Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:55 AM

84 posts, read 339,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Hmmmm...really? Check out this site:

Warzone or St. Louis?

that has to be the dumbest site I have ever seen. It hasn't even been updated in over a year, guess its not to popular.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:02 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSTL View Post
I hate statistics. A lot. Because they often create a false image of a city that everybody will listen to without understanding what it truly means. And I see that type of misunderstanding on this board.

All american cities have a crime problem. I’m not trying to say we should all ignore this. The difference between St. Louis and most cities is that St. Louis can’t lie about its problem because it has nonsensical city limits.

Examples
Chicago covers 234 square miles
Memphis covers 314 squre miles
Kansas City covers 318 square miles
Houston covers 602 squre miles

St. Louis covers 61 squre miles. No, we’re not even in the triple digits.

The result is that areas like Clayton, or Webster Groves and other safe areas are outside of the city limits. This would not be the case in any of the other listed cities. Thus, the statistical crime rate of the city sky rockets

More to the point, if you were to find the crime rate of just the 61 square miles around the centers of any of these cities, their crime rates would skyrocket.

The reason statistics frustrate me is that now there are people who say “I try not to go into St. Louis City” but these same people would never avoid Chicago’s or Kansas City’s downtown. Instead, they say, “Statistics tell me that these cities are safer than St. Louis so I’ll patronize their businesses”. Maybe not in those exact words…

It’s much fairer to compare metropolitan areas to each other because numbers can not be skewed by nonsensical city limits. In that comparison, St. Louis is the 130th most dangerous metropolitan area.

I’m particularly frustrated because it seems like for the first time in a half century, the city is beginning to recover and I am really terrified that people will take these stats seriously, and that this will stop the city dead in its tracks.

Here’s to hoping for the best.
perhaps ---if the laundry is clean we don't need to talk about it or wash it.
otherwise comments are appropriate.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:18 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutofmn View Post
Sorry but if you are looking for places without rising crime, Minneapolis is not one of them. Random shootings and muggings on the rise downtown, a surge in murders last year and both the beginning of this year (several in the first few weeks of Jan alone) have brought back rise to the name "Murderapolis" originally coined in the mid 90-s. I wont take me or my family downtown anymore, even during the day. Oh and then there's the taxes and the awful weather. Stay in St Louis...Minneapolis is not the place to go!
Really? What is the crime rate in STL now compared to MPLS? I'll take my chances in MPLS.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:57 PM

5 posts, read 14,052 times
I'm going to be relocating to St Louis within a few months. THIS POST SCARED THE LIGHTS OUTTA ME! Thanks for adding input and calming me down all your responses.... then again I lived in Hollywood for eight years. I think I can take on almost any neighborhood lol

Old 04-09-2008, 09:39 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,838,562 times
My Dad grew up in STL City and I have friends who have lived there. They turned out fine.

Just do a little research before you pick a place. Most neighborhoods will be just fine.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,982,480 times
Too many people would look at statistics and get scarred.

If you live a clean lifestyle and hang with good people you can avoid most crime.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:35 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,642,167 times
I am glad the explanations made you feel better. That was really the goal of many who posted here.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 PM

51 posts, read 63,944 times
Yeah, this is idiotic. Especially the Warzone or St. Louis? website. If you don't like it here, then move, [MOD CUT]. They took pictures of the nicest areas in a warzone and in the worst areas of the city. I don't think they're fooling anyone.

No need to be scared in the city if you aren't hanging with drug dealers or coke mules.

Last edited by da jammer; 04-11-2008 at 02:42 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 07:52 PM

48 posts, read 150,253 times
I try to give a positive impression of STL to anyone not familiar with the area. Although I don't paint STL as a perfect paradise I also usually get those same people to see that the city is not a bad place at all to live. I usually tell them that while the city still has a ways to go to be a NY, Chi, LA etc. it has it's own unique taste and is on the come up. What I dislike the most though about the city is it's public schools which I guess can deter quite a few but what they fail to realize that the city has good magnet, charter, and private schools. I notice that most people who bash the city are in the St. Charles county or St. Clair county constantly bringing up St. Louis as being crime infested. I rarely here people in the city bash the city unless they are from the poorer areas wishing to get away to greener pastures. Sorry for the rant.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:04 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,838,562 times
I love the city, even though I don't live there. You're on the ground and you look up. It's like, wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis