Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 05:12 AM

11 posts, read 31,888 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are moving to Tampa. Husband working at Macdill long hours for sure. In laws live in New Tampa (Arbor Green) so they would be there for support if we live close. Areas we are considering are in Title. Palm Harbor because we think we would really enjoy living there (Lansbrook) but wondering is the commute really that bad to Macdill? Lutz, looks like great schools and not too far from In laws and apparently not too bad of a commute to Macdill (is that correct assessment?) New Tampa to be close to in laws and also good schools. Anyone have an idea about the commute? South Tampa specifically Hyde Park or Palma Ceia. May be a nice lifestyle, easy commute and good schools but worried about finding a nice 3/4 bedroom 2/3 bath within a $2400/month budget. Also heard South Tampa has serious flooding issues and I do not know about living with surrounding areas being a bit unsafe and feeling a little like I am an nice island within a not so nice area around me. Any advice would be great! I have done a fair amount of research before posting so as to focus on these specific areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
West Lutz, and also Carrollwood, parts of Citrus Park, even Odessa South on Gunn Hwy, and Westchase are all great options if working at McDill.

Yes South Tampa floods...but off Westshore blvd there is the Westshore Yacht Club that is a lot closer to McDill, and is very nice. I don't know about rentals there, but you can ask an RE.

The area I circled is also nice. Older homes, and some new mansions build over older homes, but it is closer o the base.

Attached Thumbnails
Moving Macdill Lutz, New Tampa, South Tampa, Palm Harbor.-st.jpg  

Old 11-07-2012, 07:00 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
South Tampa would be the most convenient but it's expensive and yes, it floods. New Tampa and Lutz is probably a good idea. Brandon might be good for you too.... a lot of people that work at McDill also like FishHawk Ranch

Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alotofmoving View Post
Hello,
We are moving to Tampa. Husband working at Macdill long hours for sure. In laws live in New Tampa (Arbor Green) so they would be there for support if we live close. Areas we are considering are in Title. Palm Harbor because we think we would really enjoy living there (Lansbrook) but wondering is the commute really that bad to Macdill? Lutz, looks like great schools and not too far from In laws and apparently not too bad of a commute to Macdill (is that correct assessment?) New Tampa to be close to in laws and also good schools. Anyone have an idea about the commute? South Tampa specifically Hyde Park or Palma Ceia. May be a nice lifestyle, easy commute and good schools but worried about finding a nice 3/4 bedroom 2/3 bath within a $2400/month budget. Also heard South Tampa has serious flooding issues and I do not know about living with surrounding areas being a bit unsafe and feeling a little like I am an nice island within a not so nice area around me. Any advice would be great! I have done a fair amount of research before posting so as to focus on these specific areas.
To be honest...I would wait and see what happens after the elections since there were stories that people would be lay off from their mcDill jobs in the near future and you don't want to end up moving and no job...

Old 11-07-2012, 12:59 PM

420 posts, read 864,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alotofmoving View Post
Hello,
South Tampa specifically Hyde Park or Palma Ceia. May be a nice lifestyle, easy commute and good schools but worried about finding a nice 3/4 bedroom 2/3 bath within a $2400/month budget. Also heard South Tampa has serious flooding issues and I do not know about living with surrounding areas being a bit unsafe and feeling a little like I am an nice island within a not so nice area around me.
Limit your search to Hyde Park or Palma Ceia. You will be very satisfied. Not sure about budgets for what you're looking for, but I would definitely focus on the area. Don't forget to calculate the savings in gas, tolls, and time and that may justify raising your limit if you find something nice. Don't pay attention to the flooding. I've lived in Palma Ceia for 3 years and have been inconvenienced twice. It's not worth considering.

Disregard the information on looking around Interbay. The neighborhood doesn't provide the quality of life that Hyde Park and Palma Ceia do. And if you live that close to base, you'd might as well live on-base.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:02 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
I agree with this. From Lutz you'll come down Veterans Toll Rd, cause otherwise you'll loose your mind if you have to take Dale Mabry all the way to the base...etc. I think it might be better to find something in South Tampa in your case. What you'll save on rent you'll pay on gas and tolls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
Limit your search to Hyde Park or Palma Ceia. You will be very satisfied. Not sure about budgets for what you're looking for, but I would definitely focus on the area. Don't forget to calculate the savings in gas, tolls, and time and that may justify raising your limit if you find something nice. Don't pay attention to the flooding. I've lived in Palma Ceia for 3 years and have been inconvenienced twice. It's not worth considering.

Disregard the information on looking around Interbay. The neighborhood doesn't provide the quality of life that Hyde Park and Palma Ceia do. And if you live that close to base, you'd might as well live on-base.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:09 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,636 times
I agree with South Tampa and Westchase. The commute from New Tampa is terrible!

Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
My SIL lives in S. Tampa off of Himes and some other relatives south of Gandy. In the 20 something years she has lived there, the only flooding problem she has had was from street flooding but nothing in the house. If you stay in Palma Ceia or Hyde Park you won't have any problems. I agree if you DH works long hours that is the area to live in. Any place else he is looking at 40 min to over an hour each way especially from New Tampa and probably from Lutz too.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
MLS # T2539351 - 3413 W Empedrado St, Tampa FL, 33629 | Homes.com

Check this out. 3/2 in Palma Ceia very good schools there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay