Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:56 PM

433 posts, read 876,804 times

Advertisements

Magic Jonhson is the worst of all time. "He's shooting almost 60% from the field, he must can shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:21 AM

332 posts, read 773,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasuba View Post
Al Michaels-He belonged next to that annoying jerk Madden because both of them on sunday night gave all of us a hint on what NOT to watch. His commentary makes the game unbearable
This is a joke, right? Michaels is one of the all-time greats.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:55 AM

10,177 posts, read 20,798,736 times
Kornhole - glad he's gone

Berman - Annoying as hell and NOT funny

Torico - Yawn, Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dierdorph - Clueless

Gumbel - Really? He sounds like he's reporting a traffic jam instead of a football game

Collinsworth - snobby and can't take a joke. I used to love when Bradshaw and Long would break his chops, he couldn't take it.

Olbermann - liberal idiot who is not the least bit funny

Just about anyone on ESPN is annoying to me, I hate that network.

Max Kellerman - biased and annoying

Old 09-23-2009, 02:22 PM

4,534 posts, read 8,348,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Suzyn Waldmon - if you've ever listened to the Yankees on radio, you understand.
I totally agree. I am not against women being sportscasters but she is just horrible.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:50 PM

531 posts, read 2,900,620 times
What's funny is that 2 of the guys mentioned were considered the absolutely best early in their careers. To me, there was nothing better than listening to Madden & Pat Summeral call Giants games on Sunday afternoons in the 80's. If I hear those voices together now I am instantly transported back to being a kid and watching the game with my dad. I think they were the best combination of all time. And McCarver, when he started calling games for the Mets in the mid 80's, was also considered to be awesome. I remember at one point his partner (wasn't Kiner, someone else) asking him what pitch he thought was coming and he said "I don't know". And that was it. Hard to believe considering how much he yaps now.

Last edited by usedtobeanyer; 09-23-2009 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Fixed typo

Old 09-23-2009, 03:10 PM

10,177 posts, read 20,798,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
What's funny is that 2 of the guys mentioned were considered the absolutely best early in their careers. To me, there was nothing better than listening to Madden & Pat Summeral call Giants games on Sunday afternoons in the 80's. If I hear those voices together now I am instantly transported back to being a kid and watching the game with my dad. I think they were the best combination of all time. And McCarver, when he started calling games for the Mets in the mid 80's, was also considered to be awesome. I remember at one point his partner (wasn't Kiner, someone else) asking him what pitch he thought was coming and he said "I don't know". And that was it. Hard to believe considering how much he yaps now.
I agree. I loved listening to Madden and Summeral. I liked Madden right to the end. I never thought of him as Mr. Obvious. I also like sportscasters who were part of the game and share fun stories of their times as players and coaches. Today I really miss the combination of Al Michaels, Frank Gifford and Dan Dierdorf, even though I wasn't crazy about Deirdorf or Gifford, I liked the interaction of the three together and how Dan seemed to get on Frank's nerves.

One of my favorite combinations in sports today is Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling. These two are great together and Hernandez is hilarious. I also like Joe Morgan who many people despise.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:10 AM

623 posts, read 1,544,217 times
Chris Berman-inventing completely irrelevant nicknames is not cool, unless you're 11.

Andre Ware-after a team just scored, still hopelessly down 35 late in the 3rd quarter, "Watch out, we could have a comeback on our hands."

Jesse Palmer-"Keeping the game close is good." "Teams want to go on defense first in overtime." "Defense wins championships." "(Insert any trite football statement)."

Gary Danielson-"I love Tebow." "Tebow will be a NFL QB." "No, this isn't a University of Florida game, but it's impossible for me not to mention Tim Tebow. He's a good Christian."

Joe Morgan-"Let me again interject this current baseball situation with an example from my baseball career. Whether I'm completely fabricating the story or if I'm 'remember incorrectly' is irrelevant."

Old 09-28-2009, 09:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
Currently the worst I know of are Chip Caray of the Braves and George Grand of the Reds. Caray is childishly gee-whiz, and Grand is like a recorded message of a phone menu.

I agree with the above who love Pat Summerall and Al Michaels, two fo the truly great of all time. Also in the all-time great group I'd put Danny Gallivan of the Montreal Canadiens.

The all-time most annoying I've heard in my long life were Lindsay Nelson of the Mets, followed by Curt Gowdy of the Red Sox.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:19 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,784,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Currently the worst I know of are Chip Caray of the Braves and George Grand of the Reds. Caray is childishly gee-whiz, and Grand is like a recorded message of a phone menu.

I agree with the above who love Pat Summerall and Al Michaels, two fo the truly great of all time. Also in the all-time great group I'd put Danny Gallivan of the Montreal Canadiens.

The all-time most annoying I've heard in my long life were Lindsay Nelson of the Mets, followed by Curt Gowdy of the Red Sox.
No, that would be Howard Cosell when he was part of ABC's baseball broadcast team. I love baseball, but Cosell, who was otherwise pretty decent on football and boxing, chased me away. Only Dick Vitale (who I forgot to mention earlier) and Berman match the level of braying asininity that Cosell displayed during those MLB contests. McCarver is a model of restraint by comparison.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:10 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,736,831 times
two Words

JOHN MADDEN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports