Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times

Advertisements

i've just moved back to maryland heights as a home renter after living somewhere else a few years back. i was just wondering what the home values are like now there. i've just noticed that there seem to be a lot of homes for sale in the area. any other maryland heights residents here notice that? or is it just my imagination? also, it makes me wonder, considering that avg. home values are dropping like bricks, how so many people seem to be able to move all of a sudden. thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
I wouldn't say housing prices are falling like bricks -- in most of the St. Louis area home prices have pretty much stabilized. Small price drops may still be likely, but sometimes people gotta move. A lot of people moved into houses thinking they'd only be there 2-4 years and are now getting anxious to move on or up -- even if it's for little or no profit. Thankfully far fewer folks are underwater on their mortgages here than in some places that got hit the worst such as in Florida and Nevada.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I wouldn't say housing prices are falling like bricks -- in most of the St. Louis area home prices have pretty much stabilized. Small price drops may still be likely, but sometimes people gotta move. A lot of people moved into houses thinking they'd only be there 2-4 years and are now getting anxious to move on or up -- even if it's for little or no profit. Thankfully far fewer folks are underwater on their mortgages here than in some places that got hit the worst such as in Florida and Nevada.
My friend bought his house 2 years ago and has lost $20k on it. I'd say they are still dropping slowly - the more houses on the market + time it takes to sell = lower prices.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:43 AM

^Unless I knew how much the house was, it's hard to see how significant that loss is.

But to be honest, it's more likely that it's a combination of small price drops over those two years (think 5-10%) and that they, at least slightly, overpaid for it to begin with.

Hopefully they're not trying to sell a house they bought 2 years ago though, right? Is that just the assessor's valuation?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,001 times
There are a lot of homes for sale EVERYWHERE, it's not just limited to Maryland Heights. My wife and I were driving to church, and while going down ONE street, we litterally saw 6 homes for sale within one block. The prices will depend on the age and condition of the home, but area to area they'll probably be pretty consistent unless condition differs significantly between one house to another. I'd expect in Maryland Heights you'll find the vast majority of homes between 160k-210k...some will be higher and some will be lower, especially depending on neighborhood but that'd be a pretty good ballpark. You should check a realtor website and view the homes in your area, Prustl.com has a great map search which i like, and you can narrow things down by price range, features, etc.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
My friend bought his house 2 years ago and has lost $20k on it. I'd say they are still dropping slowly - the more houses on the market + time it takes to sell = lower prices.

So he sold it for 20k less than he paid?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:46 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,148 times
Unfortunately I may find myself in a similar situation, though definitely not 20k in the hole. The market just flat out sucks.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:51 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,743 times
If I sold my place right now it would probably sell for 50k less than I paid for it in 2004. I'm not selling right now though so I couldn't care less.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Unfortunately I may find myself in a similar situation, though definitely not 20k in the hole. The market just flat out sucks.
Oh, do you own in STL? That sucks.

We keep getting pressure from family and friends to buy here in KC while the market is good, and at times it's been really tempting. But I don't want to stay in this town one day more than it makes sense for. I'd be heartbroken to get stuck bc we bought a house we didn't need.

Plus I pay $600 for a crappy but huge apartment in a neighborhood I love. No mortgage in the area would be so low.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:51 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,148 times
^Yes. It sucks hard. My advice is that if you have any inkling about moving in the next 5 years, or maybe in the next 10 years, don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis