Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

*with a few exceptions, Japan and Korea for baseball and maybe Canada to an extent for football.

For over a century now American culture has 'gone global.' One area where this hasn't been apparently is sports. Of the three biggest American sports only Basketball (invented by a Canadian) has really reached global popularity. I think the other two have not, primarily for two reasons:

1. Cricket is popular in the Commonwealth nations...it's the 'bat and ball' sport of England and it's past and present colonies. Baseball enjoys very minor popularity here, mainly among American ex-pats, but cricket is a national obsession. Indians are hugely obsessed with cricket. Despite being in the Americas cricket not baseball is played in the West Indies.

2. There are so many other codes of football...obviously soccer - called football by all but Americans, Australians and Kiwis - is the 'world game' and by far the no. 1 sport in the world, but it's of course very different to gridiron. It's their 'foot and ball' sport though and major spectator team sport. In areas where soccer isn't as dominant, we have forms of football that are outwardly similar to your American football (oval ball, hands are used, goal-posts)...clearly Rugby - league and Union, another British thing, is most similar to Gridiron. Aussie rules is another sport, as is Gaelic football. Aussie rules has a lot less rules and is more free flowing than American football which is very stop-start.

3. Baseball and Football are so closely linked with American culture...people probably see them as 'American' things. It might amaze many Americans to know most people wouldn't even know when the Superbowl is on. Most don't care, obviously. People have heard of the Yankees or Babe Ruth, but they are just names to us.

4. I think basketball has suceeded because it has filled a niche which no other sport occupies. It's also easy to play, doesn't take up much room and can be played indoors easily. Basketball seems especially huge in China and Eastern Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 08:10 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
because foreigner types aren't very good at what one would call "manly" sports

Old 02-11-2012, 08:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Why does it have to be?

Many different cultures do many different things and enjoy many different pasttimes all over the world.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,650,634 times
Because in this country at least most who would follow NFL already follow rugby, and most who would follow baseball already follow cricket. Our own sports are already too entrenched in our culture for similar, foreign ones to take root. Another reason why US sports haven't taken off here is that we don't have any connection to any of the teams, plus they're generally on in the middle of the night our time.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:06 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
because foreigner types aren't very good at what one would call "manly" sports
Yeah, because rugby isnt "manly" or soccer where players get stitches and staples in their body and return to the pitch within a couple of minutes isnt manly.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:08 PM

There are a couple of reasons:

1) As already mentioned, rugby and cricket are counterparts to baseball and football and they are already established.

2) There is far too much downtime in those sports. Both sports have very little play time over a 3 hour period. An average football game only has 12 minutes of actual game play and I think baseball has like 30 minutes. Those just arent things people are use too when soccer is free flowing as is rugby.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
There are a couple of reasons:

1) As already mentioned, rugby and cricket are counterparts to baseball and football and they are already established.

2) There is far too much downtime in those sports. Both sports have very little play time over a 3 hour period. An average football game only has 12 minutes of actual game play and I think baseball has like 30 minutes. Those just arent things people are use too when soccer is free flowing as is rugby.
Yeah, I have heard other countries say that football is too slow. You run a play and then you huddle...I have heard that bores them to tears with the whole start and stop thing.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Yeah, I have heard other countries say that football is too slow. You run a play and then you huddle...I have heard that bores them to tears with the whole start and stop thing.
Yeah, I have a few friends who moved here from Europe and other places and they cannot stand it. I do have a couple who have grown to love football but they cannot stand baseball. I dont blame them, I use to love it but as I have grown older, it bores me to tears.

In Europe, they show NFL games as capsules where they show the games play after play without commercials and they can show the game, every play with highlights of the big plays in 30 minutes.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:33 PM

61 posts, read 141,335 times
Football is so boring. I like baseball a lot but that's probably just because I played it. Hockey is the best, of course!

Old 02-11-2012, 07:36 PM

42 posts, read 75,606 times
baseball is extremely popular in japan and in some parts of latin america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports