Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:07 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

Your question might work better in its own thread. It would get more attention that way. I don't live in St. Louis, but I think University City and Downtown are a couple of safe areas. Others could provide more info than I could, though. It might help to peruse some other threads on this forum with similar questions. "What areas are safest?" seems to be a common question on here.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/
http://www.stltoday.com/realestate

Old 12-28-2007, 06:34 AM

111 posts, read 392,747 times
West County, South County(within confines of St Louis County and further south). CWE is a new growth not yet able to say it is a real safe area, but changes are in the works. University City some areas are okay, but not all of them. Stay further West or South.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:55 AM

111 posts, read 392,747 times
Having lived around St Louis nearly sixty years, you will find it a little safer West and South of Lindbergh Blvd. West of 270 and southside of 270. Outskirts of St Charles are safe areas. South County safe around 270 & 55. Caution in certain localities of Jefferson County (this would be south of 141 around Hwy 21 & hwy 30 ) THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO EVERYTHING. Get a good realtor that knows the area you want to live if they have been here a long time they can tell you which streets, etc., you should be cautious of. A map only gives locality, but a well-rounded and knowledgeable realtor will tell you the specifics for your benefit. Whether you want to buy or rent they will help you in your decision.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:34 PM

19 posts, read 103,423 times
Unhappy St. Louis

I agree that stats are misleading and overall bs. i also know as a citizen of both St. Louis city and county I can say the level of danger between the two is drastically different. while living in the city of St. Louis I experinced an armed home invasion at one in the morning. Things almost got very messy but the intruders wisely heeded my warning and fled secounds before I was going to open fire. I have lost two friends to random shootings and car theft is an everyday occurance. Put simply if u think the roughest part of your city is hardcore than i advise to take a trip to north St. Louis city and or East St. Louis. Blocks and blocks of abandoned buildings murders every other night it seems. It shocks me that in a country as wealthy as the uUnited States can have such horrible neighborhoods with in it's borders. in St. Louis you can make one wrong turn and find yourself in a place riveling HELL.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:51 PM

19 posts, read 103,423 times
Cool Dirty Thirty boys hwy 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeating View Post
Having lived around St Louis nearly sixty years, you will find it a little safer West and South of Lindbergh Blvd. West of 270 and southside of 270. Outskirts of St Charles are safe areas. South County safe around 270 & 55. Caution in certain localities of Jefferson County (this would be south of 141 around Hwy 21 & hwy 30 ) THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO EVERYTHING. Get a good realtor that knows the area you want to live if they have been here a long time they can tell you which streets, etc., you should be cautious of. A map only gives locality, but a well-rounded and knowledgeable realtor will tell you the specifics for your benefit. Whether you want to buy or rent they will help you in your decision.
I grew up off Hwy 30 I'm actually a member of a group of guys named the Dirty Thirty Boys "we rather choke on our blood, Than swallow our pride1"-D30 boy motto. haha. but things arnt that bad out here in Jefferson County. we have a big meth problem and a high drop out rate. Basically alot or trailors and pissed off lower midle class whit dudes. But not very many violent crimes. We have beautiful rolling hills out here and overall good people. Sure you might have to deal with random tweekers (meth users) mowing you grass and rakeing your leaves out of nowhere, but u dont have to worry bout your car being stolen or your home being mistakingly shot up in a drive by like the noth side.D30 Boys pledge to keep theses kind of criminals out of neighborhood. who knows maybe we will boot out the tweekers.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:49 AM

238 posts, read 332,075 times
The statistics make it look a lot worse than it really is. No, a person shouldn't be stupid when it comes to their personal safety, but for the most part, people are people. Poor areas experience more crime than wealthy areas do and this is the case anywhere in the world that you go. St. Louis gets a bum rap because of where the city limits are.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 AM

98 posts, read 480,963 times
Don't worry STL I think after Detroit got it's most dangerous city crown back from you they're going to keep it a little longer.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:01 PM

238 posts, read 332,075 times
As mentioned, these statistics are skewed.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:19 AM

287 posts, read 350,660 times
And it doesn't help when people say things like

"Stay as far west as you can."

How about no. I'll stick with my restaurants, nightlife, 200 year old homes, etc.

Thanks though.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:17 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojohnson76 View Post
And it doesn't help when people say things like "Stay as far west as you can."
To those people I say: Move to Kansas. There's like 4 black people total and hey then your kids won't have to learn about that dirty lie evolution either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis