Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the fastest growing?
Greenville 19 25.00%
Charleston 30 39.47%
Columbia 21 27.63%
Spartanburg 2 2.63%
Anderson 1 1.32%
North Charleston 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,078,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTesla35 View Post
What is growing down there, exactly? I don't see many jobs down there for engineers but it has never been a hotbed for engineering work.
A city doesn't need to have a strong engineering sector to post high growth rates, LOL. Two things are largely fueling the growth down there: retirees and Boeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 04:11 PM

166 posts, read 190,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A city doesn't need to have a strong engineering sector to post high growth rates, LOL. Two things are largely fueling the growth down there: retirees and Boeing.
I think o f growth in terms of economic growth and jobs. Boeing has some jobs but most people don't work in that field and their jobs wouldn't exist if not for government. I don't see how retirees matter in terms of economic growth outside of housing and helping the local economy with what they buy.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I think o f growth in terms of economic growth and jobs. Boeing has some jobs but most people don't work in that field and their jobs wouldn't exist if not for government. I don't see how retirees matter in terms of economic growth outside of housing and helping the local economy with what they buy.
The high-tech sector is actually beginning to grow at a pretty healthy clip in Charleston: Charleston Ranks in Top 10 for U.S. Job Recovery and Economic Growth | Charleston Regional Development Alliance Blog

The manufacturing sector is also experiencing growth, thanks again to Boeinig: Charleston ranks #1 for manufacturing jobs growth - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say that most people don't work for Boeing. Most people in any one city don't work for any one company or in any single sector, and this includes cities that rely relatively heavily on one industry (e.g., Charlotte and banking, Houston and energy, etc.). And I also don't know what the reference to government is supposed to mean.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The high-tech sector is actually beginning to grow at a pretty healthy clip in Charleston: Charleston Ranks in Top 10 for U.S. Job Recovery and Economic Growth | Charleston Regional Development Alliance Blog

The manufacturing sector is also experiencing growth, thanks again to Boeinig: Charleston ranks #1 for manufacturing jobs growth - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say that most people don't work for Boeing. Most people in any one city don't work for any one company or in any single sector, and this includes cities that rely relatively heavily on one industry (e.g., Charlotte and banking, Houston and energy, etc.). And I also don't know what the reference to government is supposed to mean.
Well you mentioned Boeing as though most people could get a job there. It's just one company. Your logic appeared to be because Boeing is hiring Charleston has tons of economic growth and new jobs.

I believe much of their work is for their government but I could be wrong about that.

I don't work in manufacturing, those tend to be the worse engineering jobs in terms of horrible work hours and sweat shop environment.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Well you mentioned Boeing as though most people could get a job there. It's just one company. Your logic appeared to be because Boeing is hiring Charleston has tons of economic growth and new jobs.
Boeing accounts for a large share of the new jobs in the area, not counting the spin-off effect such a large manufacturer has.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 PM

12,972 posts, read 18,825,161 times
In his June 2013 South Carolina Digest report, economist Dr. Bruce Yandle of Clemson says Charleston is the only SC that has more jobs than before the recession. He adds that noteworthy progress in that regard has also occurred in Columbia and Spartanburg.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
In his June 2013 South Carolina Digest report, economist Dr. Bruce Yandle of Clemson says Charleston is the only SC that has more jobs than before the recession. He adds that noteworthy progress in that regard has also occurred in Columbia and Spartanburg.
I don't believe any place in SC has more jobs now than before the recession.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:18 PM

12,972 posts, read 18,825,161 times
Quote:
I don't believe any place in SC has more jobs now than before the recession.
If I get asked the question in a trivia contest I'm going with Dr. Yandle's take on it.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
If I get asked the question in a trivia contest I'm going with Dr. Yandle's take on it.
You do what you got to do but it is simply unbelievable that more jobs in any SC city than prior to the economic collapse. At least as far as good jobs go.

I used to filter by state when I did job searches on Indeed and elsewhere prior to 2008, now I just search nationwide. LOL

Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,248,983 times
Quote:

I believe much of their work is for their government but I could be wrong about that.

I don't work in manufacturing, those tend to be the worse engineering jobs in terms of horrible work hours and sweat shop environment.
Boeings biggest customers are private airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina