Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

Public schools are a major fault of the city, but it's also important to note that bad schools are hardly defined to St. Louis. Chicago too has nightmarishly bad public schools, but what St. Louis has going for it is cost of living.

In Chicago if you don't make 100k + per year it's very difficult to afford to live in the city and send your kids to private schools. Because St. Louis is so inexpensive, it's much easier to afford private schools.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,072 times
Default D30 Boys

I have lived in JC ever since I was A little girl, I have never heard of the D30 Boys but as a single mother of two young boys living here now , the thought is comforting. I will put in my request for you guys to boot out the tweekers too, i know all too well what your talking about it has effected my life drastricly (no i am not or never have been a user) and i pray that i can move my boys away before they are old enough to get sucked into that life. I would love to stay with them here but we definitly need some cleaning and booting before all the normal people here are forced to move there families away. Iv also heard rumors that at Northwest High School the new popular drug is Heroin God I hope not. We need people like you guys to "
enforce" the safety and health of our town.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:36 AM

4 posts, read 10,401 times
It doesnt suprise me St.Louis is crap there is too many gangs and drugs and now the rural parts in Missouri and Southern Illinois and becoming crap because of all the idiot Meth Heads. Hell when i was growing up we never locked the door since we lived in a small town down past Carbondale and now if you leave your door open idiot druggys will be in your house. My cabin that my family has owned for 50 or more years down on the Shawnee National Forest got robbed by a bunch of meth heads stealing more than 20,000 dollars worth of things not includding my 4 wheeler

Old 05-20-2008, 02:44 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Sorry you got robbed.

But being a rural person myself, I do not see the city as "crap" at all. I love an urban environment. And any place you live that has more than 10 people will have crime. You can't live in a bubble. We don't have a lot of crime here where I live (town of >400), but we do have drug problems. And being 3 hours from the city, I don't blame the drugs on the city. I blame it on the fact that we have acres and acres of wood to have a crackhouse in and nobody can ever find them.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutofmn View Post
Sorry but if you are looking for places without rising crime, Minneapolis is not one of them. Random shootings and muggings on the rise downtown, a surge in murders last year and both the beginning of this year (several in the first few weeks of Jan alone) have brought back rise to the name "Murderapolis" originally coined in the mid 90-s. I wont take me or my family downtown anymore, even during the day. Oh and then there's the taxes and the awful weather. Stay in St Louis...Minneapolis is not the place to go!
This was posted over a year ago but I still have to respond.

Murderapolis?! OH MY GOD! Where are you from? Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Minneapolis crime is tame, tame, tame compared to sooooooo many other American cities. This is the place where teens from the suburbs go to the lake and spend all day playing volleyball on the beach until the sun goes down. The only true unsafe place in Minneapolis is North Minneapolis, and it isn't even that bad. You can drive through North Minneapolis and as long as you don't basically stick your neck out and practically say rob me then you can be all right.

Sheesh. Minneapolis as Murderapolis? DO NOT try to make my city as being some-sort of crime infested wasteland. It is not. There are times when you'll still feel you're in the suburbs when you go around Minneapolis.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:28 AM

Minneapolis is one of the more dangerous cities in America and Murderopolis has long been a nickname associated with the place, used even as recently as the 90s.

If you feel your city is generally very safe, perhaps that should make you question the legitimacy of the crime statistics.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Minneapolis is one of the more dangerous cities in America and Murderopolis has long been a nickname associated with the place, used even as recently as the 90s.

If you feel your city is generally very safe, perhaps that should make you question the legitimacy of the crime statistics.
I definitely do question the legitimacy. Please show me these statistics. Pretty please. I'm sorry if I come off as being agitated but I have been living in MN for years, lived in Minneapolis many times as well as the nearby suburbs, and this is the first time I've actually heard this. Murderapolis?????!!!! The idea that Minneapolis is one of the most dangerous cities in America boggles my mind to no end. What is next? Florida considered to be too cold?!

Murderapolis? Who is saying that? I mean, I've never felt unsafe in this city. I walk around this city all the time and sometimes it can be pretty deserted. I thought Minneapolis was considered the most peaceful cities in the world. Even Screech from Saved by the Bell wouldn't be intimidated by this city.

Please aragx6, give me these statistics. I'd like to review them and then research what kind of things they consider about it to be so dangerous. I'd also like to review what kind of people who have lived in Minneapolis consider it dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised if it were those yokels from Prior Lake, Mn or Farmington, MN. I always crack up when those rural/suburban Minnesotans go to Minneapolis, see a girl in short skirt and fishnets, and think the place is Sin City. If those are the people who said that then I'll just shrug my shoulders and overlook it. Many people from rural/suburban Minnesota are easily impressionable. You go to the local mega grocery store in one of those areas and wear a black sweatshirt and trackpants and they'll think you're in a gang.

If they were yokels from other Midwestern states like Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Nebraska, and Iowa then I'll disregard their view also. The hicks from those states are easily intimidated by Minneapolis. It never, NEVER fails to crack me up how people from those states are intimidated by Minneapolis traffic. It is always good for a nice laugh when I hear those yokels talk about how horrible and congested Minnesota traffic is. They have no clue that Minnesota traffic is actually tame.

But I could go on and on about rural/suburban yokels in the Midwest. Just please supply me with the statistics. Thank you. *off to work*

Old 05-21-2008, 12:07 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
What! - I don't have the stats, nor do I like this moniker for the city, but here be some relevant sites:
murderapolis.org
Return to Murderapolis: Crime is up in Minneapolis, thanks to opposition to racial profiling
Urban Dictionary: Murderapolis
Murderapolis Once Again | Minneapolis Metblogs
MNspeak.com - Murderapolis Redux

I think you can thank the NYC papers for deflecting attention from their to your city

Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM

You know your city is safe, just as I know mine is. I try not to worry about what people think of St. Louis, esp. those who know little to nothing about the area.

But, yes Minneapolis has typically been in the top tier for crime along with St. Louis, Detroit and Oakland. Just because you don't want to see it doesn't make it less so. You can look at the stats right here on city-data.

But I did want to thank you: The notion of people being "intimidated" by Minneapolis is one of the funniest things I've heard in a while and provided me a nice laugh this afternoon.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 PM

This is great, guys! Thanks for the links! I've been living in MN since Nov. '94 and I've lived in and out of Minneapolis on a frequent basis. I've been going there from Burnsville, MN (15/20 minute drive to Minneapolis) like it was a trip to the mall. I've been all over every inch of that city: Uptown, near the lakes, downtown, Lake Street, on the edge of Minneapolis/St. Paul line, North Minneapolis, and I've never once known it to be a rough neighborhood. I've heard North Minneapolis is a rough area but I've never seen it be rough. I sometimes Mormons on bicycles who stick out like a sore thumb in "the most dangerous part of Minneapolis" and I don't see them having problems. Minneapolis was where I got my second job when I was 17. My parents sent me to live with my brother and I got a job downtown. When I was off work I'd walk around the city and feel comfortable around people like it was nothing. This is also the same place where I see mothers take their kids to the lake and they enjoy hours of fun at the beach. Heck, during the summer it is impossible to go around Lake Calhoun on a sunny day and not see high school kids playing volleyball. I've always thought this place could be anywhere between as exciting as a giant library to vaguely interesting. But now, I'm coming across new info that this place is dangerous. Wow! Cooooool!

It is good that people are actually noticing this place in some way. This place is generally forgotten. Real urbanites, people who love the city, always find Minneapolis on the dull side. I do not know about the people who are calling this place "Murderapolis" but I doubt they truly live in urban areas. My guess is they are suburban and rural people. But like I said before. No one really notices us up here in MN. Most people hate the cold or the passive-aggressive attitude of the people. So it is nice that people actually remember us and are trying to hype the city.

I'm sorry to go on and on about this but it is weird to come onto the St. Louis forum and see people rant about Minneapolis being dangerous. Imagine an Iowan going onto the L.A. forum and seeing people trash Des Moines for having too much traffic. He'd think, "Des Moines has traffic? Am I in the Twilight Zone? Is it opposite day? Where is Rod Serling?" His confusion would be as off the wall as my confusion is right now.

I do not really think those sources are very reputable: urban dictionary? freerepublic? metblogs (some random blog out of nowhere?)? I doubt those are good sources when looking for statistics. What about these statistics:
Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2007 — Infoplease.com
America's Safest (and Most Dangerous) Cities
Most Dangerous Cities 2007 - AOL Money & Finance
Experts say 'most dangerous city' rankings twist numbers - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/18/dangerous.cities.ap/index.html - broken link)
America's Deadliest Cities on Google Maps

None of these much more reputable sites have Minneapolis anywhere on the list. Not surprisingly, St. Louis is trying hard to compete with Detroit.

Seriously, "Murderapolis"? Wow. My guess is the people who came up with it are either rural people who are scared of this city or Minneapolis residents who really want to promote their often-forgotten city. Either way I guess I am glad. Somebody remembers us. I'll have fun telling my dad, who will turn 60 next month, to stop commuting to work because the Murderapolis may be too much for him. And the next time I am at Lake Calhoun I will tell all those suburban teens to watch out because Murderapolis may swallow them whole with all the violent crime that goes around there. Seriously, you can't trust all those hippies who go around their peace/love filth (Minneapolis has so many neo-hippies and yuppies it is not even funny).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis