Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 02:02 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,620,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Nobody is saying that the old bridge shouldn't have been replaced, because it definitely should've. The point is that a very expensive bridge replaced it. Some would say that the cost was not necessary.

Given the scope of the bridge, it seems silly for some of the Charleston-area posters to suggest that key interchanges in Greenville and Columbia should take a backseat to the I-526 project in Charleston. As I said in a previous comment, a lot of projects in other parts of the state are justified in light of the $600 million spent on the Ravenel bridge.

I have to wonder if some of the Charleston boosters here truly believe that Charleston-area projects should always be the priority in SC.
To add to this, the state proposed many years ago to replace the old bridges. The delays were in part caused by Riley insisting on a state funded signature bridge. I can't remember the numbers for a simpler bridge but it is obvious that building a bridge in the most efficient way was not a top priority. Perhaps Greenville should push for a signature bridge at the 385/85 interchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 02:26 PM

154 posts, read 244,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Nobody is saying that the old bridge shouldn't have been replaced, because it definitely should've. The point is that a very expensive bridge replaced it. Some would say that the cost was not necessary.

Given the scope of the bridge, it seems silly for some of the Charleston-area posters to suggest that key interchanges in Greenville and Columbia should take a backseat to the I-526 project in Charleston. As I said in a previous comment, a lot of projects in other parts of the state are justified in light of the $600 million spent on the Ravenel bridge.

I have to wonder if some of the Charleston boosters here truly believe that Charleston-area projects should always be the priority in SC.
oh well I agree the 526 extension seems silly waste of money and shouldn't be a priority.

To me the priority in Charleston would be the 526 and 26 interchange although I'm not sure they could do much to alleviate that congestion.

I do think Charleston in general does deserve a slight preference because of the two rivers and lack of many bridges limiting the options drivers have on their commutes. Traffic is much worse down there across the board.

I didn't think the Greenville interchange was that bad but has been 5 years since I done that during rush hour. That Columbia interchange is probably the one they should do first.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:32 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,662,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
The landmark bridge could have been built at a lower cost with no effect on the state. BMW could just as easily use Savannah's port or even Jacksonville. BMW was not built in Spartanburg because of the port.
Yeah, BMW could have saved a lot of money by building their plant in Charleston, Savannah or Jax and save transportation to any port too. And it 'Did' need a port, lots of cars go over seas. But good ole SC wanted to give you guys jobs up there.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,581,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Yeah, BMW could have saved a lot of money by building their plant in Charleston, Savannah or Jax and save transportation to any port too. And it 'Did' need a port, lots of cars go over seas. But good ole SC wanted to give you guys jobs up there.
Access to a port is definitely important to their business. However, You make it seem as though BMW would have wanted to be in Charleston. That's quite the opinion you have of yourself. It's as if locating between two metropolitan areas wasn't an asset and having a strong manufacturing/textile base wasn't a factor. Oh yes, thanks for the handout low country brethren. Maybe you should be thankful for the Upstate partnering up and bringing the car maker to SC and providing jobs to your city. You're welcome!

Old 12-25-2013, 04:14 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,460,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Access to a port is definitely important to their business. However, You make it seem as though BMW would have wanted to be in Charleston. That's quite the opinion you have of yourself. It's as if locating between two metropolitan areas wasn't an asset and having a strong manufacturing/textile base wasn't a factor. Oh yes, thanks for the handout low country brethren. Maybe you should be thankful for the Upstate partnering up and bringing the car maker to SC and providing jobs to your city. You're welcome!
Let's not forget that port improvements were tied up in the courts for many years, with the Port Authority, the Feds, the State, and local politicos squabbling over what to do with the old Navy Yard and whatnot.

Upstate is the logical choice for auto assay, in my book. Southern Applachia, and down through northern tiers of MS, AL, and GA are part of the int'l auto manufacturing corridor, in fact I can't think of one assy plant near to the East Coast.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:22 PM

5,496 posts, read 8,348,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
There are many more employers up here other than BMW. It isn't the largest employer in the upstate either, definitely not the largest employer in Greenville. Maybe in Spartanburg which is where it's located. It just added to what was already in the upstate. I repeat, not the largest employer in Greenville. I'm not sure why so many think this.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:45 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,413,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
There are many more employers up here other than BMW. It isn't the largest employer in the upstate either, definitely not the largest employer in Greenville. Maybe in Spartanburg which is where it's located. It just added to what was already in the upstate. I repeat, not the largest employer in Greenville. I'm not sure why so many think this.
Sure isn't the largest employer. You have Waffle House, Old Country Buffett, Sunoco, firework stands, WalMart...........just joking haha! Hope you all up there had a great Christmas.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:05 AM

5,596 posts, read 15,409,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBaker View Post
I didn't think the Greenville interchange was that bad but has been 5 years since I done that during rush hour.
The I-85/I-385 interchange area (which includes every nearby portion interstate freeway) is definitely in need of an upgrade. The roads and bridges in that area were designed for significantly less traffic. The merge lanes and exits are, in many cases, extremely insufficient for the amount of vehicles that use them each day. Now is the best time to upgrade this interchange and prepare it for even greater traffic in the future. The Greenville metropolitan area is steadily growing and should take action today or its infrastructure will remain inadequate and could negatively affect the state's ability to attract future economic developments.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:54 AM

8,265 posts, read 13,413,874 times
Isnt there a toll road in the upstate or did they have the tolls removed? I was just curious on if it was successful in generating enought revenue to pay for the road itself...

Old 12-27-2013, 10:00 AM

83 posts, read 126,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Isnt there a toll road in the upstate or did they have the tolls removed? I was just curious on if it was successful in generating enought revenue to pay for the road itself...
I think the toll is still there, was last year in December. But it is at least partially subsidized by the state now I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina