Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 PM

522 posts, read 698,940 times

Advertisements

Hi! I recently found out that we are making a move to Tampa from Northern Virginia in the Spring of 2014. I admit, I'm quite excited for the beach and weather, but I just wanted to ask you friendly locals if there is anything I should know before moving? Thanks! ;-)

Old 07-28-2013, 09:15 PM

670 posts, read 1,283,587 times
There are lots of things to know. I would recommend doing a lot of research on the area including reading posts on here to help you learn what to expect. As a NOVA transplant here, I can tell you to expect a much slower pace, less traffic, cheaper housing, higher utilities, no state taxes, higher insurance premiums, 2 seasons instead of 4, heat from April to November, lots of rain in the summer months, to spray for bugs and spiders often, not see any deer, horrible drivers, to pay a few hundred dollars to register and get FL tags, less pretentious people, really flat land,lots of fun things to do, higher grocery bill.....that's the main ones that I can think of right now.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:41 PM

522 posts, read 698,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
There are lots of things to know. I would recommend doing a lot of research on the area including reading posts on here to help you learn what to expect. As a NOVA transplant here, I can tell you to expect a much slower pace, less traffic, cheaper housing, higher utilities, no state taxes, higher insurance premiums, 2 seasons instead of 4, heat from April to November, lots of rain in the summer months, to spray for bugs and spiders often, not see any deer, horrible drivers, to pay a few hundred dollars to register and get FL tags, less pretentious people, really flat land,lots of fun things to do, higher grocery bill.....that's the main ones that I can think of right now.
Uh oh, are there lots of bugs?

Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,645,485 times
One poster here on the TB C-D forum never sees bugs, but the rest of us do. The good news is you can keep them under control by hiring an exterminator.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:38 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,292,460 times
...or a cat.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,189,369 times
Seriously, there's a lot of bugs here..do your research in case you don't like living in a place that is overrun (depending on the area), with bugs. Example, (and this does not violate any rules of trolling or other mambo jambo); 2 yrs ago I returned late at night from Orlando and opened my garage door to park; approx 20-25 palmetto bugs rushed in because it was probably too hot for them to be outside. It took me 1 hr to find and kill all of them. We usually spray but even then you'll have to deal with palmetto bugs or other bugs. This is FL.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 AM

54 posts, read 104,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Seriously, there's a lot of bugs here..do your research in case you don't like living in a place that is overrun (depending on the area), with bugs. Example, (and this does not violate any rules of trolling or other mambo jambo); 2 yrs ago I returned late at night from Orlando and opened my garage door to park; approx 20-25 palmetto bugs rushed in because it was probably too hot for them to be outside. It took me 1 hr to find and kill all of them. We usually spray but even then you'll have to deal with palmetto bugs or other bugs. This is FL.
i understand it is written in jest... but still the imagery is scary

Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 AM

2,826 posts, read 4,011,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
2 yrs ago I returned late at night from Orlando and opened my garage door to park; approx 20-25 palmetto bugs rushed in because it was probably too hot for them to be outside. It took me 1 hr to find and kill all of them. We usually spray but even then you'll have to deal with palmetto bugs or other bugs. This is FL.
That seems a bit extreme. Are you sure they weren't on your garage door and fell off when you opened it? lol or do you have 10 bags of garbage sitting in your garage?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 AM

Not in jest. I was just trying to emphasize people who are scared of bugs, or whatever wildlife in general is linked with a subtropical/tropical environment, that Tampa or FL would not be a good choice. I am the opposite. I embrace nature and love the variety of things you see down here. Btw, palmetto bugs are just disgusting, otherwise harmless. They live in the grass; mature ones can fly for a while, so people freak out.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
That seems a bit extreme. Are you sure they weren't on your garage door and fell off when you opened it? lol or do you have 10 bags of garbage sitting in your garage?
Nope, no garbage in the garage. Who keeps garbage in the garage in FL? A few were on the outside wall above the garage, some came from different directions. It could be they were attracted by the light or were trying to escape the heat. Hasn't happened since then but when I mention this people freak out. hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay