Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 AM

26 posts, read 70,092 times

Advertisements

I am from Switzerland , and i am new in saint Louis because of my Phd in university but now i feel very very down , people in saint Louis behave very strange ! they behave almost rude ! i just wonder which city in US they are the most polite city and its more similar to European type and which city is rudest one !

Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
You'd have to be more specific. What do you find rude about St. Louisans?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
You'd have to be more specific. What do you find rude about St. Louisans?
yesterday i just ordered food from domino and when i did ask deliverer guy for my change back , he just threw all the money on floor ! this is only one example so far i saw .. i never can imagine same in Europe...

Old 06-16-2011, 07:30 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
I found St. Louis people to be very friendly, almost to the point that it was creepy. Were you in a ghetto area or something? People there tend to be rude. It's like that in Memphis.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:34 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
aaaahhahahaha! You don't tip someone for delivery and then call out an entire city for being rude based on the pizza guy's reaction?? Amazing.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I found St. Louis people to be very friendly, almost to the point that it was creepy. Were you in a ghetto area or something? People there tend to be rude. It's like that in Memphis.
i am in Webster grooves ! which according to others , i hear this area is one of the top class part of st louis ! hm but the things i saw in here is very different with high class and top class areas !

Old 06-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
aaaahhahahaha! You don't tip someone for delivery and then call out an entire city for being rude based on the pizza guy's reaction?? Amazing.
dear, i told you this one as only example ! please dont take it personally ! another example i see people when you say hi to them they are like what you want ! when u say bye no answer , i am sorry i only try to picture situations that i faced with some example that i saw so far ! ( I NEED TO ADD THIS OLDER PEOPLE GENERALLY 40+ THEY ARE ALMOST MORE NEAR TO EUROPEAN TYPE AND I SEE THIS ONLY BETWEEN YOUNG AGES PEOPLE)
by the way i always tip ! but this guy even didn't let me to give him tip he just threw all the money on floor!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:41 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfacek View Post
i am in Webster grooves ! which according to others , i hear this area is one of the top class part of st louis ! hm but the things i saw in here is very different with high class and top class areas !
oh, well I've never been to Webster Groves, but I've found that the nicest people were in the wealthiest areas like Ladue, Frontenac, and Clayton, which was really unexpected. I'm not white or rich but people were very friendly.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I've had rude pizza delivery drivers too -- you should call and complain, not assume everyone in St. Louis is that way.

Additionally, next time instead of asking the driver to give you back all the change so that you can then tip him, it's more polite to tell him how much to give you back. So say your pizza costs $12.45 and you give him a $20 bill. Instead of having him give you back $7.55 only to then tip him, you should say "Just give me back $5."

It's also possible he was very high and missed your hand. Most pizza delivery drivers I've known are huge pot heads

As far as folks not saying hi or bye to you, that's likely a cultural difference and you're simply coming on a bit strong. Most Americans in large cities don't really talk to strangers.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:40 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
People in the South are known to be the most friendly, though I certainly don't find people here in St Louis unfriendly.

Although I've never been to Switzerland, my fiance and I have spent a decent amount of time in Germany, and we've seen notable differences between German and US culture. For example, when he went to work in Germany, he noticed people say good morning to every person they pass in the office as they make their way to their own office. Also, when we were in restaurants, everyone that walked in would greet every person they passed that was already seated, and they would say hi back. This certainly doesn't happen here--the culture is just different. This certainly doesn't excuse the pizza delivery guy though--that's just not cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis