Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:08 AM

702 posts, read 3,152,742 times

Advertisements

ST. LOUIS -- A surge in violence made St. Louis the most dangerous city in the country, leading a trend of violent crimes rising much faster in the Midwest than in the rest of nation, according to an annual list.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:00 PM

9 posts, read 65,349 times
Camden gets out of the hot seat. Man this years list was tottaly scrambled from last years. My hometown Richmond VA dropped 10 spots. Agree disagree what does everyone think of the list. I'm not sure but all i know is that Detroit is hell on earth.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:31 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,627 times
Missouri should be renamed Methouri.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:19 AM

56 posts, read 197,508 times
when i used to live there my friend had her car stolen out of her garage... LOL

Old 12-19-2006, 08:15 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,122,326 times
St. Louis has always ranked in the top 5 for crime for years.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:21 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
ST. LOUIS -- A surge in violence made St. Louis the most dangerous city in the country, leading a trend of violent crimes rising much faster in the Midwest than in the rest of nation, according to an annual list.
YAY.
When has St. Louis NOT had crime? People act like it is something new here..
Stay in the county. And not north county.. and you will be fine.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:26 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,483,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvafan4life2 View Post
I'm not sure but all i know is that Detroit is hell on earth.
It's funny that all the blacks that i work with in Detroit say D.C. is hell on earth!

Old 12-19-2006, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 10,145 times
I hate statistics. A lot. Because they often create a false image of a city that everybody will listen to without understanding what it truly means. And I see that type of misunderstanding on this board.

All american cities have a crime problem. I’m not trying to say we should all ignore this. The difference between St. Louis and most cities is that St. Louis can’t lie about its problem because it has nonsensical city limits.

Examples
Chicago covers 234 square miles
Memphis covers 314 squre miles
Kansas City covers 318 square miles
Houston covers 602 squre miles

St. Louis covers 61 squre miles. No, we’re not even in the triple digits.

The result is that areas like Clayton, or Webster Groves and other safe areas are outside of the city limits. This would not be the case in any of the other listed cities. Thus, the statistical crime rate of the city sky rockets

More to the point, if you were to find the crime rate of just the 61 square miles around the centers of any of these cities, their crime rates would skyrocket.

The reason statistics frustrate me is that now there are people who say “I try not to go into St. Louis City” but these same people would never avoid Chicago’s or Kansas City’s downtown. Instead, they say, “Statistics tell me that these cities are safer than St. Louis so I’ll patronize their businesses”. Maybe not in those exact words…

It’s much fairer to compare metropolitan areas to each other because numbers can not be skewed by nonsensical city limits. In that comparison, St. Louis is the 130th most dangerous metropolitan area.

I’m particularly frustrated because it seems like for the first time in a half century, the city is beginning to recover and I am really terrified that people will take these stats seriously, and that this will stop the city dead in its tracks.

Here’s to hoping for the best.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:25 PM

11 posts, read 50,540 times
I COULD AGREE NOT MORE WITH YOU. I AM FROM FLOIDA AND IS BY FAR THE 7 MOST DANGEROUS STATE WHERE STATE OF MISSOURI RANKS 20th.
THE FUNNY THING IS THE AVERAGE PERSON TAKES THOSE STATISTICS VERY SERIOUSLY. CRIME IS EVERYWHERE. NO ONE CITY IS IMMUNE FROM IT.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:40 AM

1,247 posts, read 927,096 times
Having grown up in St. Louis (St. Charles county, actually), but currently living in Florida, I can say St. Louis is much safer than Florida, even places like Fort Myers and Naples. The crimes stays in certain areas of St. Louis, and those areas are few in number. In Florida, you can become the victim of a violent crime ANYWHERE. It doesn't matter if you live in downtown Miami or in LaBelle, you're a potential victim.

As a previous poster stated, crime statistics are very easily manipulated to give a skewed perspective. Everyone has an agenda, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis