Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 06:17 AM

27,234 posts, read 44,203,243 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I lived in DC for almost 10 years. I originally lived in Falls Church, then moved into DC (Dupont Circle and Logan Circle) for the remainder. I just recently bought a condo in Oldsmar and will be moving from Philadelphia where I've lived for the 7 years since leaving DC. I'm psyched for finally getting there, not yet however, I'm supposed to close on my house here on 11/29. I'm totally up for drinks once I arrive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniegurl View Post
Hi all! I am up for meeting for drinks once we are all there. Although I am curious as to what this DC party consists of?? I am actually in KS currently, grew up in Gainesville and have lived/traveled just about everywhere. I am so ready to be in sunny FL ESP now that the weather is getting cold again. Im looking into Safety Habor, South Tampa, and Indian Rocks to name a few. I will be there next month to take a look around and get a better idea of where I would like to end up. Good luck to you and maybe we'll meet one day! If you have any Safety Harbor info to share I would greatly appreciate it.
Hey Jennie, my best friend who moved from Long Island to the area about four months ago bought in Safety Harbor after scouring the area and loves it. What kind of information were you looking for?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:03 AM

4,697 posts, read 7,913,878 times
Kyle, Welcome to Oldsmar!
It's a very nice area, and it's next to Safety Harbor, which is also very nice!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:46 AM

158 posts, read 284,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hey Jennie, my best friend who moved from Long Island to the area about four months ago bought in Safety Harbor after scouring the area and loves it. What kind of information were you looking for?

Hi Kyle! I am looking for a good middle school and safe area above all. My son will be in middle school when we get there and he is in a really great school district currently that we both love. So I really cant see us settling for anything less. I would also like to know if there is a nice gym there. We spend six days a week at our gym so it would have to be really nice. I would like the gym to have basketball courts, rock climbing, as well as a pool. Our gym has a really awesome indoor and outdoor pool with water slides and plenty of bells and whistles which would be nice to find something similar there. We could settle for a little less...maybe Also, my son plays basketball and baseball so we would like to find a competitive league there for sports. I like to run out side sometimes at night, do you think that Safety Harbor is a safe enough place to be outdoors with my pup on a night run? I was curious if there are young familes in that area? I have several questions, but I guess that would be a start. Thanks for any information Kyle.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 AM

436 posts, read 1,123,847 times
Quote:
Hi Kyle! I am looking for a good middle school and safe area above all. My son will be in middle school when we get there and he is in a really great school district currently that we both love. So I really cant see us settling for anything less. I would also like to know if there is a nice gym there. We spend six days a week at our gym so it would have to be really nice. I would like the gym to have basketball courts, rock climbing, as well as a pool. Our gym has a really awesome indoor and outdoor pool with water slides and plenty of bells and whistles which would be nice to find something similar there. We could settle for a little less...maybe Also, my son plays basketball and baseball so we would like to find a competitive league there for sports. I like to run out side sometimes at night, do you think that Safety Harbor is a safe enough place to be outdoors with my pup on a night run? I was curious if there are young familes in that area? I have several questions, but I guess that would be a start. Thanks for any information Kyle.
It looks like the middle schools in Safety Harbor has a rating of 9/10. More info here: Safety Harbor Middle School - Safety Harbor, Florida - FL - School overview

Old 11-16-2010, 10:55 AM

158 posts, read 284,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
It looks like the middle schools in Safety Harbor has a rating of 9/10. More info here: Safety Harbor Middle School - Safety Harbor, Florida - FL - School overview

Thanks Billy! Always so helpful!

I have checked into so many schools on greatschools site but I have been reading that some kids dont go to the school local to them, I was worried about that. Does anyone know if we lived in a town would my son likely go to the school in that town or be bussed to a different location?

I am sure that it could have to do with the area we choose to live in as well. Schools there do seem hard to figure out. Where I live you just know what district/county is good and which ones are bad. It seems to me that the good and the not so good schools are all spread out from what I have looked into so far anyways.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks Billy! Always so helpful!

I have checked into so many schools on greatschools site but I have been reading that some kids dont go to the school local to them, I was worried about that. Does anyone know if we lived in a town would my son likely go to the school in that town or be bussed to a different location?

I am sure that it could have to do with the area we choose to live in as well. Schools there do seem hard to figure out. Where I live you just know what district/county is good and which ones are bad. It seems to me that the good and the not so good schools are all spread out from what I have looked into so far anyways.
I've done far too much research so I know the answer to this. Use the Pinellas County Interactive School Map, here: Interactive Map. That will show you the zoning for each school. If any school ends with a "*" it's a magnet/charter school, and kids are bussed in from elsewhere.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Kyle, Welcome to Oldsmar!
It's a very nice area, and it's next to Safety Harbor, which is also very nice!
Hi Annie! Thanks for the welcome! I can't wait to get there permanently in early December. My friend who just moved to Safety Harbor and I were kidding that we're so close that we'll be able hear the clink of the ice cubes in cocktail glasses from one another's homes.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Hi Jennie, as Billy mentioned the middle school here is Safety Harbor MS and it is quite good. The town is rather small so there isn't any other option in terms of being bused to another school. The high school is most likely Countryside HS which is quite good as well and has a long tradition of good academics. It gets overshadowed by two newer schools (Palm Harbor University HS and Tarpon Springs East Lake HS) but in terms of academics is pretty much on equal footing.

You won't find a comparable gym here but the YMCA in Clearwater is pretty nice IMO. Clearwater YMCA of the Suncoast (http://www.suncoastymca.org/clearwater.htm?id=l - broken link)

There are quite a bit of good youth leagues in Safety Harbor and neighboring Oldsmar.
Leisure Services -- City Of Oldsmar Website (http://www.ci.oldsmar.fl.us/leisure_svcs/ls_programs_classes.htm - broken link)
Safety Harbor FL - Official Website - Athletics (http://www.cityofsafetyharbor.com/index.aspx?NID=378 - broken link)

Safety Harbor is quite safe at night and you'll see plenty of others out running as well. Phillippe Park or the Bayshore Greenway are popular spots.

In terms of families you'll see quite a few. 28% of the homes in Safety Harbor have children under 18 living with them. Neighboring Oldsmar has 38%.

Safety Harbor, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oldsmar, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that helps!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:30 PM

Countryside High gets a 7/10 on GreatSchools. That's good, but not great (and you can do better in Pinellas). Palm Harbor gets a 10, East Lake a 10, and Seminole a 9.

Middle schools: Palm Harbor gets an 8, Safety Harbor a 9, Seminole a 9.

School-wise, it looks like your best bet would be the Seminole area (south of Walsingham Rd to get into Seminole High and avoid Largo High-7/10) or Palm Harbor.

I didn't get a chance to check out the Seminole/West Largo area near Walsingham Park. You'd be closer to easy beach access (Indian Rocks/Shores) there, as opposed to having to pay for the closest beach access in Palm Harbor (Honeymoon Island/Caladesi).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay