Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:34 AM

2,288 posts, read 1,591,676 times

Advertisements

She is hated by many who are not racists because of her on-court antics.

People and fans like and appreciate Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Shaq, LeBron James, Magic,and other Black champions because they are just more genuine, don't show annoying over the top emotions during a game, don't belittle their opponent when they lose. Champ or not, her personality will not be liked my millions but she is not out there to satisfy millions. She is out there to win and at any cost, no matter what people think of her, no matter how she acts. It is the same mentality that Mayweather has. A pompous and arrogant diva.

She is stronger than the rest of the field but the other women are catching up. She has some amazing shots and talent on the court which is why all the rest is unnecessary.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:01 AM

16,681 posts, read 8,677,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
That is something the PC crowd just cannot wrap their head around. If Obama were a conservative, the same Democrats blaming racism as the reason Republicans oppose his policies, would be attacking him. Yet would they attribute their opposition to his conservative policies as racist?
Of course not.
But that doesn't stop them from being hypocrites.

One can like or dislike a black public figure having nothing to do with race. I root for the William sisters when they represent America, but still cringe when they act uncouth and obnoxious. Like the time Serena berated the Oriental line judge and even threatened her. Yet the press didn't start accusing Serena of being racist, even though there is a feeling floating out there that some blacks despise Orientals. Yet criticism of Serena is automatically viewed as having a racial component, regardless of how abhorrent her behavior can be.

BTW - Tennis like golf (and a few other sports) is considered a gentleman's game. So the behavior that is acceptable in say hockey for example, is not appropriate for tennis. Therefore expecting Serena to conduct herself like a lady has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with the proper decorum of the sport.

`

Old 06-11-2015, 01:06 PM

702 posts, read 541,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post

People and fans like and appreciate Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Shaq, LeBron James, Magic,and other Black champions because they are just more genuine, don't show annoying over the top emotions during a game, don't belittle their opponent when they lose. Champ or not, her personality will not be liked my millions but she is not out there to satisfy millions. She is out there to win and at any cost, no matter what people think of her, no matter how she acts. It is the same mentality that Mayweather has. A pompous and arrogant diva.

She is stronger than the rest of the field but the other women are catching up. She has some amazing shots and talent on the court which is why all the rest is unnecessary.
Jordan had/has a terrible personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That is something the PC crowd just cannot wrap their head around. If Obama were a conservative, the same Democrats blaming racism as the reason Republicans oppose his policies, would be attacking him. Yet would they attribute their opposition to his conservative policies as racist?
Of course not.
But that doesn't stop them from being hypocrites.

One can like or dislike a black public figure having nothing to do with race. I root for the William sisters when they represent America, but still cringe when they act uncouth and obnoxious. Like the time Serena berated the Oriental line judge and even threatened her. Yet the press didn't start accusing Serena of being racist, even though there is a feeling floating out there that some blacks despise Orientals. Yet criticism of Serena is automatically viewed as having a racial component, regardless of how abhorrent her behavior can be.

BTW - Tennis like golf (and a few other sports) is considered a gentleman's game. So the behavior that is acceptable in say hockey for example, is not appropriate for tennis. Therefore expecting Serena to conduct herself like a lady has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with the proper decorum of the sport.

`
Criticism of Serena is viewed as having a racial component when she's called a gorilla. Criticism of on-court behavior it completely legitimate, as I and others have stated.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:40 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
... Like the time Serena berated the Oriental line judge and even threatened her. Yet the press didn't start accusing Serena of being racist, even though there is a feeling floating out there that some blacks despise Orientals. Yet criticism of Serena is automatically viewed as having a racial component, regardless of how abhorrent her behavior can be.

`

Just for the record, I refer you to the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of the word "oriental," which I have cut and pasted verbatim:

"Full Definition of ORIENTAL1
often capitalized : of, relating to, or situated in Asia

a : of superior grade, luster, or value
b : being corundum or sapphire but simulating another gem in color

often capitalized sometimes offensive : Asian

capitalized : of, relating to, or constituting the biogeographic region that includes Asia south and southeast of the Himalayas and the Malay Archipelago west of Wallace's line
ori·en·tal·ly

\-təl-ē\ adverb"

As you can see, the word "oriental" refers to THINGS from Asia, not people, who are referred to as "Asians." If you're so worried about Americans behaving as gentlemen and ladies, I would think you would want to use the English language correctly. The line judge in question is a person and not a carpet, so he is Asian (capital A), not oriental.

My mother, who is 89, had a hard time remembering that, too, but I gave her a mnemonic device. I asked her what grade she thinks children from Asia commonly earn in school. She replied "A." (I know, that's a stereotype, lol.) I said the next time you start to say "oriental," remember that the word you want starts with an A. She hasn't made the mistake since. But then again she WANTED to correct herself because in spite of her age she likes to be seen as living in the current century and she would never want to be seen as offensive to other races.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:17 PM

702 posts, read 541,889 times
That's a pretty odd distinction.

A person from America is American. A Cheverolet is an American car.
A person from Russia is Russian. Vodka from Russia is Russian.

Are there any other countries or regions where this kind of distinction is made? Maybe you could say Persian rugs vs. Iranian people, but calling an Iranian a Persian is not really a slur, is it? Maybe archaic?

Also, people call white people caucasians even if thery're not from the caucuses. That's not considered a slur, is it?

FWIW, I don't use the word Oriental because it is considered offensive by some. I've always thought it was odd that it was considered offensive though.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:44 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,614,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It may be for you, but that doesn't take away the sting and hurt from reading racist and other degrading/demeaning remarks directed at you, anonymous or not.

Sure some can laugh it off, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with people who do take offense at such things.

If anything, we have seen that words DO carry a lot of meaning, even with the relative anonymity the internet provides us. We've seen people take their lives from online bullying and harassment.
I agree. And just because someone laughs it off, nine times out of ten they are crying on the inside.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Just for the record, I refer you to the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of the word "oriental," which I have cut and pasted verbatim:

"Full Definition of ORIENTAL1
often capitalized : of, relating to, or situated in Asia

a : of superior grade, luster, or value
b : being corundum or sapphire but simulating another gem in color

often capitalized sometimes offensive : Asian

capitalized : of, relating to, or constituting the biogeographic region that includes Asia south and southeast of the Himalayas and the Malay Archipelago west of Wallace's line
ori·en·tal·ly

\-təl-ē\ adverb"

As you can see, the word "oriental" refers to THINGS from Asia, not people, who are referred to as "Asians." If you're so worried about Americans behaving as gentlemen and ladies, I would think you would want to use the English language correctly. The line judge in question is a person and not a carpet, so he is Asian (capital A), not oriental.

My mother, who is 89, had a hard time remembering that, too, but I gave her a mnemonic device. I asked her what grade she thinks children from Asia commonly earn in school. She replied "A." (I know, that's a stereotype, lol.) I said the next time you start to say "oriental," remember that the word you want starts with an A. She hasn't made the mistake since. But then again she WANTED to correct herself because in spite of her age she likes to be seen as living in the current century and she would never want to be seen as offensive to other races.
Thanks for explaining your attempt at trying to explain how you are infected with PC, but it will always fall on deaf ears with those who are not afflicted.

Just because the liberal PEers have influenced the company that publishes the dictionary enough to include it as being "sometimes offensive", does not make it a racial slur or a pejorative term. I wish they would include it might be offensive to the hyper-sensitive or grievance industry types who believe in PC.
Oriental as opposed to Asian can be a more accurate description of where someone is from, than the generic Asian. If you weren't so PC you might understand that.

Unlike your Mother who apparently is willing to alter her speech at the behest of her daughter who worships at the alter of PC, I never will. The younger generation is willing to obfuscate the more accurate meaning of the word to play their PC games they were brainwashed with, and don't even realize it.
Just like the word n iggradly which has nothing to do with race, yet the ignorant demand an apology if someone uses the word, due to their own ignorance. I will not avoid using words that are accurate just because someone with a chip on their shoulder might be offended.
Heck the other day someone tried to "correct me" when I said Jewfish, and they said it was a goliath grouper.
Needless to say I am not going to play PC games like that whether a lib kook wants me to or not.
So keep speaking to your Mom in a condensing way as if you need to treat her like a child to learn PC, but in the long run you are the one that needs to be educated. Your Mom wasn't offending anyone, and the ones that do get offended are typically white liberals on behalf of people who don't care.

`

Old 06-11-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
That's a pretty odd distinction.

A person from America is American. A Cheverolet is an American car.
A person from Russia is Russian. Vodka from Russia is Russian.

Are there any other countries or regions where this kind of distinction is made? Maybe you could say Persian rugs vs. Iranian people, but calling an Iranian a Persian is not really a slur, is it? Maybe archaic?

Also, people call white people caucasians even if thery're not from the caucuses. That's not considered a slur, is it?

FWIW, I don't use the word Oriental because it is considered offensive by some. I've always thought it was odd that it was considered offensive though.
No kidding but as you might see from my reply to her, I will not accept being sent to reeducation camp for PC brainwashing.
I could have gone into Orient vs. Occident / Oriental vs. Occidental but many of them are beyond reasoning because they are indoctrinated at a very young age.
Therefore many are too far gone to even get them to see how they are wrong, since being PC is so important to them. Heck they feel more offended than the people that are supposedly offended by the word/s.

Thug is their new word, but that effort took a major blow when two prominent black leaders used the term recently.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:10 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,614,442 times
Liberal this liberal that. PC crowd yada yada. Good lord, this is the sports section. Some of you conservative nutbags from the Current Events and Politics and Controversies sections just can't help yourselves, can ya?

Last edited by fitzy24; 06-11-2015 at 03:27 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 03:55 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,909,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's why I don't like Sharapova. Ass when she opens her mouth.
But so are tons of athletes.

^^^Is a swimsuit model. And makes a tennis court look good no matter who she is playing. Same with Kornikova. Who cares what THEY say?

Those are a couple of hot ladies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports