Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:10 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,402,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
much less a lady.
Well score one for sexism... doesn't act like a lady. How is a "lady" suppose to act? Obviously differently than a man, which my friend is the definition of sexism.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:58 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,440,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
... True racism and/or sexism is a far cry from what the kneejerk liberals think it is in modern times.
News flash: People who are NOT the race or sex or nationality of the person being discussed do NOT get to decide what is racist or sexist or biased. For example, if I say hateful things about Dutch people, it's not up to an Englishman to say "That's not a slur against the Dutch." If Dutch people think I am being hateful to them and/or belittling them, then I am, no matter what someone who is not Dutch thinks.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 PM

290 posts, read 261,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I completely agree with the highlighted point.

I'm just pointing out that this nonsense doesn't occur with male athletes. It's disturbing.
How do you know that it doesn't? Especially [ to be politically incorrect] from the gay community. I am sure that somewhere in social media you would find guys commenting on tennis champions' bodies - his backside is better than his etc.

Anyway. The comments about Serena Williams being man like are wrong. She said a few years ago when asked if she could beat a male pro tennis player, Serena said absolutely not. She admits that what she plays is a different type of tennis.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:00 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,822,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post
How do you know that it doesn't? Especially [ to be politically incorrect] from the gay community. I am sure that somewhere in social media you would find guys commenting on tennis champions' bodies - his backside is better than his etc.

Anyway. The comments about Serena Williams being man like are wrong. She said a few years ago when asked if she could beat a male pro tennis player, Serena said absolutely not. She admits that what she plays is a different type of tennis.
Are there in my face mainstream articles about male athlete ugliness or weight?
No.
Are there probably some articles somewhere about something if you look for fringe stuff? Sure. I bet there is a fetish site for David Beckham's toe hair.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,822,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
You clearly implied that player weight doesn't matter in tennis when in fact it does. I pointed out you were incorrect. I have seen articles that mention female tennis player weight and also mention the males as well. You claiming there are zero articles at all is not true. Also it does affect their playing in a way like not being so quick on the court
No, I didn't.
I play tennis.
6-12 hours a week.
I have the Tennis channel.
Read tennis magazines.
Have tennis news apps.
I think I am very aware about what is and isn't being talked about AND if it is in fact being talked about in relation to the athlete's actual performance.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:42 PM

16,989 posts, read 8,962,949 times
Quote:
Did you read my post?
Zero articles on men's weight.
Zero.
Many on women's.
And given that none of the women were overweight in the sense that it affected their playing, it was irrelevant.
First of all, when you say zero articles on men's weight, maybe you were just being lazy looking on page one of a Google search. Many a pro man has been criticized in tennis publications for being out of shape in the past as a reason they were under acheivers. Todays top men are in top shape, otherwise they couldn't compete.

Also there is of course the physical aspect of how women are judged, good or bad. If we are talking about Serena, she has always been thick/big boned, but I do not believe she is fat. Neither was Lindsey Davenport, and they both beat everyone around regardless of their weight.
Heck a top woman use to have huge breasts and people talked about it all the time. Then she had a major reduction and it really helped her game.
The point is that women are judged much more harshly (especially by other women) for their beauty or lack thereof. Men are always looking for sex appeal, and some watch women tennis players for that very reason (Anna Kournikova for example).

Old 06-10-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
News flash: People who are NOT the race or sex or nationality of the person being discussed do NOT get to decide what is racist or sexist or biased. For example, if I say hateful things about Dutch people, it's not up to an Englishman to say "That's not a slur against the Dutch." If Dutch people think I am being hateful to them and/or belittling them, then I am, no matter what someone who is not Dutch thinks.
News flash:
It is not up to the liberal PC types to unilaterally decide what is racist and what isn't either. Yet you have many a white liberal getting worked up over words like Oriental far more so than actual Orientals do. The same is true about the Redskins as opposed to a majority of American Indians. Their latest absurd attempt to demonetize a word and those who say it is "thug".
The list goes on, but you get the point (hopefully).

PS - I should add that your premise about if a particular group decides "something is offensive then it is", all I can say is wrong. Just because a small minority of vocal advocates with chips on their shoulders want to claim it is, does not make it reality.

`

Old 06-10-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Well score one for sexism... doesn't act like a lady. How is a "lady" suppose to act? Obviously differently than a man, which my friend is the definition of sexism.
I probably shouldn't even respond to a newbie and likely troll. However look up the definition of acting like a lady and a gentleman and maybe that will give you some perspective other than your kneejerk inclination to label something, that is due to your PC brainwashing.

`

Old 06-11-2015, 12:15 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,026,644 times
Quote:
No, I didn't.
I play tennis.
6-12 hours a week.
I have the Tennis channel.
Read tennis magazines.
Have tennis news apps.
I think I am very aware about what is and isn't being talked about AND if it is in fact being talked about in relation to the athlete's actual performance.
Yes you did. I play tennis and competed in some pro tournaments. Clearly you aren't aware of what is and isn't being talked about in relation to athlete actual performance. When someone claim extra weight doesn't affect someone performance at the pro level shows they don't know. I say again there are plenty articles that talk about male pro tennis weight along side the females. Just because you fail to find any doesn't equal zero as you claim

Last edited by Devon011; 06-11-2015 at 01:01 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 12:50 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,732,113 times
Serena Williams is a very attractive person. Nice body and in shape. Last time I checked I'm not gay though so I must be missing something here with these comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports