Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:39 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,128,645 times

Advertisements

I don't know... If Serena Williams looked like Veronica Webb or Halle Berry I don't think she'd get flak for being ugly and manly.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:51 AM

12,284 posts, read 8,732,998 times
Could it be her racist behavior that puts people off? She's an awesome player. Too bad she can't keep her mouth shut.

https://youtu.be/D-2-63IhLtk

Old 06-10-2015, 08:07 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,676,121 times
Quote:
Every Serena Williams win comes with a side of disgusting racism and sexism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Could it be her racist behavior that puts people off? She's an awesome player. Too bad she can't keep her mouth shut.https://youtu.be/D-2-63IhLtk
Perhaps Professional Tennis needs to put up SAY NO TO RACISM signs all over their venues like World Cup Soccer does?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:08 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,026,644 times
I don't really like Serena too much because of her over cockiness and disrespect she has shown people in the past.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:10 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,822,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
I don't really like Serena too much because of her over cockiness and disrespect she has shown people in the past.
It's why I don't like Sharapova. Ass when she opens her mouth.
But so are tons of athletes.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:16 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,026,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's why I don't like Sharapova. Ass when she opens her mouth.
But so are tons of athletes.
I put Sharapova and Serena in the same boat. Yes quite a few are that way

Old 06-10-2015, 08:48 AM

702 posts, read 548,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
When did they add "unless it offends someone" to the First Amendment?
Wow, I didn't realize congress made a law against idiots tweeting racist/sexist comments. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The sting and hurt?

Sorry. If you are in the public eye in front of roughly 3 billion plus people with ready internet access.....somebody is going to say something negative to you.

If you value their opinions then it's your own fault.

Sorry but anonymous cowardly bullies are part of life in the public eye. It's not gradeschool anymore where you can cry to the teach that someone called you a name, it's the real world. It's got bigots, man-haters, woman-haters, psychopaths and more to your hearts content.
And what is wrong with calling out the bigots, man-haters, woman-haters, psychopaths, etc. for what they are? That's exactly what this article is doing, showing how ugly and disgraceful it is. Nothing wrong with adding a positive voice to all the negative ones out there.

Quote:
Maybe whomever wrote that article should write their next article about one of the young girls trying to get an education in Pakistan etc. People are actually trying to KILL them instead of getting whisked from photo shoot to event to hotel via limo etc. while people whine about how mistreated you are making 8-figures a year.
That's not a bad idea since it illustrates where these kinds of attitudes can lead. Maybe after that they can write an article about lynching and Jim Crow laws and remind us all how recent (and, in many cases, current) our problem with race is. Maybe follow it up with a story about a pool party where 14 year old girls are getting body slammed by cops.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,539,956 times
How do you know that Lucie Safarova wasn't the target recipient of five times as many nasty comments about her appearance and personal behaviour, but nobody with an agenda has bothered to search them out and make an issue about it? That would mean that despite Safarove being five times more a victim of hate, you'd prefer to focus on the racism directed against Sarena because that's the vogue thing to do. My guess is that many of the white - esp. blonde - female tennis players are the recipients of a fair amount of hateful and sexually pervse commentary. But you'd never know about it, nor who's behind it because media is too busy with other things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good article and I totally agree with the points made.

Every Serena Williams win comes with a side of disgusting racism and sexism - Vox

Old 06-10-2015, 09:51 AM

79,624 posts, read 61,828,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
And what is wrong with calling out the bigots, man-haters, woman-haters, psychopaths, etc. for what they are? That's exactly what this article is doing, showing how ugly and disgraceful it is. Nothing wrong with adding a positive voice to all the negative ones out there.
We have a person with tons of commercials on the TV showing their great acheivements while they hawk clothing and beauty products plus cars and cameras etc, being asked for autographs left and right....being invited to A-list special events and having an adoring public.

Yes, we just so badly need someone to speak up to offset a pack of internet trolls and morons. (*Sob* I went to Obama's inauguration where I was asked for autographs by his family while Nike just deposited $5mil in my account today.....but Sheldonabc123@yahoo.net called me a gorilla in an internet comment oh the inhumanity!)

What you are entirely missing is scope and perspective.

In the big scheme of actual oppression and human rights, this fluff piece trying to make Serena (Or Venus) into some sort of martyr over internet trolls is downright silly if not even a bit offensive.

It's like #firstworldproblems on crack and steroids....heck, it's bordering on an Onion article.

Tell you what, let's start #superstarproblems we can pull up fellow martyr Tom Brady.

Seattlefan911 - Brady is a scumbag cheater that is a bum and a butt-face

Brady - takes a drive in his Ferrari, bangs his super-model wife, signs autographs for 100 kids at a Pats charity luncheon....and then cries himself to sleep over Seattlefan911 comments.

I hope I made my point.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:38 AM

702 posts, read 548,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We have a person with tons of commercials on the TV showing their great acheivements while they hawk clothing and beauty products plus cars and cameras etc, being asked for autographs left and right....being invited to A-list special events and having an adoring public.

Yes, we just so badly need someone to speak up to offset a pack of internet trolls and morons. (*Sob* I went to Obama's inauguration where I was asked for autographs by his family while Nike just deposited $5mil in my account today.....but Sheldonabc123@yahoo.net called me a gorilla in an internet comment oh the inhumanity!)

What you are entirely missing is scope and perspective.
So racist/sexist comments are okay if the person is rich or famous? It wasn't just tweets and facebook comments. It was sportswriters and tennis officials.

Quote:
In the big scheme of actual oppression and human rights, this fluff piece trying to make Serena (Or Venus) into some sort of martyr over internet trolls is downright silly if not even a bit offensive.
Who said they were martyrs? I didn't see that anywhere. People are calling out disgusting comments. The people that made them should be shamed. I'm sorry if you don't feel that way, but nothing I read suggested they were martyrs.

Quote:
It's like #firstworldproblems on crack and steroids....heck, it's bordering on an Onion article.

Tell you what, let's start #superstarproblems we can pull up fellow martyr Tom Brady.

Seattlefan911 - Brady is a scumbag cheater that is a bum and a butt-face

Brady - takes a drive in his Ferrari, bangs his super-model wife, signs autographs for 100 kids at a Pats charity luncheon....and then cries himself to sleep over Seattlefan911 comments.
That you cannot appreciate the difference between criticizing Tom Brady about actual football related matters, and calling Serena Williams a gorilla suggests to me that you don't actually understand what makes Onion articles funny, and are just laughing along to fit in.

Quote:
I hope I made my point.
You sure did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports