Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 PM

158 posts, read 285,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hi Jennie, as Billy mentioned the middle school here is Safety Harbor MS and it is quite good. The town is rather small so there isn't any other option in terms of being bused to another school. The high school is most likely Countryside HS which is quite good as well and has a long tradition of good academics. It gets overshadowed by two newer schools (Palm Harbor University HS and Tarpon Springs East Lake HS) but in terms of academics is pretty much on equal footing.

You won't find a comparable gym here but the YMCA in Clearwater is pretty nice IMO. Clearwater YMCA of the Suncoast (http://www.suncoastymca.org/clearwater.htm?id=l - broken link)

There are quite a bit of good youth leagues in Safety Harbor and neighboring Oldsmar.
Leisure Services -- City Of Oldsmar Website (http://www.ci.oldsmar.fl.us/leisure_svcs/ls_programs_classes.htm - broken link)
Safety Harbor FL - Official Website - Athletics (http://www.cityofsafetyharbor.com/index.aspx?NID=378 - broken link)

Safety Harbor is quite safe at night and you'll see plenty of others out running as well. Phillippe Park or the Bayshore Greenway are popular spots.

In terms of families you'll see quite a few. 28% of the homes in Safety Harbor have children under 18 living with them. Neighboring Oldsmar has 38%.

Safety Harbor, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oldsmar, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that helps!

Kyle,

This helps a great deal! I will look into Safety Harbor for sure when I am there. I dont know that I could work out at the Y if they are anything like the ones here... I.E musty, dusty, and the equipment has some updating to be done.

You have given me an idea of what the place is like though so I appreaciate that. I may have some additional questions for you if you dont mind.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Countryside High gets a 7/10 on GreatSchools. That's good, but not great (and you can do better in Pinellas). Palm Harbor gets a 10, East Lake a 10, and Seminole a 9.

Middle schools: Palm Harbor gets an 8, Safety Harbor a 9, Seminole a 9.

School-wise, it looks like your best bet would be the Seminole area (south of Walsingham Rd to get into Seminole High and avoid Largo High-7/10) or Palm Harbor.

I didn't get a chance to check out the Seminole/West Largo area near Walsingham Park. You'd be closer to easy beach access (Indian Rocks/Shores) there, as opposed to having to pay for the closest beach access in Palm Harbor (Honeymoon Island/Caladesi).

Billy,

I still have Indian Rocks on my list and I noticed that Seminole has a great middle school. I can't wait to check out that area as well. I am interested to see what the community is like and the neighborhoods. I will post my thoughts about the area next month after my trip.

Thanks for the Interactive link.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 PM

262 posts, read 940,894 times
Quote:
Hey there, I lived in DC for almost 10 years. I originally lived in Falls Church, then moved into DC (Dupont Circle and Logan Circle) for the remainder. I just recently bought a condo in Oldsmar and will be moving from Philadelphia where I've lived for the 7 years since leaving DC. I'm psyched for finally getting there, not yet however, I'm supposed to close on my house here on 11/29. I'm totally up for drinks once I arrive!
Good luck on your closing! I haven't been around the forum for awhile, but was intrigued to see a thread just for those from DC/NOVA. My husband and I used to live in Arlington - but that was a long time ago (1977) - we moved from Arlington back to FL and never looked back. My husband and I love St. Pete (almost as much as S. FL hehe) - and I hope you'll love the Tampa Bay area too!

I think you'll find there's plenty to do here, and a lot of variety - Pinellas County may be small but it sure has a lot packed into it.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:41 AM

239 posts, read 673,845 times
Hello Everyone!

This is great to hear everyone's DC/NOVA to Tampa experience. I haven't posted because I am currently in Tampa again visiting schools and house searching. I have a lot to report but will be quite busy "catching up". Stay tuned for more info.

Oh and by DC party I just mean wine, good food and interesting conversation. Sounds simple but hard to find sometimes in SoFl. No offense but Miami can be pretty superficial. I just can't take another party where the only thing people talk about is celebrity gossip and personal triumphs.

Oh yes, and our car insurance practically doubled from VA. Hopefully our brief stint in Miami will lessen the shock.

gotta hit the road but I'll be back with more info.

Cheerio all!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOnewplace View Post
Hello Everyone!

This is great to hear everyone's DC/NOVA to Tampa experience. I haven't posted because I am currently in Tampa again visiting schools and house searching. I have a lot to report but will be quite busy "catching up". Stay tuned for more info.

Oh and by DC party I just mean wine, good food and interesting conversation. Sounds simple but hard to find sometimes in SoFl. No offense but Miami can be pretty superficial. I just can't take another party where the only thing people talk about is celebrity gossip and personal triumphs.

Oh yes, and our car insurance practically doubled from VA. Hopefully our brief stint in Miami will lessen the shock.

gotta hit the road but I'll be back with more info.

Cheerio all!
Looking forward to reading the info you find. Btw, I'll bring the cheese

Good luck with your house/school search.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:56 AM

239 posts, read 673,845 times
Great Jennie, you got the cheese . I know you are interested in schools so will fill you in on some of our school findings as soon as we get back.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:01 AM

27,340 posts, read 44,483,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniegurl View Post
Kyle,

This helps a great deal! I will look into Safety Harbor for sure when I am there. I dont know that I could work out at the Y if they are anything like the ones here... I.E musty, dusty, and the equipment has some updating to be done.

You have given me an idea of what the place is like though so I appreaciate that. I may have some additional questions for you if you dont mind.

Thanks!
Jennie,

I think you'll be surprised by the Y here versus what you're accustomed to. Definitely not musty and dusty! Virtual Tour - YMCA Suncoast Clearwater Branch - YMCA Clearwater Branch

If you're looking for all the high-tech gadgety equipment you won't find it there however. For that you'll need either LAFitness or Lifestyles. Just be prepared to feel weird if you're not wearing makeup when you work out. Also, no pool.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:34 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,400,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOnewplace View Post
We are from Arlington and moving to the Tampa area so I have been on this forum for awhile. I've noticed a nice a little "sub group" of people from the DC area either in or moving to Tampa (xbillyx, Kyle, Jennie) all kind of looking for the same thing.

Since we all seem to have a lot in common, I though it might be nice to get a thread started just to link us all together. Maybe once we all get settled (I think we will be in Safety Harbor) we can meet up and have a nice DC style party or meet for drinks.

If you are from DC-NOVA and are either in or moving to the Tampa are, please feel free to post here!
lol, nova lifer here. living in old town and working in arlington.

fiance and i are looking (hard) for jobs in tampa/st. pete as we speak. hope to be there soon.

i found a redskins bar (some hotel) down there as well.

i'm so done with dc and it's neverending b.s.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Jennie,

I think you'll be surprised by the Y here versus what you're accustomed to. Definitely not musty and dusty! Virtual Tour - YMCA Suncoast Clearwater Branch - YMCA Clearwater Branch

If you're looking for all the high-tech gadgety equipment you won't find it there however. For that you'll need either LAFitness or Lifestyles. Just be prepared to feel weird if you're not wearing makeup when you work out. Also, no pool.

Kyle, that seriously made me laugh about the make-up. There are several of those at my gym and some I even see touching up their make-up before they get in the gym. It is amusing. I don’t go to meet people and socialize I get in, get it done, and get out, I work out with the big boys *lol*. I do wear make-up sometimes during the week to the gym though but only because I am coming from work and that’s the only reason.

Thanks for the virtual link, I checked it out. It looks small but very clean. It may not be what I am looking for but I will still check into it once I am there. I will have to find something close to where we end up living that is for sure.

Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:24 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,322,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniegurl View Post
Kyle, that seriously made me laugh about the make-up. There are several of those at my gym and some I even see touching up their make-up before they get in the gym. It is amusing. I don’t go to meet people and socialize I get in, get it done, and get out, I work out with the big boys *lol*. I do wear make-up sometimes during the week to the gym though but only because I am coming from work and that’s the only reason.

Thanks for the virtual link, I checked it out. It looks small but very clean. It may not be what I am looking for but I will still check into it once I am there. I will have to find something close to where we end up living that is for sure.

Thanks again!
The hyde park lifestyles is the same way. You wont see women with make up on in the morning or the weekend. Only on weeknights after work. You can tell who is there to socialize and who is there to work out... just put your headphones in and be one of the "anti-socials" at the gym! Thats what I do.

you'll have to come down and tour some gyms. there is a fair amount in the area and different ones offer different amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay