Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:58 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,658,614 times

Advertisements

Hi, Tambre!

I can't offer much since you've already gotten such great advice but a few things came to mind as I read the posts...and since then, I've been thinking about it some more...

1. Be sure to put plenty of insulation all around, especially in the roof.
2. Have you considered solar power for saving money on electric and those inevitable power outages?
3. About the asphalt melting, I wonder how much of it is due to the humidity. I'm only guessing but it just seems weird since the heat isn't greater than in CA and I don't remember asphalt melting there. Anyone else got any thoughts on that?
4. I think skeating was only talking about not doing crawl spaces...I don't think he was against basements...but I don't know...I just thought I'd comment since he hasn't responded yet. For anyone interested, here's a link to a storm shelter site that looks good: http://www.reliablestormshelters.com/index.htm
5. I did some Googling of my own and Zero Tolerance is usually discussed in Direct Vent Gas Fireplace Systems. Here's a link to a site with into on them: http://www.vanguardheaters.com/
6. If you want to buy in the country and you won't be paying for your water bill, I recommend installing a manual water pump at the same time that your well is being drilled and installed. That way, you'll have water even in a power outage.
7. On generators...Most people don't think about the amount of gas that is required to run a generator and if the power outage is widespread, you'll have to have plenty of gas containers handy and be prepared to drive a ways to get to a gas station that has power. After the January 2007 storm, I talked to a woman who said she used something like $60 a day on gas for her generator! I have no way of verifying that but if so, that was before prices were as high as they are today!
8. I saw them use that Hardy Board on HGTV recently. They were convinced it was wonderful, too...and would last forever.

I really am out of my league here and probably shouldn't have posted at all, especially since there have been more great posts since I started this earlier today...but I've done the work so will post it anyway. If anyone else has any corrections to what I've written, correct away...!

P.S. BabyFace...my dh said that the vinyl siding installers are supposed to put the nails at certain distances and wherever there's a stud but they sometimes get in a hurry and don't do them all and that's probably why yours makes noise when it's windy. Bummer, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 11:09 PM

104 posts, read 401,715 times
Default re: mrs g

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post

P.S. BabyFace...my dh said that the vinyl siding installers are supposed to put the nails at certain distances and wherever there's a stud but they sometimes get in a hurry and don't do them all and that's probably why yours makes noise when it's windy. Bummer, huh?
Yeah, I would love hubby to fix it but this vinal siding is a new thing to us and don't want to screw it up....
He had to replace some plus molding when the dogs tried to get in during a thunder storm, he said it was a real pain in the back side. That was just a small spot under the deck.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:42 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,151,548 times
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the great advice. From your posts, it seems that maybe a propane generator would be better than a gas generator. BFM, sorry to hear about your noisy vinyl...hope you find an easy solution to your problem. Also thanks for the websites on storm shelters and direct vent stoves. Does having a storm shelter in any way affect your homeowner's insurance premium? Are skylights used in Missouri? Oh, one thing I know from my minimal experience in hanging vinyl siding is that you don't nail the nails all the way in. You also have to make sure that each layer is snapped into the one below it. You can bang on it to make it attach, in case that is the problem. We have Tyvex and fanfold styrofoam under ours, which may also make it quieter...not sure. Thanks again for all the terrific information, it is greatly appreciated! Tambre

Old 01-01-2008, 10:53 PM

471 posts, read 1,328,752 times
With all the hills around, a walk-out basement on the south side of a hill is my choice. You have to be underground to be safe in a tornado. I grew up working on a dairy farm and always thought that if I was working in the field and saw a tornado coming that the dairy barn would be the safest place to get to ( all concrete walls with 3 foot tall x 3 foot wide soild concrete walk ways for the cows on both sides of the barn). Then one night the milk barn was hit by an F-0 tornado ( the smallest there is) and it was completely leveled. Several big chunks of the concrete wall was thrown on the roof of the house several hunderd feet away. Storms in the Ozarks are something you will deal with at sometime if you live here for long enough. I have been in 2 tornados and it sucked.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
With all the hills around, a walk-out basement on the south side of a hill is my choice. You have to be underground to be safe in a tornado. I grew up working on a dairy farm and always thought that if I was working in the field and saw a tornado coming that the dairy barn would be the safest place to get to ( all concrete walls with 3 foot tall x 3 foot wide soild concrete walk ways for the cows on both sides of the barn). Then one night the milk barn was hit by an F-0 tornado ( the smallest there is) and it was completely leveled. Several big chunks of the concrete wall was thrown on the roof of the house several hunderd feet away. Storms in the Ozarks are something you will deal with at sometime if you live here for long enough. I have been in 2 tornados and it sucked.
Hi Mongazid,

After reading your post, southside of the hill with a walkout basement, sounds like a good idea. I would love to hear the details of your tornado experiences. Do tornadoes usually come from a certain direction, such as the north? Since we are talking natural disasters, how much of a concern is lightning and hail? Is there more of a risk by having a two storey house, or being on top of a hill, with regards to lightning/tornados. The power of nature is truly awesome. If you have a basement, do you need a safe room built in to the basement, or is it protection enough? Thanks for your recommendation! Take Care. Tambre

Old 01-05-2008, 03:36 PM

The first time I was about 12. As the storm hit it blew several trees down across the road in front of our house. Our neighbors that lived down the road were trying to beat the storm to get home. They had to drive threw our yard right next to our house to get around the the trees. As they drove by the front door for some reason they honked their horn. I thought they were needing in to take shelter so I opened the door. BIG MISTAKE! As a tornado hits It changes the pressure from outside. So as I opened the door It was ripped off the hinges and I was sucked outside about 30 feet into the yard and about 10 feet high. Boy, was I glad to be kind of a fat kid. It felt like I was'nt ever going to come down. I remember landing in the yard in a water puddle, jumping up and making a be-line to the house. Second time all the windows on the south side of the house blew in and all the rest of the windows in the house blew out. I was standing in a doorway when this happend and took the brunt of all the glass coming in. Had a million minor cuts and ripped clothes. Mom screamed when she saw me because of all the blood but had nothing more than very minor cuts and scratches (just deep enough to bleed). I remember seeing my ball cap get sucked off my head and out the window and when it got outside the window it went straight up, never to be seen again. House had damage but was still standing but lost the barn.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:43 PM

My thought on attached garage or unattached.
attached garage usally becomes a catch-all room that is'nt very productive space for the money spent. A nice 30x50 metal building will have plenty room for storage, space to park a few autos in the winter, a boat and still have room for a work shop. Plus a lean-to can be built off both sides for more storage for hay or a tractor. A Lean-to is cheap to build too.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:55 PM

Yea, we get some big hail every once in while too. I don't think no more than other areas of the country. The tornados usally track from west to east.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:39 PM

Default Human Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
The first time I was about 12. As the storm hit it blew several trees down across the road in front of our house. Our neighbors that lived down the road were trying to beat the storm to get home. They had to drive threw our yard right next to our house to get around the the trees. As they drove by the front door for some reason they honked their horn. I thought they were needing in to take shelter so I opened the door. BIG MISTAKE! As a tornado hits It changes the pressure from outside. So as I opened the door It was ripped off the hinges and I was sucked outside about 30 feet into the yard and about 10 feet high. Boy, was I glad to be kind of a fat kid. It felt like I was'nt ever going to come down. I remember landing in the yard in a water puddle, jumping up and making a be-line to the house. Second time all the windows on the south side of the house blew in and all the rest of the windows in the house blew out. I was standing in a doorway when this happend and took the brunt of all the glass coming in. Had a million minor cuts and ripped clothes. Mom screamed when she saw me because of all the blood but had nothing more than very minor cuts and scratches (just deep enough to bleed). I remember seeing my ball cap get sucked off my head and out the window and when it got outside the window it went straight up, never to be seen again. House had damage but was still standing but lost the barn.
Hi Mongazid,
Wow, what terrifying experiences you have had with tornadoes. I'm glad you are still here to talk about them. What were the strengths of the tornadoes and where in Missouri were you when they happened? Did any of the cows get hurt? Do you think animals have an instinct about tornadoes? I've read and seen on t.v. that animals can foretell earthquakes, and act strangely before they happen.

I think my husband would be happy about the outbuilding you suggest...he would love to have a space like that to build a workshop in, and do all sorts of manly things there, ha ha. It would also provide more storage space for less cost.

You have sold me on the idea of a basement, given the unpredictable nature of the weather. Guess it's better to build a basement or storm shelter and never have to use it, than not have one and need one!

Thanks for the wonderful information you have shared. Take Care.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:10 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,662,258 times
I was watching one of those Tornado shows on tv and it showed a house in Kansas get hit by a big tornado, the roof blew off but the house still stood and the occupants were ok, it was made of some kind of Synthetic Brick, I've tried to find more info on the interent but haven't been succsesful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area