Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Not sure.
I've been to rugby matches, and you can hear their bodies slamming against each other. They don't hold back.
You know that is a good point, though you didn't specifically mention it. The examples I provided were trauma which American football actually does have a much higher rate of than other sports, by far.

But in terms of chronic, or long term, injuries, I'm uncertain. Interesting counterpoint!

On the whole, I'd feel more safe letting my kids play rugby than football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 02:30 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,850,606 times
Double breaks in the leg are a fairly common occurrence in Football (soccer) with a litany of high name players suffering some truly horrific injuries. Football certainly has a large amount of dangerous contact. The common list of injuries in football include: Medial Ligament rupture, Anterior Cruciate Ligament rupture, Meniscus injuries, Metatarsal fractures, muscle strains and tearing, hernias, and broken bones. This is quite a lengthy list for a sport which ostensibly refrains from player-on-player contact.

Eduardo Da Silva injury - YouTube

Cisse Breaks Leg - YouTube

Henrik Larsson Leg Break - YouTube

Top 10 Worst Football Tackles! - YouTube

Old 02-26-2012, 06:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
You know that is a good point, though you didn't specifically mention it. The examples I provided were trauma which American football actually does have a much higher rate of than other sports, by far.

But in terms of chronic, or long term, injuries, I'm uncertain. Interesting counterpoint!

On the whole, I'd feel more safe letting my kids play rugby than football.
Ah See your point.
Interestingly from what the NFL is finding re head trauma, Australian Football Rules (Aussie Rules, NOT Rugby) have changed rules and requirements with head injuries. If a player is deemed concussed, they can't return to the field & must miss a week.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,586 times
Many people say that baseball is pretty popular in Latin America but Baseball is only huge in the Spanish Caribbean, Venezuela and Nicaragua.

Here's my take on sports in Latin America.

Baseball:
Huge in (number 1 sport)
DR
Puerto Rico
Cuba
Venezuela
Nicaragua (followed by football, not a great sporting culture in general)

Important sport in:
Panama, some may argue is the #1 sport in the country ( followed closely by Boxing and football which has seen a great increase of popularity due to the recent succes of the national team)

Minor sport in:
Mexico ( popular in northern states and the Yucatan, non-existant as a spectator sport)
Colombia ( a minor sport in the caribbean coast, the national league only has 4 pro teams)

Non-existant in: El salvador, Honduras, Costa Rica, Peru, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Guatemala, Uruguay, Ecuador.

American football:
Minor sport in Mexico and Puerto Rico. The Mexican Onefa (National Student Organization of American Football- college level) has some great university rivalries but very few outside the uiversity alumni watches the games on TV. The top teams average 5,000-7,000 fans a game. Derbies can top 10,000 fans. Very few people play the game but it has a lot of viewers in Mexico. The SupeBowl usually gets close to a million viewers. And games are shown on over-the-air channels and basic cable.

In Puerto Rico the game has some amateur leagues, but it is still by far behind baseball, basketball, boxing, volleyball and football soccer.

non-existant in the rest of Latin America.

Basketball

Played throughout Latin America, seen as a recreational sport more than anything, like freebie for example.

It enjoys a great following (local leagues, NBA, Olympics, rec. sport, spectator sport) in Puerto Rico, Argentina, Uruguay and Venezuela.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:53 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,850,606 times
Basketball is also popular in Spain and Serbia.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,856,531 times
with globalization all sports have gotten some kind of increase in popularity worldwide. The sport that has benefited the most from globalization is obviously soccer. It's the worlds most popular sport and its not even close. And it's the fastest growing sport in the U.S.

NFL football has been a failure globally. It just doesn't have much appeal outside of North America and it doesn't matter what Roger Goodell does to try to make the NFL global, it will just never work. There are a lot of reasons for this. Like some have mentioned, the type of fan that may be interested in NFL football already has rugby as a contact sport. But i think more importantly is that the NFL is seen as more as entertainment than as sport. The stoppage of play and the amount of advertisements make it feel like the game is just there so the viewer can be sold products. When I lived in Britain thats how a lot of Britons felt about it.

Baseball is declining in this country and it doesn't seem to have much appeal globally either. An American sports league that I think has a chance to become global is the NBA. Basketball is taken seriously throughout Europe and parts of South America. One thing I think holding the NBA back is the barrier to entry for foreign players. If a foreign player wants to enter the NBA he has to go through the draft system even though he is not an amateur. This isn't done in baseball. In baseball a player from Japan can be bought through a transfer fee and the player can choose which club he wants to sign with. You might not have ever seen Ichiro in MLB if he had to enter himself into a draft.

The NBA in many ways isn't structured to benefit from globalization. The long 82 game season(plus playoffs) requires players to shut down and rest during the off-season. That makes it difficult to have serious international competition.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
American Football is beginning to get more popular in Mexico

Estadio Azteca, Mexico City

Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,142 times
Because they are slow pace and too much politics in American sport.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:17 AM

31 posts, read 39,524 times
Baseball is very popular around the world. American Football not so much.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:36 PM

536 posts, read 573,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Because they are slow pace and too much politics in American sport.
I do believe there is big money and politics (transfer system) in international soccer as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports