Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:30 AM

239 posts, read 672,002 times

Advertisements

We are from Arlington and moving to the Tampa area so I have been on this forum for awhile. I've noticed a nice a little "sub group" of people from the DC area either in or moving to Tampa (xbillyx, Kyle, Jennie) all kind of looking for the same thing.

Since we all seem to have a lot in common, I though it might be nice to get a thread started just to link us all together. Maybe once we all get settled (I think we will be in Safety Harbor) we can meet up and have a nice DC style party or meet for drinks.

If you are from DC-NOVA and are either in or moving to the Tampa are, please feel free to post here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 11:54 AM

436 posts, read 1,122,531 times
Hey there! I'm thinking it's a big change from DC to Tampa. Nice to see others around.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,313,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Hey there! I'm thinking it's a big change from DC to Tampa. Nice to see others around.
When I was in the military I spent a lot of time in the DC area- more specifically columbia, MD- Tampa is a whole different world. I dont think it will be total culture shock, unless you move to the burbs around tampa. That would be culture shock moving from south tampa!

What kind of DC Party? Republican or Democratic?

I kid I kid. Tampa Parties usually consist of a bunch of middle aged swingers

Old 11-12-2010, 12:28 PM

239 posts, read 672,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
W
What kind of DC Party? Republican or Democratic?

I kid I kid. Tampa Parties usually consist of a bunch of middle aged swingers

LOL!!!!

All substantive fact based intelligent discussions welcome LOL

Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 PM

101 posts, read 530,739 times
My husband and I grew up in the DC area, and relocated to Tampa about two and a half years ago. It's been great here---we've never looked back. The lifestyle is definitely a shift, but for us it was one for the better. The beaches here put crapshoots like Ocean City and Virginia Beach to shame, and the gorgeous weather eight months out of the year more than makes up for the hot summers.

The thing I miss most about DC/Maryland/Virginia is the food...specifically the seafood. For a state that is a giant peninsula, Florida is severely lacking in quality seafood. You order a crab cake sandwich here and what you get is....not a crab cake sandwich. There are a few gems here, but you have to dig through a lot of chains to find them. Dining in the Tampa area in general leaves a bit to be desired when you compare it to DC, but on the plus side I feel like living here has made me a better home cook.

The only other thing I'd caution about is the Florida drivers...They make the Beltway seem like child's play. You'd think obeying traffic lights was optional, speed limits are more of a suggestion, turn signals are unheard of, and apparently they think they have to have their thumbs on their cell-phone keypads in order for the motor to run. Be prepared for a jump in your Auto Insurance when you move here...there's good cause for it.

Anyway, good luck with your impending relocation!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:26 PM

104 posts, read 224,623 times
We just moved here a month ago from Chantilly, VA.. Bought a house in Valrico, FL and closing next week. We don't plan on leaving EVER!!

However, as bad as 95 and 66 were, I was never in an accident but both my husband and I have been rear ended on Dale Mabry in the last month! What is up with that?!

We are getting motorcycles after the "winter" is over here. The weather is to die for! The houses cost so much less. We love it.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:33 PM

104 posts, read 224,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamia36 View Post
The only other thing I'd caution about is the Florida drivers...They make the Beltway seem like child's play. You'd think obeying traffic lights was optional, speed limits are more of a suggestion, turn signals are unheard of, and apparently they think they have to have their thumbs on their cell-phone keypads in order for the motor to run. Be prepared for a jump in your Auto Insurance when you move here...there's good cause for it.

No kidding, Karamia! I just saw that after I typed mine. The girl who rear ended me said, "I always pull over when this happens." I'm like, how often do you get in accidents?!

We haven't switched our car insurance to Fl yet from VA but we got a quote and it is NOT COOL! Still, we are making up for it in our mortgage. There are some down sides to being here (like toll roads and of course the drivers here) but you make up for it in the better traffic and weather housing prices for starters.

To you DC people: I miss Aladin's hookah place in Fredericksburg. I miss Piasanos pizza. And if you have never been to Palo Alto in Centreville yet.. don't leave DC without going!

Old 11-13-2010, 10:28 AM

186 posts, read 488,762 times
Talking saying goodbye the the beltway..

My husband and I are relocating to Fla this spring or summer,depends on the sale of the house....

We are not really sure where to look, we want a gated community with some great amenities now that we will have time to enjoy.. not to close to the beach as anything is closer and better than what the options are here.

any suggestions would be welcomed

Old 11-14-2010, 08:45 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,313,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamia36 View Post

Anyway, good luck with your impending relocation!
This is a bit of a stretch! I have driven places in the states far worse then tampa. DC and NY being two of them.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:23 PM

158 posts, read 284,639 times
Hi all! I am up for meeting for drinks once we are all there. Although I am curious as to what this DC party consists of?? I am actually in KS currently, grew up in Gainesville and have lived/traveled just about everywhere. I am so ready to be in sunny FL ESP now that the weather is getting cold again. Im looking into Safety Habor, South Tampa, and Indian Rocks to name a few. I will be there next month to take a look around and get a better idea of where I would like to end up. Good luck to you and maybe we'll meet one day! If you have any Safety Harbor info to share I would greatly appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay