Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 20,334 times

Advertisements

As of Aug 2008, you can no longer own or possess a firearm if you have been convicted of a felony in Missouri or convicted of a crime (in any state) that Missouri would consider a felony if committed here. Look up section 571.070 in Missouri law and make sure you have the 2008 revision. It states:

"1. A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if such person knowingly has any firearm in his or her possession and:
(1) Such person has been convicted of a felonly under the laws of this state, or of a crim under the laws of any state or of the United States which, if committed within this state, would be a felony; or
(2)Such person is a fugitive from justice, is habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition, or is currently adjudged mentally incompetent.
2 Unlawful possession of a firearm is a class C felony."

Before 2008 you could possess a firearm, according to Missouri, if you had not been convicted of a "dangerous" felony. Now it is ANY felony. Also possession is not in the literal sense. If they are not locked in a gun safe and the key is not hidden in a place that you do not know...you are in possession. I know more than one person that has been arrested due to this law change and them just not knowing the law had changed because it is not a well publicized law change. So basically if you have been convicted of a felony, no guns for you even if you got caught up on a stupid charge.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 09:40 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
Otterville just call the State Attorney Generals Office.

hillman

Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 19,859 times
what about owning a blackpowder gun and being a felon

Old 12-05-2009, 01:40 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james4069 View Post
what about owning a blackpowder gun and being a felon
As far as I know, convicted felons can own black powder guns.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 18,918 times
The new Missouri law exempts Black Powder firearms including muzzleloaders, inline muzzleloaders, sidelock, flintlock, percussion, and other "Antique Firearms" being built before 1898 or replicas thereof, from the "Illegal Possession of a Firearm" law.

This new law brings Missouri's Illegal Possession of a Firearm law into compliance with Federal standards. This information can be found by searching for HB 1692. (Missouri House Bill 1692) signed by Governor Jay Nixon on July 12, 2010.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 16,877 times
I comitted a "C". Felony 10 years ago. I stole a check and filled it out for $200 forged the signature and cashed it. The charge is Forgery. Does that mean I can't deer hunt? If not is there any way to? Like with a bow?

Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 16,096 times
i am a convicted felon in missouri whcih happend when i was 18 im now 31. i had many problems with employment and so on but had to realize that it was my mistakes that caused my situation. but as i stand today i now work full time although not much and run my own small business on the side. i understand the law i am an student of it had to become that. i also understand both sides of the isles views on gun rights for everyone but for those of you who oppose [would you do the same to me now that i am a more than productive citizen of society with three kids and a fiance?????? i might add second amended we all should maintain the right to bear and keep arms to protect ourselves from all threats foriegn and domestic

Old 07-05-2012, 06:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden1 View Post
i am a convicted felon in missouri whcih happend when i was 18 im now 31. i had many problems with employment and so on but had to realize that it was my mistakes that caused my situation. but as i stand today i now work full time although not much and run my own small business on the side. i understand the law i am an student of it had to become that. i also understand both sides of the isles views on gun rights for everyone but for those of you who oppose [would you do the same to me now that i am a more than productive citizen of society with three kids and a fiance?????? i might add second amended we all should maintain the right to bear and keep arms to protect ourselves from all threats foriegn and domestic
I hope you realize that this thread was begun five years ago.

As for the rest, sorry but no sympathy. But then again, I've never been a felon. Wonder how I dodged that bullet!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:26 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden1 View Post
IMO, it depends upon the felony. If it was a violent felony or one including the use of a weapon, NO, I do not believe those rights should be restored.

Three kids and a fiance?

Old 07-27-2013, 01:45 AM

2 posts, read 15,706 times
I was set up on 2 felonies, my pd even played me for a fool so the state could convict me.in my discovery it said one event, but in court the witness said sumthin completely else happened.i wasnt even in missouri when the crime was convicted with witnesses and debit card statements, the vandalism that was pushed on me was earlier reported on the victims brother a month b4 they said I did it.....I served numerous yrs in prison n now that my parole is over how do I take legal action on the state for me being wrongly convicted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area