Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:50 AM

78,809 posts, read 61,027,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
So racist/sexist comments are okay if the person is rich or famous?
Frankly, you should be shamed for that disgusting attack implying that I condone racist or sexist comments, especially after I referred to the commenters as morons.

I hope you can appreciate my disgust\amazement that you went full speed from complaining about these rude actions to embracing them and even carrying them out by insinuating that I'm somehow ok with the comments.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:07 AM

16,757 posts, read 8,744,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good article and I totally agree with the points made.

Every Serena Williams win comes with a side of disgusting racism and sexism - Vox
Since when do random tweets by mental midgets stigmatize society as a whole?

Serena is an incredibly talented tennis player and deserves credit for her accomplishments. However she also has a dark side that is very unbecoming a top athlete, much less a lady. She is given to fits of vulgarity and even making threats toward others. She also has had a horrible track record of demeaning other players accomplishments when she loses. Another words she acts like a petulant child when losing, and shows little humility when extoling her own virtues.

Now I will grant you she is not alone in the tennis world, as it is a very individual sport and you must be your own best motivator to stay on top. Many a talented brat has come along with incredible talent that is not match by mental maturity.
Martina Hingis was another one who got underneath my skin. I still remember her dismissing Steffi Graf before their final. When Graf cleaned her clock, she ran off in tears and had to have her mother force her back out for the appearance of proper decorum. Yet it was clear she was missing something in her upbringing which would allow such behavior.

`

Old 06-10-2015, 11:38 AM

702 posts, read 543,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Since when do random tweets by mental midgets stigmatize society as a whole?

Serena is an incredibly talented tennis player and deserves credit for her accomplishments. However she also has a dark side that is very unbecoming a top athlete, much less a lady. She is given to fits of vulgarity and even making threats toward others. She also has had a horrible track record of demeaning other players accomplishments when she loses. Another words she acts like a petulant child when losing, and shows little humility when extoling her own virtues.

Now I will grant you she is not alone in the tennis world, as it is a very individual sport and you must be your own best motivator to stay on top. Many a talented brat has come along with incredible talent that is not match by mental maturity.
Martina Hingis was another one who got underneath my skin. I still remember her dismissing Steffi Graf before their final. When Graf cleaned her clock, she ran off in tears and had to have her mother force her back out for the appearance of proper decorum. Yet it was clear she was missing something in her upbringing which would allow such behavior.

`
I'm not a Serena fan, for some of the reasons you raised. I have no problem with criticism of Serena's behavior or athletic performance.

I think it's more than random tweets, the article implicates sportscasters and tennis officials.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,921,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
The open era is generally considered the meaningful time frame. Margaret Court won a lot of her titles prior to that, and her 11 Australian open wins were in the days when most of the top players didn't make the trip down under. Basically she just had to show up and collect the trophy.

Technically she is the record holder, but few people take that seriously.

Just like records held in all sports, correct? Who has won the most superbowls, world series, Indy 500s? Who is the NFL record holder for most yards gained while running? Who has started the most MLB games? Who was the first person to climb Mt Everest?

Do records only exist for a time period certain people want to acknowledge?

Why is it when someone compile a "best of" list it rarely extends back 50 years or more when human history goes back hundreds of thousands? You gotta wonder if people really care about best.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:51 PM

702 posts, read 543,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Just like records held in all sports, correct? Who has won the most superbowls, world series, Indy 500s? Who is the NFL record holder for most yards gained while running? Who has started the most MLB games? Who was the first person to climb Mt Everest?

Do records only exist for a time period certain people want to acknowledge?

Why is it when someone compile a "best of" list it rarely extends back 50 years or more when human history goes back hundreds of thousands? You gotta wonder if people really care about best.
Yeah, no one is saying that Court's Grand Slam record is invalid in any way, but there's no rule that says the GOAT tennis player is the one that won the most Grand Slams. It's perfectly reasonable to say that Graf is greater than Court despite winning fewer Slams, just as it's reasonable to say that Jordan is the GOAT even though he won fewer championships than Russell and scored fewer points than Jabbar.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:01 PM

490 posts, read 683,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Just like records held in all sports, correct?
No.

Tennis was effectively a closed shop until the advent of the open era. Most other sports do not have that differentiator.

Most people, players included, will say that tennis records only really begin in any meaningful way with the open era. Everything before that is of historical interest, but nothing more.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:09 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,364,902 times
I remember not long ago when Jemele Hill — a female, African-American reporter on ESPN — made public a horrific letter that was written about her and sent to ESPN management. Among other disgusting thing including being called a "spear-chucker" and a "b**ch jungle-bunny" (how original!) the author complained that he’s "not interested in spending all day listening to some thick-lipped gorilla attempting to properly speak the King’s English." She said it was just an exaggerated version of mail she receives constantly, a few of which have scared her enough that she alerted law enforcement. What was the result of Hill bringing this tirade to the public's attention? In many quarters SHE was criticized for not being able to "take it."

In any case, Hill's having the last laugh. The Michigan State grad was a college athletics sideline reporter when the letter was sent and she is now co-host of a daily, hour-long program. I think Serena can console herself with her bank account, which is what her haters probably are most angry about. Jealousy can be very ugly.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:13 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,891,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It may be for you, but that doesn't take away the sting and hurt from reading racist and other degrading/demeaning remarks directed at you, anonymous or not.

Sure some can laugh it off, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with people who do take offense at such things.

If anything, we have seen that words DO carry a lot of meaning, even with the relative anonymity the internet provides us. We've seen people take their lives from online bullying and harassment.

Yes, often there is something wrong with people who are easily offended.

Just a couple of days ago, someone was on the news flapping his gums about "insulting" FB posts, claiming that they "wouldn't be tolerated." Really?

Parents should do two things: teach their children to be kind to others, and teach them not to obsess about others' meanspirited remarks which might be directed to them. Two people might react differently to the same remarks--that doesn't mean that speech should be restricted.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:08 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,437,434 times
Frankly, she's one of my heroes. I've never been someone who fell into the delicate female role, and she carries off being a powerful and strong woman so damn well.

I remember when Sports Illustrated did one of its "body" issues. Guys were represented on the cover by LeBron James, and women were represented by ... Gisele Bundchen.

People immediately started calling the cover racist because it evoked images of King Kong, with LeBron as the ape. Frankly, I thought it was racist as well, but I thought it was racist BECAUSE it was sexist. Guys got a man who is a powerhouse who takes all comers with tried and tested skills and athletic prowess. Women got a skinny chick who photographs well. If LeBron James had has his arm around the waist of someone like Serena Williams or pretty much any female soccer player or snowboarder demonstrating their athletic skill, nobody would have batted an eye.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:28 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,259,164 times
Wait, anonymous people on the internet made insulting comments? How is this news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports