Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:47 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,602,415 times

Advertisements

Moving Day, except TW is moving in the wrong direction......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 03:28 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,130,605 times
Reed is playing with a pair. I picked him on this course a couple years ago (I think he missed the cut) because of his ties to the area/course...of course now it looks like he's finally playing like I expected him to years ago.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:15 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,412,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Moving Day, except TW is moving in the wrong direction......
I've never been a Tiger lover or hater for that matter, I definitely didn't like what he did to his wife, but enjoyed his play during his prime. Can Tiger win another major? It would probably take him playing a "perfect" 4 days, while the entire field plays the exact opposite!

I think he still might be able to will non-major PGA tour events, but it would depend on who else is playing the event. He can always play in a weeknight "beer league" down in Jupiter and probably win easily or not!

Because he has already won the Masters (multiple times I know) before, he can theoretically play in that tournament every year until he dies, correct? So we are probably going to hear the same type of articles written about him for the next 20, 30, 40, maybe 50 years from now!

Old 04-07-2018, 04:28 PM

15,217 posts, read 30,664,023 times
Tiger's at an age where few win majors, and his window probably closed around 2013 when he took an illegal drop that cost him two strokes in the Masters, followed by his 13-over debacle in the US Open.

He's just another guy on the tour now.

Quote:
he can theoretically play in that tournament every year until he dies, correct?
Correct. Unless he quits or has some sort of injury that makes him not be able to play.

Note that Augusta National is a walking-only course and not every living champion is in a state to walk the course four times in four days, plus practice and dealing with the strains of a major golf tournament.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:32 PM

3,004 posts, read 1,776,159 times
Reed & Rory are paired tomorrow. Maybe will conjure up some competition like the 2016 Ryder Cup drama, that was some great golf!

Not a big Reed fan, but he was Captain America that day!!

Last edited by JackF; 04-07-2018 at 04:46 PM..

Old 04-07-2018, 04:42 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,412,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Correct. Unless he quits or has some sort of injury that makes him not be able to play.
It's nice to see Fred Couples out there at age 58 and still making the cut and using that "exemption" or whatever you call it, to play in the Masters since he won it once back in 1992, his only major win as well.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:01 PM

15,217 posts, read 30,664,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It's nice to see Fred Couples out there at age 58 and still making the cut and using that "exemption" or whatever you call it, to play in the Masters since he won it once back in 1992, his only major win as well.
Indeed, Fred's my favorite golfer of all time, pretty much.

Tiger will have some of those moments, mid-60s first round, mid-70s second round, and might have a top-10 finish in him.

Compared to Fred, Tiger's boring when he's not dominating, though. We used to watch him render almost every course on the Tour obsolete in a systematic, robotic, Terminator-like fashion. Then the game caught up with him and so did his ego. He was human after all.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:33 PM

6,606 posts, read 11,363,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I've never been a Tiger lover or hater for that matter, I definitely didn't like what he did to his wife, but enjoyed his play during his prime. Can Tiger win another major? It would probably take him playing a "perfect" 4 days, while the entire field plays the exact opposite!

I think he still might be able to will non-major PGA tour events, but it would depend on who else is playing the event. He can always play in a weeknight "beer league" down in Jupiter and probably win easily or not!

Because he has already won the Masters (multiple times I know) before, he can theoretically play in that tournament every year until he dies, correct? So we are probably going to hear the same type of articles written about him for the next 20, 30, 40, maybe 50 years from now!
Keep in mind that this is a guy who 6-8 months ago wasn't sure if he could even play competitive golf anymore. I'd say that his progression is way ahead of schedule. Comes back from major back surgery, tees it up after a year, and is already inside the top 50 in terms of FedEx cup. But I also understand that given who he is, the expectations are also that much higher. Yes - he can certainly win smaller events. But he likely won't - because he doesn't really play in the smaller events. You may see him in a few more this year as he tries to get back into the groove. But once he feels comfortable, he'll prioritize his schedule around the majors again.

The only major that he is not guaranteed for the rest of his life is the US Open. And like the greats before him (Jack, Arnold, etc.), it's fairly certain that special exemptions will be offered if he wants to play. Albeit I'm sure like those others, he'll likely hang it up if he doesn't feel he can compete anymore.

You're going to hear hype about him because like Michael Jordan, he's become an icon. People who don't even watch golf will watch him.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:35 PM

6,606 posts, read 11,363,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Reed & Rory are paired tomorrow. Maybe will conjure up some competition like the 2016 Ryder Cup drama, that was some great golf!

This has just become a very anticipated final round (not that it normally isn't). But for me, I'll be rooting for Rory to get his grand slam.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,602,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post

can't recall two eagles in the same round in all the years I've been following golf - it'll be interesting to see how the final round turns out - will there be a complete 1996 Normanesque (vs Faldo, '96) collapse by Reed?

seen so many times players who've had great rounds can't follow it up the next day.....he'll be wearing Tiger Woods' Sunday colors......be ready for a rumble.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports