Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:24 AM

778 posts, read 2,323,012 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

Its been a while since I’ve posted on city data, and I’m really starting to consider some of my future options. First off, a little about myself. I’m a single, 24 yr old AA male, been out of college for a little over a year now (class of 2009), and I currently live in Oklahoma City. I’m fortunate enough to have a pretty good job in my field here, but quite frankly I’m just getting tired of Oklahoma and I would kinda like to move around and see some new things while I’m still young. I won’t be moving for a while, at the earliest late spring 2011for the mere fact I know it will take me that long to probably find a job, but its fine since it will give me some time to save some $$ and boost my resume with a little more experience. I had my heart set on Chicago, but the more I research it the more I don’t think I would like it. Way too cold, expensive, too much traffic, etc. I would like to live in a city that has character and many cultural amenities, within a days driving distance of my family (most of them live in Texas or Oklahoma), urban neighborhoods where driving can be kept at a minimum, but still livable where I don’t feel like I’m in a giant rat race. Just on the general research I’ve done, it looks like Saint Louis might be a good possibility. So I have a few questions?

Whats the job market like? I got my BBA in 2009, and I currently work for an oil and gas company, specifically working to obtain land property leases on federal land. I know there are not a lot of jobs in my field up there, but my skill set can transfer to anything that involves energy, utilities, or right of way acquisitions. And I’m actually looking to get out of the oil and gas industry anyway. How difficult would it be to find a job that’s not really in my field when I don’t live there?

Also, just in the quick research I’ve done, the areas around Clayton and the Central West End are grabbing my attention. How much do nice rentals go for? With the salary figure I have in my head, I’d be comfortable paying up to $900/month, about what I pay in OKC for a pretty top-of-the-line condo rental. And how are those areas? Would you describe them as a good fit for someone like me?
I apologize for the insane amount of questions, but the more I look at St. Louis the more I like it!! It seems like a very underrated city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 11:55 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
St. Louis is home to 3 of the 10 largest coal companies in the world. #1 Peabody, Arch Coal, and Partiot Coal. The largest local oil company is Apex Oil.

In Clayton or the CWE you would have many many great options for a 1-2bedroom 1-2bath at that 900/mo price point. The central corridor is most popular with 20-30 somethings. Clayton is kinda like our Uptown. The CWE is very cosmopolitian, The Delmar loops is very walkable and quite bohemian. (eclectic shops, live music)... Downtown is a very fun place to live, lots going on down there. Soulard is kinda our version of the french quarter with a pub or two on every corner. Just to name a few...

I know the drive from St. Louis to OK to TX very well. It's pretty much a straigh shot. 4-5hrs to Tulsa, 5-6 hrs to OKC, 9-10 hrs to Dallas, 12hrs to austin.

All locals are a quick and cheap direct flight via AA or SWA.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 PM

11 posts, read 10,016 times
SoonerFan,

Have you done a pro/con analysis between OKC and STL? Here's an an example of what I'm referring to:

STL pros over OKC (I lived in Norman for a year):

Slightly less oppressive heat and humidity.
Lower tornado risk
Noticeably cooler - but not frigid - winters
A bit more liberal than OKC, but more insular and narrow-minded in selected pockets
A bit more diversity, particularly in the city
A few more options with professional sports teams, although you'll probably laugh yourself silly if you go to a Mizzou game - Mizzou fans' passion pale in comparison to Sooner fans.
Better parks
Better nightclubs

STL cons over OKC

People in STL are noticeably more rude and arrogant. You begin to feel some of the Eastern/Northeastern "Ice" here among the people. You won't experience the "Western Hospitality" that is in OKC.
Yes, Clayton and CWE are your best bets. When moving to St. Louis, your crime rate ramps up exponentially...as will your insurance premiums....depending on where you reside. Many people on here will say "oh, live in Soulard, TGS, CWE etc." - all great areas but very suceptible to vehicle theft, particularly Soulard/TGS.
You'll get dumb, small-minded questions like "Where'd you go to High School?" Waxing nostalgic runs excessive here - one of the many reasons that very little is being done to progress the area - no one wants to live for the future, let alone the past. Ask any implant what they think of the older locals, and they'll give you an amusing and candid earful.
People in STL are noticeably unhealthier than those in Oklahoma. 1 out of every 3 adults smoke here - fortunately, this is a dying trend
A certain stagnacy. Same group of people since second grade soccer. Same pork steak and Buttwiper Beer on Friday nights at (insert local dive diner here).

Jobs are extra challenging to acquire here because again, it's a very parochial, "do you know so-and-so I went to church with him/her and played soccer with him/her blah blah blah." At my workplace, I work with two acquantainces of the owner and they are both boxes of rocks. It's something you'll have to get used to.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:17 PM

529 posts, read 1,009,046 times
^^ Oh look, its a Dinsdale protege.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:57 PM

11 posts, read 10,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm_ad View Post
^^ Oh look, its a Dinsdale protege.
I am no one's disciple. Unlike most St. Louis natives, I can clearly and intelligently think for myself and forge a perspective without undue, poorly phrased outside influence.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
its so difficult for locals to accept that St. Louis pretty much sucks for most transplants

Old 08-22-2010, 03:39 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
You know that's funny stuff right there. As I've mentioned on here thousands of times I work with many and am involved with several local organizations full of transplanted people, the vast majority of which quite like it here.

But I can say that again and again since you seem to have no qualm in saying the same thing 1000 times yourself.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:57 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
its so difficult for locals to accept that St. Louis pretty much sucks for most transplants

That's pretty much dead on for the socially awkward introverts. But the transplants I know, ya know normal socially out going type of folk, they seem to think StL is a pretty cool place. It's all what you make of it really.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
That's pretty much dead on for the socially awkward introverts. But the transplants I know, ya know normal socially out going type of folk, they seem to think StL is a pretty cool place. It's all what you make of it really.
Doing quite fine in CA with a more diverse population. Did quite well, with no complaints in every other city have lived in. St. Louis just plain sucked.

And I don't think anyone has ever called me an introvert. Ever.
But I guess that's the just the pre-judging nature of the local population.

StlL:Been there. Did that, didn't even bother buying the t shirt. Happy to be out of there.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:12 PM

see, its so difficult for locals to accept that St. Louis pretty much sucks for most transplants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis