Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 121,626 times

Advertisements

Today I was looking around on the new gun law that went into effect in Missouri where you no longer need to get a permit to carry a concealled weapon. Ironically I came across some info I need to confirm. According to Missouri state law a felon can possess a gun as long as there felony was not a dangerous felony and as long as it was at least 5 years ago. All you ever hear is a felon can not have or posses a firearm and apprantley that is not true. I bring this up for a reason. 20 years ago at age 18 I received a felony for what they called burglary. ONLY time i ever got in trouble since. Not even a speeding ticket. At that time 20 years ago beleive it or not a felon could hunt with a shotgun. So for years I hunted until last year when somone said you cant do that so I called the probation office. Keep in mind that my felony is 20 years old. They tell me i cant so much even have a bow and arrow. Funny they never once asked me my crime(I reference dangerous). Now I just read the NRA report, Missouri law and a article of of cape Girardeau about a felon getting arrested and released becuase all though he was in possesion of a firearm that his felon was over 5 years ago.

So my question is..... Am I legally ok to go hunting with a shotgun or a rifle since 1. my felony was not a dangerous one, 2. Its been 20 years since this accord.
Any help appreciated and sorry about the misspellings
Thansk Otterville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 11:37 PM

116 posts, read 445,133 times
Easiest way to find out is to go to your local police department or contact the state police. When you purchase a handgun that is actually who does the background check on you. I live in philadelphia Pennsyslvania and as long as you did not commit a violent crime you can be issued a license to carry. Now if you were convicted of robbery that may be a different issue as laws vary state to state. But if you contact your State Police they will know the answer. Hope this helps you.

Just Fyi also, if Missouri will not allow you to carry a shotgun,rifle or bow I would highly doubt they would allow you to carry a handgun you could easily conceal. That difference between the too basically as one is very easy to conceal where as the other is not so easy but good luck hopefully all will work in your favor.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-07-2009 at 08:16 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 12:10 AM

Well the concealed part and the handgun I have no use for. My only purpose is for the hunting season. Actually from what I see the laws read I can do all this. Those laws the Probation office mention I think reflect current paroles or people on probation. This is the problem with laws. They are never very clear. I guess this part is what I dont understand..... Does state law overule federal law and how can you have 2 laws with one saying yes and the other saying no. For instance. Federal law reads no felon can posses a firearm yet Missouri state law says yes. Now as for asking local law enforcement... That is a joke as I get different answers from different people. This is why I disagree with each state setting different rules. A law such as this should be straight across the board for all states. Now dont get me wrong. I am not proud to be a felon and the fact is had I had the money for a good lawyer 20 years ago i wouldnt be a felon. Stupid mistake of taking gas turned into breaking into a building there which we new was unoccupied and of course add the fact I had drank way to much turned into the charge of burglary... burglary it seems is a clasification of breaking and entering. I did my time(probation) payed a hefty fine but in no way should I not get a second chance as 20 years is more than enough proof. For all those out there that say felons should never have these rights then maybe they should remember back and think of some of the stuff they didnt get caught doing that could have then in the same place as I am anyway.
I guess my best option would be to hire a lawyer as this all is border line. here is how missouri law reads for possesion... It is unlawful for a person convicted of or confined for a DANGEROUS Felony or a attempt ot commit a dangerous felony to posses a concealable firearm for 5 years after such conviction or confinement.
No were in Missouri law does it say a Felony period cannot posses a firearm so you can see why I am asking
Thanks

Old 10-15-2007, 05:15 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,478 times
otterville, I recommend you join this site Missouri Concealed Carry Gun Permit and Firearms Information Website and ask your questions there. Once you sign up go to the forums section and post your query in either "concealed carry" or "let's talk politics". That site has some excellent members much better suited, I think, to be able to give you some insight into this matter.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:39 AM

116 posts, read 445,133 times
I would go with Jammer has said. Thats a fine line between Federal and state government. Just be prepared for many opinions lol. I have no doubt you are a decent person and if I implied other wise I am very sorry

Old 10-15-2007, 06:00 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut View Post
I would go with Jammer has said. Thats a fine line between Federal and state government. Just be prepared for many opinions lol. I have no doubt you are a decent person and if I implied other wise I am very sorry
There are many members on that site that are NRA certified firearm instructors and several members have direct ties to state legislators so it won't involve opinions so much as actual facts. This is definitely an area that one doesn't want to get any incorrect information and I certainly do not know enough about this particular circumstance to provide the correct answer.... too new to the state.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:40 AM

21 posts, read 169,238 times
"According to Missouri state law a felon can possess a gun as long as there felony was not a dangerous felony and as long as it was at least 5 years ago."

Federal law overrides this. If you have a felony on your record you cannot possess any firearms. The federal law doesn't apply to muzzzleloaders- you might check to see if that's legal in MO.

Muzzleloaders are a gray area here for felons. Felons have long been able to possess muzzleloaders under Florida state law, but recently a judge ruled that it has to be an exact copy of a pre-1899 firearm, not a modern muzzloader.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:27 AM

Thanks all for the info.... It is appreciated and no offense takin

Old 10-15-2007, 08:49 PM

382 posts, read 1,068,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
otterville, I recommend you join this site Missouri Concealed Carry Gun Permit and Firearms Information Website and ask your questions there. Once you sign up go to the forums section and post your query in either "concealed carry" or "let's talk politics". That site has some excellent members much better suited, I think, to be able to give you some insight into this matter.

Stumbled across this thread and couldn't help but to peep in. I am no felon, however, this subject is of interest to me as I am a registered, certified, bonified concealed firearms girl. I was having concerns about moving to Missouri and not being able to have my handgun. Here, in Mississippi, we have a gunslinger law, shoot first, ask questions later, enacted last July. I am sorry to say that in this day and age, if it becomes a crime to carry, I will be a criminal. Whatever it takes to protect me and my family. Anyway, you have provided me with some useful information. Thanks also to otterville for bringing this subject up.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,008 times
Having lived in Detrot for 33 years, during which time it was named the most dangerous city in the entire country most years. I can honestly say that most people really don't need to carry a firearm to protect themselves, and the people that do think they need to carry, because they think someone is going to try and "kill" them, they have some screws loose. Criminals typically attack other criminals. You have a much greater chance of being killed in a car accident, or having your arteries clog up cuz your a fat a$$, or getting cancer from all of those ciggerettes that you smoke. Just facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area