Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,628,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
...or a cat.

Cats are good for the rats and snakes.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 PM

522 posts, read 695,735 times
Oh my, you guys... I was just reading about "Palmetto Bugs and it says that they will often times fall on your head from the ceilings. Please tell me this is not true... XD

Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,994,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Oh my, you guys... I was just reading about "Palmetto Bugs and it says that they will often times fall on your head from the ceilings. Please tell me this is not true... XD
No, they don't fall on your head.

Last edited by Sunscape; 07-29-2013 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 05:58 PM

554 posts, read 977,914 times
Expect a culture shock. NOVA and Tampa are polar opposites of each other. I moved from Herndon to St. Pete. Where NOVA is uptight, career and money focused, Tampa is kicked back with a tourist mentality. You will not find nearly as many uptight A types here. I worked for a large company in St, Pete and the VPs were wearing flip flops and tie dies.
A lot of the housing stock (esp in Pinellas co, is small, older block style homes, you don't see nearly as many McMansions around although there are some areas of Tampa that are a bit more yupscale it's not like NOVA where everything was upscale. Keep in mind, this is a tourist area so the lifestyle is casual. If you notice the topics on this board don't focus on the same type of topics that the NOVA board focuses on. The people here really don't care what type of car someone drives, what their zip code is and whether or not their kid is in an AP program. If you like to chill, then this is the place. One thing that pleasantly surprised me was the food quality. Since there are a lot of retired or relocated Yankees and Jewish people, you will find that you can get NOVA quality Pizza and Bagels. I was very worried about that after spending a lot of time at the Bagel Café and The Deli in Herndon. The bugs are not as bad as advertised, In a year in St Pete, I may have had 3 palmetto bugs inside my condo. I see more lizards than bugs. I did miss the natural beauty of the Mid Atlantic though. I loved riding the Harley down skyline drive or over in WVA although in Fla, I was able to ride year round. So, overall If you are ready for a BIG change from NOVA you may love it down here, if you try to compare it to the Mid Atlantic, you will hate it here.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 PM

633 posts, read 1,013,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
Expect a culture shock. NOVA and Tampa are polar opposites of each other. I moved from Herndon to St. Pete. Where NOVA is uptight, career and money focused, Tampa is kicked back with a tourist mentality. You will not find nearly as many uptight A types here. I worked for a large company in St, Pete and the VPs were wearing flip flops and tie dies.
A lot of the housing stock (esp in Pinellas co, is small, older block style homes, you don't see nearly as many McMansions around although there are some areas of Tampa that are a bit more yupscale it's not like NOVA where everything was upscale. Keep in mind, this is a tourist area so the lifestyle is casual. If you notice the topics on this board don't focus on the same type of topics that the NOVA board focuses on. The people here really don't care what type of car someone drives, what their zip code is and whether or not their kid is in an AP program. If you like to chill, then this is the place. One thing that pleasantly surprised me was the food quality. Since there are a lot of retired or relocated Yankees and Jewish people, you will find that you can get NOVA quality Pizza and Bagels. I was very worried about that after spending a lot of time at the Bagel Café and The Deli in Herndon. The bugs are not as bad as advertised, In a year in St Pete, I may have had 3 palmetto bugs inside my condo. I see more lizards than bugs. I did miss the natural beauty of the Mid Atlantic though. I loved riding the Harley down skyline drive or over in WVA although in Fla, I was able to ride year round. So, overall If you are ready for a BIG change from NOVA you may love it down here, if you try to compare it to the Mid Atlantic, you will hate it here.
YEAH !!!! Thanks for that info! We are moving to Tampa Bay area in 2015... hubby is retiring and we will be "starting over" - part 2, I like to call it, less stressful jobs, and not in it to win it.

we were there for a visit last year, going back again this year in the fall(I hope!)

Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 PM

522 posts, read 695,735 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm ready! I'm so sick of the snobby pretentious elites and I hate living in classic suburbia. I really do want to just kick back and not take life so seriously. Sandals year-round sounds good to me! Also, I wanted to ask you all; is Tampa an okay place for an LGBT individual to live? Of course I would imagine so with the "laid back" mentality, but I just want to make sure.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,179,086 times
Quote:
The info above is misleading. I've been down here 16 yrs and don't remember VP's or anyone coming to work in sandals or flip flops (jeans yes, but not flip flops). Corporations, no matter where they are, do not allow that. Also, a lot of people down here care about social status too, i.e where their kids go to school, what they drive and where they work(believe it or not there's friction, jealousy and other situations derived from human nature). If you're single, that's a different ball game. The corp world is just as competitive with A types competing, playing games/politics etc.. (this is the standard everywhere in the US); also don't forget this is an employment at will state. In addition, you're comparing a single metro area(NOVA) calling it upscale with parts of St Pete, which besides downtown, much of the rest is older/working class neighborhoods. As an example, why not compare it with Snell Isle, Tierra Verde, Bell Air/Bell Air Beach, North CLW Beach, Casey Key or many other similar areas in Hillsborough/Pinellas/Sarasota. That would be a fair comparison. As a rule of thumb, everything close to the beaches is upscale with plenty McMansions(from Pasco county down to Venice).

The person will hate it down here if she expects Tampa Bay to fit the profile of the nation's capital (we're blessed to not have as many criminals in local politics down here, as up there)

Btw, just went on Google maps - Arlington VA and could see plenty of houses that resemble what you see inland in St Pete. So not sure what this "everything was upscale" comment is about!

Last edited by Trigger-f; 07-30-2013 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 02:17 PM

670 posts, read 1,278,860 times
I think this is a pretty accurate set of expectations. I didnt see any VP's dressed is flip flops but I would say that people in the workplace definitely have a more laid back attitude. I do miss VA sometimes but reading your post just reminded me of the things that I DONT miss. Like, pretentious uptight people. Ugh.

Quote:

Old 07-30-2013, 02:21 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,994,891 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm ready! I'm so sick of the snobby pretentious elites and I hate living in classic suburbia. I really do want to just kick back and not take life so seriously. Sandals year-round sounds good to me! Also, I wanted to ask you all; is Tampa an okay place for an LGBT individual to live? Of course I would imagine so with the "laid back" mentality, but I just want to make sure.
You will be more comfortable in St. Pete.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:54 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:

They only fall on your head during the daytime.
At night when they tend to come out in droves they just like cosy up in the bed with you - I often wake up in the morning and find two or three of the critters quietly staring at me on the pillow. And there's always one pesky one that likes to crawl into my hair and make himself really comfortable.
Don't worry - you'll get used to them after a year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay