Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the fastest growing?
Greenville 19 25.00%
Charleston 30 39.47%
Columbia 21 27.63%
Spartanburg 2 2.63%
Anderson 1 1.32%
North Charleston 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 AM

737 posts, read 1,656,475 times

Advertisements

BTW, I thought this argument was supposed to be shut down by now. So whats the excuse? Since the 2000 census I thought Charleston was supposed to be the gorilla that no one could challenge, and Greenville was supposed to be almost as significant as Charlotte, what happened? Why is this still an issue? If those cities are supposed to be the spearhead then why haven't they lived up to expectations? Why isnt SC the New South powerhouse it is supposed to be? Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, DC, Houston, and Dallas can seem to lead there states into the next economic frontier. What's wrong with Greenville, and Charleston? Sure I get it subjectively everyone is a homer, I voted for Columbia go check it out, allow it to blow your mind, but consider the facts. Economic growth, population growth, etc... Why hasn't Greenville, or Charleston accelerated above and beyond, why are we still having this conversation? Why should people from Columbia assume that the Midlands is not as viable, when in most objective metrics it is either on par with Charleston and Greenville, or above it? Shopping, and food attractions are we that easily appeased and willing to pat ourselves on the back? The state who£es itself out so that another company can locate here instead of Mexico and that is considered a win? How low does the bar have to be set so that we can feel superior? I've been a member of this site for a little over half a decade and its the same lame argument. One can look up any of our greatest hits in this forum It's quite pathetic. Who's growing the fastest, who's bigger, who got what shi!!y fill in the ________ first. Typically most rebuttals start with your just jealous because _____! Well again Iv'e saved you the time just fill in the blank. Isn't there anything more to be in SC?......I'm still waiting to hear it....

Last edited by sandlapper; 05-21-2013 at 01:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 01:40 AM

737 posts, read 1,656,475 times
And to continue with my previous post, and address all the critics (because I know your reading) burning question "what about Columbia", (Okay I get it because Ive got your attention now you want to hold it accountable, sure why not). Of note As a disclaimer I will refer to this post whenever Columbia is brought for a challenge in any future post. Okay, let's hear it!

Last edited by sandlapper; 05-21-2013 at 01:59 AM..

Old 05-21-2013, 03:59 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
BTW, I thought this argument was supposed to be shut down by now. So whats the excuse? Since the 2000 census I thought Charleston was supposed to be the gorilla that no one could challenge, and Greenville was supposed to be almost as significant as Charlotte, what happened? Why is this still an issue? If those cities are supposed to be the spearhead then why haven't they lived up to expectations? Why isnt SC the New South powerhouse it is supposed to be? Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, DC, Houston, and Dallas can seem to lead there states into the next economic frontier. What's wrong with Greenville, and Charleston? Sure I get it subjectively everyone is a homer, I voted for Columbia go check it out, allow it to blow your mind, but consider the facts. Economic growth, population growth, etc... Why hasn't Greenville, or Charleston accelerated above and beyond, why are we still having this conversation? Why should people from Columbia assume that the Midlands is not as viable, when in most objective metrics it is either on par with Charleston and Greenville, or above it? Shopping, and food attractions are we that easily appeased and willing to pat ourselves on the back? The state who£es itself out so that another company can locate here instead of Mexico and that is considered a win? How low does the bar have to be set so that we can feel superior? I've been a member of this site for a little over half a decade and its the same lame argument. One can look up any of our greatest hits in this forum It's quite pathetic. Who's growing the fastest, who's bigger, who got what shi!!y fill in the ________ first. Typically most rebuttals start with your just jealous because _____! Well again Iv'e saved you the time just fill in the blank. Isn't there anything more to be in SC?......I'm still waiting to hear it....
Same old boring arguments...nothing never changes, while SC is the laughing stock when it comes to being progressive or offering at least one new south city...Folks are so ready to argue on here about the same ish. Don't offer anything new...smh

Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 AM

12,952 posts, read 18,805,608 times
Columbia just keeps on keeping on. It hasn't even gone out of its way to sell itself but still keeps pace with the other two. It minds its own business and doesn't look for every opportunity to insinuate bad things about the other two, neither blatantly nor subtly.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:30 AM

5,492 posts, read 8,338,515 times
I think Greenville has progressed very well considering it isn't government based, doesn't have a big college, and isn't on the coast. It just keeps progressing regardless. One could argue that it should be way behind Columbia and Charleston. For a place without those things, quality of life here is right up there.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 AM

117 posts, read 144,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I think Greenville has progressed very well considering it isn't government based, doesn't have a big college, and isn't on the coast. It just keeps progressing regardless. One could argue that it should be way behind Columbia and Charleston. For a place without those things, quality of life here is right up there.
Red, you are ignoring one huge fact touted by your chamber of commerce on every possible publication/website, Greenville sits on I85 between Charlotte and Atlanta. Greenville should be growing faster based on that alone. All of this other crying about no college etc...is crap. Clemson is in the Greenville MSA and has a large presence in Greenville, didn't the developers of One just give them 70k sq feet for almost nothing. I think your argument is overstated.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM

37,902 posts, read 42,048,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
This is mostly attributable to the state of SC and its priorities and not the cities themselves. I think that Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville make due given what they have to work with. However, until the state puts a real focus on education and developing a highly skilled South Carolinian workforce, the state will continue to lag. SC has the highest tuition for its public colleges and universities in the South with among the lowest level of contributions from the state. This corresponds inversely with the quality of these institutions when compared to neighboring states. Yet something as simple as creating a board of regents to oversee the public institutions in the state would go a long way towards improving their quality, but it's something the state has yet to implement for whatever reason.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:21 AM

117 posts, read 144,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is mostly attributable to the state of SC and its priorities and not the cities themselves. I think that Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville make due given what they have to work with. However, until the state puts a real focus on education and developing a highly skilled South Carolinian workforce, the state will continue to lag. SC has the highest tuition for its public colleges and universities in the South with among the lowest level of contributions from the state. This corresponds inversely with the quality of these institutions when compared to neighboring states. Yet something as simple as creating a board of regents to oversee the public institutions in the state would go a long way towards improving their quality, but it's something the state has yet to implement for whatever reason.
You are going to fall out of your chair but, I agree with you. The universities in this state are very underfunded and policies governing the schools are too political. For instance, tuition at state schools in SC are very different. I think Clemson has the highest tuition of any public school in the south and the difference between it and other state schools is the largest in the south. While I don't think it will ever happen, the state should have an oversight board similar to other states.

This does make it harder for cities in SC to attract and retain talent. Neighboring state have easily passed SC and they have done it by properly funding schools and competing for creative class jobs. SC is content to offer the "we are lowest cost" argument that does well in some regards like a Boeing but it also holds the state back in attracting high paying positions. Some of my friends in other states have looked at moving to SC but won't because of the big pay cut assuming they can even find a similar job.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:26 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,279,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Columbia just keeps on keeping on. It hasn't even gone out of its way to sell itself but still keeps pace with the other two. It minds its own business and doesn't look for every opportunity to insinuate bad things about the other two, neither blatantly nor subtly.
Columbia's got swag.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:45 AM

281 posts, read 427,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Yeah, actually a lot of people here wouldn't want to live in Columbia or Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina