Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2022, 04:42 AM

2,403 posts, read 1,574,072 times

Advertisements

by the way Geoff Netflix has a good show about the history of Football ( it all started in the NW) The English Game i think its called
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 06:48 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
by the way Geoff Netflix has a good show about the history of Football ( it all started in the NW) The English Game i think its called
I’ll try to find it. Sunderland Til I Die was fantastic.

I’m enjoying the cultural part of the game. Baseball used to be like that when I was a kid in the 1960s. When the Red Sox went from last place to the World Series in 1967, all of New England shut down. Now, it’s like the big 6 EPL teams. I started following Liverpool when the Red Sox bought them and decided I liked commercial free EPL far better than US professional sports with the endless commercial breaks and big money. It’s fun watching Liverpool but I’m very much a bandwagon fan. Other than Red Sox ownership which is very corporate, I have no connection to the city of Liverpool. I had New England Revolution season tickets for a while but didn’t like the poor quality of US football after watching EPL. My paternal grandparents were both from Blackburn. My grandmother’s brother and his son were both council members and mayor for a year. I was at their house as a little kid. Blackburn is a more appropriate team for me to follow. I spent my £140 to live stream their matches. I read the local newspaper stories. I know most of the players now. It’s only a 2 hour train ride to Preston from Kings Cross so I plan to take in a match any time I’m in London. From Boston, we always take the LHR morning flight to get to Europe to avoid overnight in an airplane. It’s easy enough to do a Saturday morning train ride and Uber to Ewood. I have relatives in the area. Go Rovers. Eat Venky’s chicken.

More football-related, all the Championship teams that played lower leagues crashed out of the league cup yesterday. There are only 2 Championship teams in the second round so far. Preston North End and Norwich. There will be some interesting matches in the third round with EPL teams playing League Two teams that are usually invisible.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:01 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,158,656 times
Quote:
While its not quite historically accurate, it does a great job of telling the story. I enjoyed it!

Old 08-10-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
More football-related, all the Championship teams that played lower leagues crashed out of the league cup yesterday. There are only 2 Championship teams in the second round so far. Preston North End and Norwich. There will be some interesting matches in the third round with EPL teams playing League Two teams that are usually invisible.
given the goal of all Championship sides should be to push for promotion to the EPL I can see the league cup as a distraction, i wonder how many played their best 11 yesterday

Old 08-10-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
given the goal of all Championship sides should be to push for promotion to the EPL I can see the league cup as a distraction, i wonder how many played their best 11 yesterday
Agreed. Once the big EPL teams show up with squad players who could start for most EPL teams, a Championship team has no chance at the league cup. If I owned a Championship team, I’d play my backup players and if I had to play anyone from the starting XI, I’d tell them I expect them to minimize the runs and contact. Promotion is where the money lies.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Agreed. Once the big EPL teams show up with squad players who could start for most EPL teams, a Championship team has no chance at the league cup. If I owned a Championship team, I’d play my backup players and if I had to play anyone from the starting XI, I’d tell them I expect them to minimize the runs and contact. Promotion is where the money lies.
From a purely business side, I have to also agree. But from a fan standpoint, beating a big bad premier level team in the league or FA cup is just such a huge boost. But I understand. The money from promotion makes it a no-brainer.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
From a purely business side, I have to also agree. But from a fan standpoint, beating a big bad premier level team in the league or FA cup is just such a huge boost. But I understand. The money from promotion makes it a no-brainer.
which is why you see great FA cup game between league two or league one sides and higher opposition Those smaller clubs have nothing to fear, play their best eleven and occasionally go on cup runs that are the stuff of legend and dreams Most recent case in point was Lincoln City in the FA Cup where lowly non league (below League two) got to the quarter finals in 2016/17 before losing to Arsenal

Old 08-10-2022, 01:47 PM

I can't stream Blackburn-Hartlepool United. They might not be streaming it despite the button being available on their application. I tried iPad, iPhone, and a web browser on my laptop. Oh well. If it doesn't work on Saturday, I'll try to get some customer support. Blackburn is starting 10 backup players and a starting XI center back who scored in the first half. Tyler Morton, the 19 year old Liverpool midfielder loan they just got last week, is playing.

I have Sunderland on ESPN+. They're away at Sheffield Wednesday. There are maybe 300 spectators in the upper level behind the goal Sunderland is defending in the first half. The field camera almost never goes there so it's hard to spot the Where's Waldo shirts.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:29 PM

Chelsea Tottenham, what a finish. Not talking about the Kane Header to steal a point at the bridge. I'm talking about two managers going head to head. I love passion and football. I think a lot was designed to gear up the intensity of their teams. Can't wait for the rematch at Spurs.

Red Cards for two managers. Now that is how to end a match!

Chelsea dominated the game until Conte switched to a back 4 and played with 4 forwards. Completely changed the game. Risky decision but in the end it worked. Could easily have failed. Still, these are two good teams. I thin the gap between Liverpool and Man City and the rest of the league is closing a bit.

Old 08-14-2022, 01:28 PM

I live streamed RoversTV after spending my £140. Blackburn - West Brom. WBA dominated early but was unable to put the ball into the net. The Rovers went up 2-0 on counters late in the first half and early in the second half. West Brom finally put one in the net off a deflection off a 17 year old CB making his first start. The Rovers held on through 11 minutes of extra time. WBA was the better team. Better to be lucky than good, I guess. Blackburn is at the top of the table. They’ve allowed 1 goal in 3 matches.

I was surprised. The live stream was comparable quality to Peacock EPL and ESPN+ Championship matches. The match replays are very compressed.

Sunderland home attendance was 37,884.

I glanced at a score yesterday and flipped on ManU as they gave up their 4th goal. Schadenfreude but it’s a fun meltdown to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer