Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 04:59 PM

16,763 posts, read 8,747,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
I'm not a Serena fan, for some of the reasons you raised. I have no problem with criticism of Serena's behavior or athletic performance.

I think it's more than random tweets, the article implicates sportscasters and tennis officials.
Aside from possible differences in cultures, I doubt very seriously whether those are Americans. I say this because in our current PC culture, liberals would be demanding scalps even for a perceived racial comment, much less a despicable one.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
Yeah, no one is saying that Court's Grand Slam record is invalid in any way, but there's no rule that says the GOAT tennis player is the one that won the most Grand Slams. It's perfectly reasonable to say that Graf is greater than Court despite winning fewer Slams, just as it's reasonable to say that Jordan is the GOAT even though he won fewer championships than Russell and scored fewer points than Jabbar.
Reasonable yes, accurate no.
One could argue that Jordon was the GOAT for his position. However if there were a way to quantify an overall GOAT in BBall, that could only go to one player. It is so obviously I don't even need to spell out his name.

`

Old 06-10-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Frankly, she's one of my heroes. I've never been someone who fell into the delicate female role, and she carries off being a powerful and strong woman so damn well.

I remember when Sports Illustrated did one of its "body" issues. Guys were represented on the cover by LeBron James, and women were represented by ... Gisele Bundchen.

People immediately started calling the cover racist because it evoked images of King Kong, with LeBron as the ape. Frankly, I thought it was racist as well, but I thought it was racist BECAUSE it was sexist. Guys got a man who is a powerhouse who takes all comers with tried and tested skills and athletic prowess. Women got a skinny chick who photographs well. If LeBron James had has his arm around the waist of someone like Serena Williams or pretty much any female soccer player or snowboarder demonstrating their athletic skill, nobody would have batted an eye.
You and others are entitled to your opinions/feelings, but that comment says a lot about you and the current grievance mentality that is helping to degrade what this country stood for.

---

On a side note, one of my pet peeves is the misuse of words and/or ridicules examples comparing people to Hitler for example (very few evil people are in his league, such as Stalin, Mao, Pot, iL, etc).
True racism and/or sexism is a far cry from what the kneejerk liberals think it is in modern times.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:37 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,543,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Wait, anonymous people on the internet made insulting comments? How is this news?
It is not just an anonymous stuff on the internet. There were a whole slew of articles discussing various tennis players weights. Not the men. The women. I can understand talking about a players weight in a sport where it matters. Maybe boxing for example. But the fact that there were multiple articles about multiple women tennis players and how much they weighed strikes me as pretty ridiculous.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:47 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,019,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It is not just an anonymous stuff on the internet. There were a whole slew of articles discussing various tennis players weights. Not the men. The women. I can understand talking about a players weight in a sport where it matters. Maybe boxing for example. But the fact that there were multiple articles about multiple women tennis players and how much they weighed strikes me as pretty ridiculous.
Given that we are talking about professional tennis where you do have to have good fitness and be quick on your feet for a good period of time, I would say weight does matter.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:02 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,543,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
Given that we are talking about professional tennis where you do have to have good fitness and be quick on your feet for a good period of time, I would say weight does matter.
Did you read my post?
Zero articles on men's weight.
Zero.
Many on women's.
And given that none of the women were overweight in the sense that it affected their playing, it was irrelevant.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,019,312 times
Quote:
Quote:
Did you read my post?
Zero articles on men's weight.
Zero.
Many on women's.
And given that none of the women were overweight in the sense that it affected their playing, it was irrelevant.
You clearly implied that player weight doesn't matter in tennis when in fact it does. I pointed out you were incorrect. I have seen articles that mention female tennis player weight and also mention the males as well. You claiming there are zero articles at all is not true. Also it does affect their playing in a way like not being so quick on the court

Last edited by Devon011; 06-10-2015 at 07:35 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 07:39 PM

692 posts, read 1,007,802 times
Haters gonna hate. Many female tennis players have retired and faded by Serena's age and she's going strong closing in title-wise to the icons of female tennis which has little diversity in the upper echelons. I hope she smashes all the records because as long as there are those have a few more titles she will always be touted as not quite measuring up by the haters. Yes she is tall and built but she's very lean as well, not this huge hulking woman as described. She's just not as straight up and down as other female tennis players and has boobs and a rear. I commend her for persevering against all the negatively and still being in the game at her age.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:47 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,114,518 times
I'm not even going to read all the posts here, just say that Serena Williams is one of the top professional athletes of all time. I don't even mean to make a pun when I say that she puts it on the line in all the major tournaments. The will that she has to keep pushing herself and winning make her utterly compelling to watch on the court. I can remember exactly where I was when she won her first major and where I was when she won her latest. Total respect for this woman.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:08 PM

49 posts, read 70,617 times
She is very manly and is built like a man, I think she is hormonally unbalanced. Shave her head and she would resemble Lebron James. I guess the truth makes SJW types cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports