Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,184,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojohnson76 View Post
Wow goat314, I thought members of UrbanSTL were typically bigger cheerleaders of the city and less of a nay sayer. Your posts are ridiculous, and insulting. You love the city that you obviously fear? Give me a break, please.
I go in to the city often and I have never felt that I am in danger. Where do you live? North St Louis? Though your attitude makes me want to put you more in the 636 area code.
I was born on Marcus street in North St. Louis and grew up in University City. Moved to Florida when I was 17 and currently one year from the School of Urban and Regional Development. My grandfather worked for AFSCME the biggest union in St. Louis or Missouri for that matter and I've spent a considerable amount of time living and visiting the city. Trust me! Jive is probably the only person who loves St. Louis more than me. I'm just aware that St. Louis has serious social problems (and yes they are worst than most cities and currently we are in the same basket with the Detroit and Baltimore type cities no offense to those great cities) and I hope that it will one day change, but please believe there are sections of St. Louis that cops wont go to day or night. How do I know? I have St. Louis city and Wellston cops in my family.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:10 PM

287 posts, read 350,900 times
I understand your position, goat314, but to portray St Louis as a burning war zone (which is what an out of towner would gather from your posts) is just inaccurate. I have been all over the city and never have felt to be in any danger, although the panhandlers downtown aren't very welcoming.

To classify an entire city as "dangerous" is hurtful to the entire area. I never would have moved my family to the St Louis area if I thought that the entire city was "dangerous." I wouldn't be leaving the Illinois burbs for Maplewood in January if I thought that St. Louis was a dangerous city. It depends on where you go, and what time of day you go (ie, Crown Candy at 12:00pm on a Saturday, not exactly dangerous).

Know what I mean? I meant no disrespect to you, so please don't take it that way, your posts just caught me a bit off guard.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314
What they consider the ghetto is not near as bad as what St. Louis is
See what I mean? Notice you said "not near as bad as what St. Louis is" as opposed to "the ghettos of St. Louis."

Old 12-05-2007, 06:38 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,062,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I'm not sure anyone here ever argued that St. Louis is perfect, filled with roses and unicorns and that nothing bad ever happens there. ...snip...
Ummm,,, I could have swore that I did indeed glimpse upon a unicorn, and I do dare say that she was in a bed of roses... hmmmm...

Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,400,746 times
As far as St. Louis being number 1, that's in the past folks. Detroit is back to most dangerous. I think personally this thread is over for now.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I understand your position, goat314, but to portray St Louis as a burning war zone (which is what an out of towner would gather from your posts) is just inaccurate. I have been all over the city and never have felt to be in any danger, although the panhandlers downtown aren't very welcoming.

To classify an entire city as "dangerous" is hurtful to the entire area. I never would have moved my family to the St Louis area if I thought that the entire city was "dangerous." I wouldn't be leaving the Illinois burbs for Maplewood in January if I thought that St. Louis was a dangerous city. It depends on where you go, and what time of day you go (ie, Crown Candy at 12:00pm on a Saturday, not exactly dangerous).

Know what I mean? I meant no disrespect to you, so please don't take it that way, your posts just caught me a bit off guard.
I specifically talking about North St. Louis, which is a burning warzone. I've been in North St. Louis to visit family on Cass and didnt exactly feel safe and I was with my family. I doubt you would get out of your car and walk down St. Louis Avenue. I'm not saying St. Louis is the only city like that. I wouldnt walk down Halsted in Chicago or Compton Ave in LA by myself for that matter. Like I said! I love St. Louis but I'm not gonna deny it has serious social problems.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 PM

There is at least 1 street in every major city that most wouldn't walk down, and why the hell would you? Again, you are referring to the ENTIRE city when talking about one particular part (North STL). I hope no potential tourists/future STL residents are reading your posts.

You refer to a bad area of the city as "THE CITY." Give me a break man.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:40 PM

By the way, does the Old North St. Louis Restoration Group think that north city is a burning war zone?

Old 12-07-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
By the way, does the Old North St. Louis Restoration Group think that north city is a burning war zone?
North St. Louis is a warzone, South St. Louis is beautiful, but we have about 20-30sq miles of significant urban decay going on up there and that is not good. I was just up there less than a month ago, you can ride up and down the streets for hours. The only point I was trying to make is that St. Louis has an abnormally large ghetto for a city its size. I dont need to drag St. Louis's name in the dirt Morgan Quitno did a fine job already with his questionable rankings, but dont get it twisted St. Louis aint no walk in the park.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,496 times
Default i'm thinking about moving to st louis

and am somewhat daunted by the info. i love city/urban living but want to be in the safest of those areas. i have a young child and want to walk to places with her. can you suggest the areas for me to look to live in and buy. i'm interested in duplexes or mixed use property or single family residences. thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis