Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,026,094 times

Advertisements

I'd agree with Aragx...You can easily find an apartment in StL County in that price range. But it most likely won't be all that modern, in terms of new construction. We rented a fairly new place in Creve Coeur, 2 Br for about 1200...1 BR were going in the 800 range if memory serves me right. We actually looked at a different two BR that would have cost 1100 give or take a few pennies, but had 1980's era appliances, still in Creve Coeur.

The real benefits of newer construction are in the amenities and appliances. Typically, you've got newer more effecient dish washers, fridges, air conditioners, H20 heaters, etc...which can cut down on some of your utilities costs. Most renovated apartments/lofts will give you the same benefits too, so if you're trying to stay within your price point AND get a modern apartment you might want to explore St. Louis City...long as that won't hamper your lifestyle, commute time, fuel budget, or you simply dislike urban living, i think it might be a viable option .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM

589 posts, read 1,109,018 times
That was my point - I live in a rennovated school with a variety of apartments - mine was rennovated 2 years ago when I moved in (2 bedroom, new carpeting, and appliances, and under 700.00 with additional rent for a pet).

Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 PM

266 posts, read 464,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I'd agree with Aragx...You can easily find an apartment in StL County in that price range. But it most likely won't be all that modern, in terms of new construction. We rented a fairly new place in Creve Coeur, 2 Br for about 1200...1 BR were going in the 800 range if memory serves me right. We actually looked at a different two BR that would have cost 1100 give or take a few pennies, but had 1980's era appliances, still in Creve Coeur.

The real benefits of newer construction are in the amenities and appliances. Typically, you've got newer more effecient dish washers, fridges, air conditioners, H20 heaters, etc...which can cut down on some of your utilities costs. Most renovated apartments/lofts will give you the same benefits too, so if you're trying to stay within your price point AND get a modern apartment you might want to explore St. Louis City...long as that won't hamper your lifestyle, commute time, fuel budget, or you simply dislike urban living, i think it might be a viable option .
Ok that makes sense. What areas in St. Louis city?

Also is St. Louis unique in that you have to pay more for modern apartments and appliances? I haven't had this problem in other cities. I understand that rent is high everywhere, but from what I've seen finding something modern was not. Could be wrong, that's just my experience.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:05 PM

actually what you're going to notice is that many St. Louis City apartment complexes and lofts have been renovated or are fairly new. The common places you'd typically find non-renovated homes would be 2 family flats/multi family homes in South St. Louis that have been rented out for years. If you're downtown, most of the lofts on the Washington Ave area were completed within the last 2-10 years. You'll also find numerous places in Soulard that have been renovated, and i'm sure that's true also for Benton Park. I think two buddies of mine are paying under $700 for a 2 bed room basement apartment in Benton Park. Much of this will depend on what you're wanting, but if you'd like a loft, bar/nightclub access and a very "hip" area, i'd definitely consider downtown lofts along Washington Ave, lots of restaurants just outside your door, bars, clubs, and some shopping too...plus you're in the heart of downtown. Soulard isn't a bad spot either, lots of bars and younger folks there, plenty of great restaurants (Joanie's pizza, Llewellyn pub, Johnny's (if that's your thing), Tucker's Place and relatively close access to downtown. Benton Park is just across I-55 and once again has some awesome places to eat, party, or relax. I'm a huge fan of Blue's City Deli, Hodak's is fairly close as well, and i think there's a place called Benton Park Cafe but i don't' think I've ever tried it. Oh, and Bogart's is in Soulard on the edge of Benton Park as well, and is excellent BBQ...there are also some very awesome and unique shopping experiences around the area, especially if you like browsing through antiques And the actual Benton park is rather pretty as well....

Another area (at a higher price point however) would be the Central West End (CWE) but i don't know if you could get in there in the sub $700 range...maybe a 1BR, but i dunno if that's possible...someone with more experience in the area could probably tell you more.

I've got a couple buddies who rent converted homes in the Cherokee, Benton Park and Soulard areas as well...I think the rent isn't to expensive and all seem to enjoy the amenities but updates range depending on the owners taste and available funds.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
actually what you're going to notice is that many St. Louis City apartment complexes and lofts have been renovated or are fairly new. The common places you'd typically find non-renovated homes would be 2 family flats/multi family homes in South St. Louis that have been rented out for years. If you're downtown, most of the lofts on the Washington Ave area were completed within the last 2-10 years. You'll also find numerous places in Soulard that have been renovated, and i'm sure that's true also for Benton Park. I think two buddies of mine are paying under $700 for a 2 bed room basement apartment in Benton Park. Much of this will depend on what you're wanting, but if you'd like a loft, bar/nightclub access and a very "hip" area, i'd definitely consider downtown lofts along Washington Ave, lots of restaurants just outside your door, bars, clubs, and some shopping too...plus you're in the heart of downtown. Soulard isn't a bad spot either, lots of bars and younger folks there, plenty of great restaurants (Joanie's pizza, Llewellyn pub, Johnny's (if that's your thing), Tucker's Place and relatively close access to downtown. Benton Park is just across I-55 and once again has some awesome places to eat, party, or relax. I'm a huge fan of Blue's City Deli, Hodak's is fairly close as well, and i think there's a place called Benton Park Cafe but i don't' think I've ever tried it. Oh, and Bogart's is in Soulard on the edge of Benton Park as well, and is excellent BBQ...there are also some very awesome and unique shopping experiences around the area, especially if you like browsing through antiques And the actual Benton park is rather pretty as well....

Another area (at a higher price point however) would be the Central West End (CWE) but i don't know if you could get in there in the sub $700 range...maybe a 1BR, but i dunno if that's possible...someone with more experience in the area could probably tell you more.

I've got a couple buddies who rent converted homes in the Cherokee, Benton Park and Soulard areas as well...I think the rent isn't to expensive and all seem to enjoy the amenities but updates range depending on the owners taste and available funds.

Thanks for your help!

I'd love to live downtown (I think it'd be the best fit) but I heard that parking is expensive (100-200 per month) and that there are a lot of break ins as well.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Check with the complex, some places have available secured parking, whiel others will force you to park on the street. If you've got secured/gated parking, i wouldn't worry to much about auto theft break ins. The other big deal is leaving stuff in the open, don't put a GPS in your window, or the mount for one. Take your cell phone and charger with you when you leave the vehicle, and don't park in a spot and then begin to stuff things in the glovebox...If you don't leave anything important in your car, you could probably leave the car unlocked to ensure you don't have any damage to door locks . But that'd be my basic "streetsmarts" with regards to your vehicle...If the perp walks by and looks in the window but doesn't see anything interesting, he'll probably move on until something catches his eye...breaking into a car could land a person some jail time, most folks aren't going to go around breaking car windows, or jimmying door locks unless there's a good reason to, and that reason is in plain sight.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Hazelwood is definitely cheaper simply because it's not as desirable (not that Maryland Heights is particularly special per se). And H-Wood's schools are pretty bad. There's probably a much higher percentage of nasty apartment complexes in Hazelwood when compared

Racially it's an area in transition -- it's grown considerably more black over time -- it's hard to say what that means for long term, but as a white person you definitely wouldn't be out of place in Hazelwood.

I would suggest looking in Florissant or Ferguson -- I think both are nicer communities all around, but will still provide that "north county discount" you're looking for in rent. Florissant actually has a pretty cute old downtown area.

If you share what your budget is and what you're looking for (and where you work) we could probably offer better suggestions.

Is Florissant or Ferguson clean though? I've been searching, and the prices there are so cheap. I'm just suspicious.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,646,457 times
^The schools aren't as good, and the area in general not considered as desirable as west county. That's the entirety of the difference in pricing.

It doesn't have the upscale shopping or the super nice grocery stores, but crime rates in both Florissant and Ferguson are minimal.

The quality of your neighbors will likely be comparable at your price point no matter where in the metro you look.

I have a friend who lives a mile or so from Old Town Florissant on a nice quiet street and would never hesitate to recommend it to others.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:43 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,601,140 times
Since you live in the area, I'd suggest you pick a day or two and spend a few hours an drive around these communities. You're definition of clean and modern etc, etc may be totally different than others. And, at least for me, it can be really fun to explore new areas.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 AM

What about Maplewood? Is it clean and safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis