Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:45 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,018,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^That's by far my least favorite thing about the left coast. Why on earth would you want to spend that much time in the car? I've driven a total of 10 miles this week.
I ride my bike to work. 7 miles along the Ocean every morning.

Many of my friends are within walking or cycling distance.

but I do not hold it against my distant friends if I have to drive a bit, like they do in Saint Louis.

Its actually fun to get a croup of people together in the Desert or to Catalina (cycle to the Ferry / 26 miles across the sea....).

Old 06-17-2011, 01:47 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,018,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Wow, it's weird how we have such different experiences. I lived in OC for 10 yrs and Sacramento for 15 yrs. When I moved to St Louis, I was overwhelmed by our courteous and friendly people were. Men would hurry to get ahead of me so they could open the door for me. Definitely NOT something I ever experienced in CA.
Don't know where you lived in OC. Perhaps Stanton? Santa Ana? Garden Grove?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:11 PM

150 posts, read 244,162 times
I don't know about people in St. Louis being rude but why are there so many obese people here? I've never seen so many fat children in my life!

Old 06-17-2011, 05:29 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,756,183 times
^St. Louis ranked 16th fittest out of 50 metro areas. Even beating out of all the metros in California except for San Francisco (which ranks 12th). 2009 Fittest & Fattest Cities - Men's Fitness Please travel to different cities and you'll see it's much worse in many places.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,843,170 times
America in general is fat. That's just the way things are headed. People eat poorly (I am guilty, I admit), live sedentary lifestyles, and then they put on weight.

I think I probably burned some calories from laughing at this thread. My goodness. So strange.

People from Switzerland are strange.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,026,094 times
I think people in STL are fairly fat...lol...Despite how much the new urbanites feel with regards to walkability and exercise the VAST MAJORITY of St. Louis is VERY VERY VERY car dependent, so you're typically day = Get up, Shower, Sit in Car, Sit at Work, Sit in Car, Sit at home, Sleep, Repeat. Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of St. Louis folks who are active, i have numerous friends who run in marathons, play active/competitive sports, or do Triathlons...and even others who ride their bicycles into work on a regular basis.

I think part of the "America is fat" is because we rarely NEED for anything. We have a highly educated workforce, who would prefer office jobs to manual labor. We consume tons yet on an individual basis produce very little. You're not going to find the masses hanging out in the fields trying to make corn grow, but you will see us lined up 20 deep at starbucks, McD's, or White Castle. We have a very "easy" lifestyle here, it was earned by lots of hard work by previous generations and my biggest fear is that it'll be lost because the current/future generations won't be able to achieve when the going gets tough...Hope i'm wrong.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:47 AM

26 posts, read 70,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I think people in STL are fairly fat...lol...Despite how much the new urbanites feel with regards to walkability and exercise the VAST MAJORITY of St. Louis is VERY VERY VERY car dependent, so you're typically day = Get up, Shower, Sit in Car, Sit at Work, Sit in Car, Sit at home, Sleep, Repeat. Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of St. Louis folks who are active, i have numerous friends who run in marathons, play active/competitive sports, or do Triathlons...and even others who ride their bicycles into work on a regular basis.

I think part of the "America is fat" is because we rarely NEED for anything. We have a highly educated workforce, who would prefer office jobs to manual labor. We consume tons yet on an individual basis produce very little. You're not going to find the masses hanging out in the fields trying to make corn grow, but you will see us lined up 20 deep at starbucks, McD's, or White Castle. We have a very "easy" lifestyle here, it was earned by lots of hard work by previous generations and my biggest fear is that it'll be lost because the current/future generations won't be able to achieve when the going gets tough...Hope i'm wrong.

guys i wonder how comes in st louis , there is no such place like Beverly hills in cali where people chill with their top class cars over there ! by the way i have never seen Lamborghini in this city! you guys should check Switzerland

Old 06-18-2011, 06:25 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,890,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfacek View Post
guys i wonder how comes in st louis , there is no such place like Beverly hills in cali where people chill with their top class cars over there ! by the way i have never seen Lamborghini in this city! you guys should check Switzerland
Can we ban this clown already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis