Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,799,247 times

Advertisements

Hawk Harrelson for the White Sox is a running joke as a baseball announcer. He's pretty knowledgeable about the game, but the unfiltered homerism and "Hawkisms" kill it every time. Still, I don't know if he's earned the "worst" title, though he may be in the running now that Joe Morgan is gone.
Put me down as one who enjoys JVG; he doesn't take his know-it-all persona too seriously, and he isn't afraid to tell the truth where others shy away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 PM

45,975 posts, read 27,623,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Best college basketball pairing is Jay Bilas with Bill Raftery, though that is sadly coming to an end. Many will hate this, but I also enjoy listening to Bob Knight do commentary on the games. An a-hole, but his analysis is the best and you will always learn something from him if you listen.
Speaking of Knight - I used to enjoy Knight School that ran for a couple of months on ESPN in 2006 - where some students had the opportunity to make make the Texas Tech basketball team as a walk-on.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,427,309 times
I agree with Pat Summerall, but Mike Patrick did Sunday Night Football games. Plus Brian Anderson, who calls Brewers games along with Bill Schroeder, as well as games for TBS and the Big Ten Network, is boring, he is not as enthusiastic as Gus Johnson and Bob Uecker are.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,267,744 times
Dan Gladden is the worst I've heard in 50 years or so of listening to Twins broadcasts. Always an excessive delay between the crack of the bat and what he tells you has just happened. Never changes his monotone delivery and will call a long homerun with the same bland enthusiasm as a pitching coach's visit to the mound. Thankfully they only give him 3 innings of play-by-play per game.

plus, Chris Berman sucks eggs through a sausage casing

Old 07-27-2013, 08:00 AM

Brian Anderson, Brewers television announcer; there's nothing wrong with him, but he's boring, not as exciting as Bob Uecker is. John Sterling can be annoying.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Ron Franklin was, hands-down, the best play-by-play announcer for college football. Not even close, though I kind of like Sean McDonough.
Why? He was fired by ESPN for sexual comments to Jeannine Edwards. He did the same to Holly Rowe.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:16 AM

As of week 13 of the 2012 NFL season I could NOT stand Joe Buck or Troy Aikman.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 AM

Pam Ward, I don't like her, I can't stand female announcers that do play-by-play for men's sports even Beth Mowins, except for Michele Tafoya.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Speaking of Knight - I used to enjoy Knight School that ran for a couple of months on ESPN in 2006 - where some students had the opportunity to make make the Texas Tech basketball team as a walk-on.
Best reality show I ever saw. I know, damning with faint praise, but if you love basketball, how could you not love that show?

The guy has always been a first-class a*s, no question about it, but I always think about what another first-class a*s, Steve Alford said about Knight: "We always felt we had an advantage going into a game with him as coach."

Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 PM

7,628 posts, read 6,155,633 times
I remember the first time they stuck Verne Lundquist on the Olympic broadcast. Would have been tolerable watching figure skating with the old lady IF it had not been for his incessant CHATTER throughout the routine. Now he does that same incessant chatter through the SEC games. Repeats the word "stellar" 100to 200 times a game, says things like "Oh MY!" " WAIT" "No YES NO" What happened? "
What happened is that the SEC Network was stupid enough to give Vern a broadcasting job, putting an old washed up half senile moron in the booth during the game, whilst commercials touting academic standards play between quarters.......
"And remember kids, if you drop out of high school, you can still do a better job than Verne Lundquist on a Saturday afternoon, you just can't be on the field for an SEC team"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports