Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the worst commissioner in sports? Your pick
Selig MLB 4 25.00%
Goddell NFL 1 6.25%
Stern NBA 6 37.50%
Bettman NHL 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:26 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

I'm going with Stern.
His league lets the refs, not the players, dictate the game.
The move of the Sonics to OKC, was a disgrace and he played big time along with it.
The way that traveling is not enforced, especially with the stars, just so there can be more sports center highlights.
Lastly, he's an arrogant slimeball.
Bud Selig is a close second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:34 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Stern and Bettman. I read somewhere that Bettman worked for Stern in the early 90's and Stern recommended Bettman for the NHL commissioner job in 92 or 93

Old 01-14-2009, 12:34 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
Without a doubt...Gary Bettman. His job (as given to him by the NBA, yes conspiracy theory) is to destroy the NHL. And he's working hard at it with constant rules tinkering, ticking off ESPN to such an extent they no longer carry the NHL, and trying to overexpand into non-traditional markets. I'm all for hockey in the south but it's a wee bit overboard and I don't think NHL franchises were the way to go. The NHL should have partnered with minor leagues to fill the south with sustainable hockey to spark interest in those markets.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:35 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
It's got to be Stern. The NBA has turned to utter and complete trash. College is by far the superior game. I have started calling the NBA the NTA which stands for National Travelling Association.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:54 PM

Even though I love hockey big time, I would say that best out of the 4 by far is Goddell. Save for him not suspending Vick right away, he's done good. Jones did something not nearly as bad as Vick, yet Goddell suspended him right away. I think he wasn't the commissioner during the 2005 Super Bowl, that the Steelers "won" (yea, right), if he was, than that's another strike against him.
Still though, he's done alright, when you compare him to the other 3.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Even though I love hockey big time, I would say that best out of the 4 by far is Goddell. Save for him not suspending Vick right away, he's done good. Jones did something not nearly as bad as Vick, yet Goddell suspended him right away. I think he wasn't the commissioner during the 2005 Super Bowl, that the Steelers "won" (yea, right), if he was, than that's another strike against him.
Still though, he's done alright, when you compare him to the other 3.

What's your deal with the 2005 Super Bowl?

Old 01-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
What's your deal with the 2005 Super Bowl?
How come you have not heard this with other Super Bowls?
The league knew that a Seahawks win, would not have generated the nationwide excitement and bucks that a Steelers win would have.
KING 5 Seahawks: NFL stands by its bad officiating
I was very upset by how obvious and evident it was - for the Referee's to make "such very bad calls ... of the circumstances, NO ONE will ever see you guys cleanly as 2006 Super Bowl ...

blogs.king5.com/seahawks/archives/2006/02/nfl_stands_by_i.html · Cached page
phillyBurbs.com Photo Gallery

Granted, this came from a blog, however, when have you heard this about other Super Bowls?
Not to get too far off subject about the super bowl, but you hear about this a lot, lot more in the NBA, further proof that Stern is the worst.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:19 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
without a doubt - hands down - Commissioner Gordon. heres a guy who fakes his own death, leaving his wife and kids to think he has been killed - and for what? evidently just for the hell of it, that's what. the guy is scum. plus he looks exactly like Ned Flanders.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
without a doubt - hands down - Commissioner Gordon. heres a guy who fakes his own death, leaving his wife and kids to think he has been killed - and for what? evidently just for the hell of it, that's what. the guy is scum. plus he looks exactly like Ned Flanders.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Selig and his "territorial rights" bull****, not that I really care for Americricket anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports