Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:16 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good article and I totally agree with the points made.

Every Serena Williams win comes with a side of disgusting racism and sexism - Vox
I really don't see anything sexist or racist in what you quoted. Perhaps some folks do think she looks like a man. Perhaps some do think she looks like a gorilla. Perhaps some think she's ugly.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:33 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I really don't see anything sexist or racist in what you quoted. Perhaps some folks do think she looks like a man. Perhaps some do think she looks like a gorilla. Perhaps some think she's ugly.
No offense intended towards you, but perhaps you should be aware of history and historical context. There is a long ugly history behind it.

You may find nothing wrong with it, but that doesn't mean a lot of other people won't.

The Coon Caricature: Blacks as Monkeys

Comparing Black People to Monkeys: It’s Worse Than You Thought - The Root

Old 06-10-2015, 02:33 AM

Quote:
No offense intended towards you, but perhaps you should be aware of history and historical context. There is a long ugly history behind it.

You may find nothing wrong with it, but that doesn't mean a lot of other people won't.

The Coon Caricature: Blacks as Monkeys

Comparing Black People to Monkeys: It’s Worse Than You Thought - The Root
So it's a matter of interpretation. Why should the English language be shackled due to what words meant 50+ years ago? The question is - if one thinks Serena looks like an ape should they be allowed to freely voice their thoughts? If one truly thinks she looks like a man - should they be allowed to say it without a history lesson on feminism?

Old 06-10-2015, 03:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Yeah, but where does that belong in a mature conversation about an athlete?

Almost a lot of NFL and NBA guys look like creatures from the 'roid lagoon, but no one talks about their looks. What about the WT big butt look going on in baseball? Do guys sit around watching baseball and talk about the big butt? First thing that pops out on a lot of the pitchers...big giant ass. Not attractive. You guys sip beer and talk about the looks of male athletes? No.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, but where does that belong in a mature conversation about an athlete?

Almost a lot of NFL and NBA guys look like creatures from the 'roid lagoon, but no one talks about their looks. What about the WT big butt look going on in baseball? Do guys sit around watching baseball and talk about the big butt? First thing that pops out on a lot of the pitchers...big giant ass. Not attractive. You guys sip beer and talk about the looks of male athletes? No.
Mature conversation is subjective. Besides, people of all ages use social media. And a lot of guys (and women) talk about the looks of women...nothing new there. Vanity has always been a pretty big thing in society. If one is bothered by the smack talk of anonymous people on Twitter they should probably consider a career that doesn't put them in the spotlight.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Mature conversation is subjective. Besides, people of all ages use social media. And a lot of guys (and women) talk about the looks of women...nothing new there. Vanity has always been a pretty big thing in society. If one is bothered by the smack talk of anonymous people on Twitter they should probably consider a career that doesn't put them in the spotlight.
I completely agree with the highlighted point.

I'm just pointing out that this nonsense doesn't occur with male athletes. It's disturbing.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:12 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,835 times
Quote:
Good article and I totally agree with the points made.

Every Serena Williams win comes with a side of disgusting racism and sexism - Vox
Americans act like this on National TV too! Ever watched the Ellen Show? or other daytime crap shows? They act like animals over winning a TV set for crying out loud making it look like we have nothing here which is BS!

What should 3rd world countries think?

I've watched sports before and most other people from other countries never act like that. I used to enjoy watching Tennis too, back in the day when Joe McEnroe was throwing fits, but even him was nothing like this Serena and her sister. These two took the joy out of watching that sport.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:50 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,917 times
When did they add "unless it offends someone" to the First Amendment?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 AM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
It may be for you, but that doesn't take away the sting and hurt from reading racist and other degrading/demeaning remarks directed at you, anonymous or not.

Sure some can laugh it off, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with people who do take offense at such things.

If anything, we have seen that words DO carry a lot of meaning, even with the relative anonymity the internet provides us. We've seen people take their lives from online bullying and harassment.
The sting and hurt?

Sorry. If you are in the public eye in front of roughly 3 billion plus people with ready internet access.....somebody is going to say something negative to you.

If you value their opinions then it's your own fault.

Sorry but anonymous cowardly bullies are part of life in the public eye. It's not gradeschool anymore where you can cry to the teach that someone called you a name, it's the real world. It's got bigots, man-haters, woman-haters, psychopaths and more to your hearts content.

Maybe whomever wrote that article should write their next article about one of the young girls trying to get an education in Pakistan etc. People are actually trying to KILL them instead of getting whisked from photo shoot to event to hotel via limo etc. while people whine about how mistreated you are making 8-figures a year.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:39 AM

42 posts, read 39,879 times
It's the internet, people forget in this age. These people can now make their thoughts known.
Doesnt mean it's more of it. And heres a newsflash people, our population is growing.

Im Black my damn self, and whe nI played MMOs and games online, even on Xbox Live, when I told people Im Black Id get this all the time.
But I know its just cause theyre anon on the netz, so people show their true colors on the internet.
Its ashame its so many people still this way sure. But hey, what can you do.
90% of these people arent very intelligent so... Im sure Serena knows this.
You couldn't pay 80% of these people to say this stuff to your face.

And again, if she couldnt handle all that, she shouldnt be on INTERnational TV year after year.

It's the internet, this is like, very old news.
Stuff like this.
Not that big a deal, what you gonna do? GO to the house of every tweeter and rewire their brain not to make dumb racist comments? CMon now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports