but know it's not funny to you. I've been there, my dad's house is like that....one little 15 year old window AC to cool off the whole place and it's miserable to me but his old arse is all happy and comfortable.

I'd get a small window unit from ABC wharehouse, they have some for around $99 and just section the place off to keep one room real cool. I've had to do that before and after I put my window unit in I put a tarp over my living room entrance to keep the cold air in, got a fan and pretty much lived in there.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:13 AM

216 posts, read 829,240 times
Matt,
I sympathize with you, really I do.
Studying in an uncomfortable environment makes it really difficult to concentrate on the subject at hand.
I have a daughter living in a "fly-over-state" (Iowa). In the winter she often tries to stay warm in her poorly insulated, frigid apartment while pursuing a graduate degree. So I do really, really feel for you. Not living in the perfect climate, say, San Diego or thereabouts, is a real drag.

I know that some communities have places that can offer some respite when you need it. These places are usually large, quiet, climate-controlled and very civilized. They are called L I B R A R I E S.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
I know I will get bashed by the usual crew for this saying I am trying to downplay the Florida weather but it sounds like you have more issues than just the weather.

And the stereotypes are a nice added touch.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,576 times
I agree about the heat, but why did you find it necessary to refer to people as "rednecks" and "crackers" in your little rant?
Seemingly it's always OK for people to insult or joke about whites, but all hell breaks loose if the same is done to minorities. God I hate double standards.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:32 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
Awe, thanks for the support man. There's not really much to section off here, it's a 350 sq foot studio. But it's on the top floor with a flat gravel roof. I put a new 12000 btu unit in on my own dollar but even that doesn't cut it. This top floor just has no insulation. I should do like the Simpsons when he connects a tent to his fridge.
I see what your up against, that makes it tough. If there is crawl space in the attic you might be able to put in an attic fan. That would help to get rid of the hot still air and get some circulation up there.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 AM

428 posts, read 1,243,270 times
If it makes you feel better, those of us living in seemingly total comfort are actually in quite a lot of pain on the back side every month when the electric bill comes. Our electric bill is in the $300-$400 range. That is a new kind of hurt.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,460 times
Probably too much information but I'll share anyway.

You don't know heat unless you're a woman in the menopause age bracket.

That said, use whatever towels or tee-shirts you have, put some water on them and freeze them. Pull them out, put on your head, your neck, your feet. Change out when you're not feeling the relief. Refrain from alcohol as much as possible - I mean, don't be a fanatic about the abstinence 'cause that's just crazy - but increase the amount of ice cubes in your drinks to get more water.

Oh, sorry about your bruised hand... ouch.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 09-09-2009 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay