Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the St. Louis area for work. The new job is in Maryland Heights and while I don't have to be terribly close, I'd prefer <20 minutes for a commute.

I'm 30 & single so would prefer somewhere with a better chance to meet and socialize. I'm not too concerned about price (coming from DC so everything should be relatively affordable I think) or school districts.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 08:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
I'd say University City or Clayton are probably your best bets. Look any closer, and it'll feel more suburban than I'm guessing you'd like as a 30 year old single person. That'll put you right around 20 minutes since it's mostly surface street commuting and not highway.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Look into this place:
The Pavilion Apartments
It is mostly people in their late 20s, early 30s. They have large grill-out parties, sand volleyball leagues, lots of use of the swimming pool. Basically, lots of social amenities that are actively used by many of the residents who are in your age range.
What I am not sure of is how much of the complex is young families and young couples (it is popular with young families because it is inside the boundaries of the Parkway district) and how much is young singles.

I live near this area, and there are several decent apartment complexes along McKelvey that are close to or in Maryland Heights. This one seems to have the most active social life.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:05 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I'ad agree with Billiken about U City or Clayton -- both would give you an easy non-highway commute and will have more nightlife. Maryland Heights is a nice, safe area, but it's not the most exciting suburb there ever was.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:30 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,298 times
I second U-City and Clayton, I would stay out of anywhere outside of the 270 loop as the nightlife is not good. I know a lot of people that live in Brentwood Forest and really like it, seems to be very young and in a good location.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
The apartments over on McKelvy (in Maryland Heights) do have a lot of young professionals in them. When i was still flying for a living, the complex on the right (just passed Marine - Going South) was home to numerous pilots I worked with, and lots of our Flight Attendants too...Finding 20-somethings hanging out over there would be very simple.

Clayton is a nice spot, very high end in terms of St. Louis Pricing, but very very very very nice. U-City is a cool hangout, although the Loop seems taken over more by teenagers than young adults. It still has tons of small shops, restaurants, bars, etc...but you're typically having to push 16 year olds out of the way to get to them.

Downtown is always an option, but it'd put you at about a 25-30 minute commute. And their are probably less kids hanging out on Washington Ave late at night.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
U-City is a cool hangout, although the Loop seems taken over more by teenagers than young adults. It still has tons of small shops, restaurants, bars, etc...but you're typically having to push 16 year olds out of the way to get to them.
I have to think this is mostly overstated. I was on the Loop on a Saturday night only about a month ago -- the weather was gorgeous -- and there weren't any more teens than any other group of people down there. I found it to be a mix of just about everybody and it was more 20-something/30-something as the evening wore on.

And from having friends that live nearby, the apartments and houses in the vicinity are skewed heavily to the 20s/30s set.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,298 times
^
this

Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
Maybe i need to hang out down there more. LoL. I think the last time i was down there late at night it was earlier in the summer, and there were TONS of kids everywhere...I do like the area though, if i had the dough, U-City would be high on my "move-to" list.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
To add to my comment about the McKelvey area, it is also a very quick drive to downtown from there. You can get on I-270 within 2 minutes, take I-270 to I-64 to downtown in less than 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis