Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 09:08 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

Advertisements

They both look rough to me. But I'd be a bit more afraid to strap on the pads and go out on the gridiron. Dick Butkus and Ray Lewis are crazy. I wouldn't even want to be on the same defense with Butkus little less compete against him.

YouTube - Dick Butkus - Let The Bodies Hit The Floor

"Roses are red, violets are blue. If you have any sense, you'll keep Butkus away from you."
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
unless you're calling Football = AFL

Aussie Rules & Rugby - whilst both popular in Australia are completely different games
Yeah...I had a coworker who played rugby explain the differences between Aussie Rules and Rugby to me a couple of years back. They actually arent completely different games. They are essentially the same game with slightly different rules. Except that Aussie Rules is rougher than Rugby according to him.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:04 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Yeah...I had a coworker who played rugby explain the differences between Aussie Rules and Rugby to me a couple of years back. They actually arent completely different games. They are essentially the same game with slightly different rules. Except that Aussie Rules is rougher than Rugby according to him.
No, they are quite different. Everything from the field to the scoring to the method of passing to offside to use of the foot....

Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,423 times
Quote:
You may be confusing Rugby Union and Rugby League. (But I would contend that the differences between the two, while marginal on paper, lead to very different games).

But Aussie Rules is far, far removed from either Rugby game. Aussie Rules is closer to Soccer than either version of Rugby (and is closest to Gaelic Football).

Edited to add: you do hit one good point when you say that Aussie Rules and Rugby aren't completely different games - in that they are both just forms of Football. They are related, kin. Kind of like saying French, Italian and Spanish are all romance languages. Aussie Rules, both Rugby Union and Rugby League, Soccer, American Football and Gaelic football are all just sister sports, all Football. But yea, they have all diverged a whole lot!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM

Oh - and as to the original question posed in the thread: I'll agree with those before me who basically said it's Apples and Oranges. Both require vast amounts of skill and toughness, but in different ways.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:26 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Rugby/Australian Rules football may be more rough from play to play but American Football is more dangerous for the simple fact of the matter that hitting is a much more prominent aspect of the game in American football. The pads add to the impact because it adds weight and a hard hitting surface (helmet, shoulder pad). When a guy piles into you wearing hard plastic running straight at you from a distance, you are going to feel that. I'm suprised there are not more concussions in American football. And the game has gotten more dangerous because players are bigger AND faster than before due to technology, genetics, nutrition etc. In the past, 300 lb guys did not run a sub 5.00 40 yard dash. Now, it's common place to see linebackers and defensive ends run sub 4.8 40 yard dishes which is what receivers ran 20-30 years ago. So now you have guys that are just as big as they were but now they are fast and are playing positions other than offensive line and Defensive Tackle. Serious injuries in football are common place.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems head injuries in the NFL are a result of players using their helmets as weapons. It seems like players are much more ballsy in American football about going aftter opponets, helmet-to-helmet, because they know they have that their own helmet to "protect" them.
It's not true. You can still endure head collisions when a guy lowers his shoulder pads into your helmet and hits you which is legal and the proper way to tackle. And there is a lot of contact because a players knee can accidentally hit you in a group tackle etc. You don't require helmet to helmet contact to endure a head injury.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
as pointed out they must have explained the difference between Rugby League & Rugby Union.
There are many differences between league and Aussie Rules (league on a square pitch, AR on an oval - different scoring rules, different rules on how to dispose of the ball etc)

also you can run any which way, and running backwards with the flight of the ball is dangerous (see below)

YouTube - Jordan Lewis gets smashed

This is one of my favourite marks .. ever ...
Watch at the start of the play, where #12 is .. and where/how the ball is marked

YouTube - Nick Riewoldt's amazing mark against Sydney

Anyway, I like NFL and am watched it quite a bit last year - on payTV we get 3 games + Monday night ... and I think 1 game is on free-to-air TV -

Growing up, AFL was certainly a lot tougher, than compared to what it is today- then mum's got involved and didn't want their kids to play the sport due to potential injury. ... So the rules have changed over the years, more to protect the ball carrier (stop people from charging into their back) and the head has become very protected - all head high contact comes under scrutiny with potential suspension if contact is made.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:17 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,404,013 times
When I was growing up I used to hear about how AFL players would bite each other's ears off.

Did they clean it up to try and get it on ESPN, the pitiful 4 times it is?

Also I like Rugby League a lot..better than Union. I like 7s though. I guess that is going to be in the Olympics. But I won't watch cuz I hate the British.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
When I was growing up I used to hear about how AFL players would bite each other's ears off.

Did they clean it up to try and get it on ESPN, the pitiful 4 times it is?

Also I like Rugby League a lot..better than Union. I like 7s though. I guess that is going to be in the Olympics. But I won't watch cuz I hate the British.
How is it pitiful? It's an Australian league playing an Australian sport for Australians. Is it a surprise that the AFL isn't exactly trying to make strong headway in American markets? Their main concern is, you know, Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports