Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2022, 07:01 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I am also pulling for Burnley to drop down, but Everton certainly are doing their best to fall. Should be a great week! enjoy!

My guess is that Burnley will get a 0-0 draw in one of their two matches and Leeds will go down on goal differential. If Burnley gets relegated, their ownership looks so weak that they're probably gone from EPL forever. American investors don't understand relegation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 07:06 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My guess is that Burnley will get a 0-0 draw in one of their two matches and Leeds will go down on goal differential. If Burnley gets relegated, their ownership looks so weak that they're probably gone from EPL forever. American investors don't understand relegation.
The last two relegation's they did manage to bounce back immediately with promotion the following season, however the time before that it took them 33 years to get back! I think generally if you don't start competing for promotion straight away it gets more difficult each season that passes, I guess the extra money you have from being a Premier League club starts to run out!

Old 05-16-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The last two relegation's they did manage to bounce back immediately with promotion the following season, however the time before that it took them 33 years to get back! I think generally if you don't start competing for promotion straight away it gets more difficult each season that passes, I guess the extra money you have from being a Premier League club starts to run out!

It's different ownership. US investors did a leveraged buyout so the team is strapped with a big pile of debt. Without the television revenue from EPL, the debt swallows you up. £102 million is the latest number I see. A big chunk of that debt gets called immediately when the team gets relegated which eats up all their cash.

It's a different business model from US professional sports where there is no such thing as relegation. There's also no such thing as getting points deducted for having unstable finances. Derby got hit with 21 points and is relegated out of Championship League. It's easy to imagine that with Burnley. They don't have a billionaire owner or the backing of a giant sports ownership corporation that has billions in assets with other professional teams they own. It's some "finance guy" who did the deal with debt financing.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:03 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,158,656 times
Quote:
It is a different work in the US. Hopefully they get the financial advice on how big a cost a drop like this entails. But it certainly does not look like it. I think you are right on this!

Old 05-16-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You obviously haven't read up on this much. It was a bloody awful challenge, it was a dangerous challenge and as MANY have pointed out it could easily have broken his leg:-

https://www.givemesport.com/88006977...-mateo-kovacic
https://sportsinformer.co.uk/2022/05...-on-the-bench/
https://talksport.com/football/fa-cu...ol-leeds-fans/

I'm not sure what your argument is to be honest?
My argument is that it was not a "bloody awful challenge." The resulting injury is sad, but anytime a player gets the ball and the only foul is on the follow through, the challenge is by definition, NOT BLOODY AWFUL. He got the ball. He wasn't late. His follow through, AFTER he hit the ball, was a stupid move. He did not need to do it. He could have tried to stop his follow through, and he did not. I still say it only deserved a yellow, but I am fine with the call on the red. It simply was NOT intentional "serious foul play" or "violent conduct." It wasn't something despicable like a punch, head butt, spitting ... It wasn't denying a goal-scoring opportunity. It wasn't taunting, abusive language or gesture, racial comments, or anything like this. The call was for recklessness. Every single red card for recklessness is a judgment call by the official. I would not have given it, you would have. Why you care so much about what others say shows that you have no belief in yourself. Explain why you think it was a red card without the nonsense hyperbole of almost losing his leg or any other such nonsense. The resulting injury has nothing to do with it. Its about the conduct. You think it was too aggressive, I do not. I am fine with us ending our discussion on a simple difference of opinion. You want to keep going, fine with me.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
It is a different work in the US. Hopefully they get the financial advice on how big a cost a drop like this entails. But it certainly does not look like it. I think you are right on this!
That’s apparently the history of the Indian chicken company people who bought Blackburn. You look at the profit & loss and cash flow for the business and it looks great. They didn’t understand the financial debacle of relegation. It’s tough to attract investors for a relegated team. Some US finance guy watched the movie Moneyball and thinks he can do that in Championship when 23 other teams are forced to adopt the same approach.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
That’s apparently the history of the Indian chicken company people who bought Blackburn. You look at the profit & loss and cash flow for the business and it looks great. They didn’t understand the financial debacle of relegation. It’s tough to attract investors for a relegated team. Some US finance guy watched the movie Moneyball and thinks he can do that in Championship when 23 other teams are forced to adopt the same approach.
That was such a good movie. Sad that investors are not understanding these things. I think at some point it will be a premier league of a dozen or so multi-billionaire owned financial giants and 10 to 12 teams fighting each year to make it or stay in.

Old 05-16-2022, 02:55 PM

I feel dirty rooting for Saudi Arabia but I wanted Kane and Son in Champions League.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:21 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
My argument is that it was not a "bloody awful challenge." The resulting injury is sad, but anytime a player gets the ball and the only foul is on the follow through, the challenge is by definition, NOT BLOODY AWFUL. He got the ball. He wasn't late. His follow through, AFTER he hit the ball, was a stupid move. He did not need to do it. He could have tried to stop his follow through, and he did not. I still say it only deserved a yellow, but I am fine with the call on the red. It simply was NOT intentional "serious foul play" or "violent conduct." It wasn't something despicable like a punch, head butt, spitting ... It wasn't denying a goal-scoring opportunity. It wasn't taunting, abusive language or gesture, racial comments, or anything like this. The call was for recklessness. Every single red card for recklessness is a judgment call by the official. I would not have given it, you would have. Why you care so much about what others say shows that you have no belief in yourself. Explain why you think it was a red card without the nonsense hyperbole of almost losing his leg or any other such nonsense. The resulting injury has nothing to do with it. Its about the conduct. You think it was too aggressive, I do not. I am fine with us ending our discussion on a simple difference of opinion. You want to keep going, fine with me.
Yes of course a difference of opinion, however I have to say that its pretty universally accepted that it was a bloody awful (and dangerous) tackle.

Old 05-16-2022, 04:27 PM

20,517 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Oh Arsenal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer