Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2022, 01:41 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,158,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Surely you're not a Spurs fan that hopes Chelsea 'miss out' over Arsenal!! Can't be, there is no such thing.
LOL. No, I am a Spurs supporter that discovered the premier league and Spurs long ago while living in London with another american flatmate who embraced Chelsea. We have of course ever since had our own "rivalry," and been friends for 30 years. So my "dislike" of chelsea has nothing to do with Spurs, but instead to do with my old friend and his love of Chelsea. Gunners are my rival and the games like this last Thursday live on in your mind and heart. But I can tell you that I would rather be watching Chelsea fall out of Champions League in an unprecedented collapse while sitting next to my friend with his cursing and spilling beer than just about anything! It would give me ammunition for some friendly abuse for decades to come!

Spurs did all they could with the 3 points today. Now find myself in the odd spot of supporting the Saudi oil money to beat gunners. COYS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 02:06 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Wow. So untrue. He played. Calm down.
No it isn't, perhaps you should go and look at the slowmo again and perhaps read up on what people said about it:-

https://talksport.com/football/fa-cu...ol-leeds-fans/
https://sportsinformer.co.uk/2022/05...-on-the-bench/
https://www.givemesport.com/88006977...-mateo-kovacic

Old 05-15-2022, 02:07 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Wow. So untrue. He played. Calm down.
66 minutes in the FA cup with an amputated leg is pretty impressive.

The hand ball at 45’ was very fortunate for the Spurs. That was looking like 0-0. Burnley is really tough to run the Kane/Son shock & awe counter against. The battle for 4th place continues to be great to watch.

MC down 0-2 at halftime had my full attention. They’re still 99.99% likely to win the league but it will make Sunday interesting. There’s still a chance West Ham can finish 6th.

I want Burnley to get relegated to have a Blackburn derby next year but Everton is doing their best to red card their way into relegation.

So all of the top-7 teams have something to play for. 3 teams in the relegation battle. The last week of the season and half the league has important matches. This is really entertaining.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

The hand ball at 45’ was very fortunate for the Spurs. That was looking like 0-0. Burnley is really tough to run the Kane/Son shock & awe counter against. The battle for 4th place continues to be great to watch.

MC down 0-2 at halftime had my full attention. They’re still 99.99% likely to win the league but it will make Sunday interesting. There’s still a chance West Ham can finish 6th.

I want Burnley to get relegated to have a Blackburn derby next year but Everton is doing their best to red card their way into relegation.

So all of the top-7 teams have something to play for. 3 teams in the relegation battle. The last week of the season and half the league has important matches. This is really entertaining.
Who said anything about 'amputated legs'!? Fact is it was an extremely dangerous tackle that could easily have resulted in a broken leg, as obvious a red card as I've seen, have you read the links?

Old 05-15-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about 'amputated legs'!? Fact is it was an extremely dangerous tackle that could easily have resulted in a broken leg, as obvious a red card as I've seen, have you read the links?
I watched it on YouTube. It was a red card. I didn’t see the hyperbole of “he nearly snapped his leg in half”.

The best £1.5 billion worth of penalty kickers a Russian mobster can buy.

Old 05-16-2022, 04:46 AM

Quote:
No it isn't, perhaps you should go and look at the slowmo again and perhaps read up on what people said about it:-

Ah, so you are one of those who believes what sport writers say and cannot support his own opinion. What happened was an aggressive challenge where the player got the ball, and in his follow through twisted and hit the player in a way in which the player was not injured at all. the initial play drew the injury. An injury has NOTHING to do with a card. In fact as Son taught us a few years back, if a ref gives a card based on injury and not based on the initial behavior, it gets overturned. The challenge was aggressive and deserved a yellow card, nothing ore. The ref felt that the decision on the second contact deserved red, which had NOTHING to do with the injury that got you up in arms. Had he just nearly broken his leg in half, it would have been a yellow, the ref decided the non-injury after play was dirty. I disagree with the ref. He also is the most amazing player for being able to play on one leg. Again, your hyperbole weakens your position. Keep caring about what sportswriters say, it frames you oh so well.

Old 05-16-2022, 04:51 AM

Quote:

Burnley plays a strong defense against the counter, which is the Spurs' bread and butter. I used to make fun of the silly clasp your hands behind your back on D, but with the insanity of calling any glance, even if there is no advantage, I think its probably correct to play that way. Arms extended in the box can result in such an accident. I hate hand balls like that, but will obviously take the ones that go our way, enough have certainly gone against Spurs. going to be a great weak. I am also pulling for Burnley to drop down, but Everton certainly are doing their best to fall. Should be a great week! enjoy!

Old 05-16-2022, 04:59 AM

Quote:
I watched it on YouTube. It was a red card. I didn’t see the hyperbole of “he nearly snapped his leg in half”.

The best £1.5 billion worth of penalty kickers a Russian mobster can buy.
The exaggeration was what I keyed in on. I am happy to have open discussions with my opinions, but a reply like, “he nearly snapped his leg in half” does not engineer intelligent conversation about a disagreement on a call. I still think he could have drawn a yellow had he reacted differently. the ref did not go to the red right away. I think had he shown immediate contrition it would have been a yellow. And again, the injury has nothing to do with the card. I never want to see anyone hurt. I felt terrible for Andre Gomez after his injury, but the injury had nothing to do with what Son did. His conduct merited a yellow. I think James' went for and got the ball. after contact with the ball he hit the leg. That is what caused the injury and I would not have even given him a card for that. It was the next part when he twists and maybe was trying to knock him down that might warrant a card. The follow through was the problem. But anyway, it doesn't matter. Its over, the card was given. There was no snapped leg, no lifelong injury, just an aggressive tackle and a red card was given.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Ah, so you are one of those who believes what sport writers say and cannot support his own opinion. What happened was an aggressive challenge where the player got the ball, and in his follow through twisted and hit the player in a way in which the player was not injured at all. the initial play drew the injury. An injury has NOTHING to do with a card. In fact as Son taught us a few years back, if a ref gives a card based on injury and not based on the initial behavior, it gets overturned. The challenge was aggressive and deserved a yellow card, nothing ore. The ref felt that the decision on the second contact deserved red, which had NOTHING to do with the injury that got you up in arms. Had he just nearly broken his leg in half, it would have been a yellow, the ref decided the non-injury after play was dirty. I disagree with the ref. He also is the most amazing player for being able to play on one leg. Again, your hyperbole weakens your position. Keep caring about what sportswriters say, it frames you oh so well.
You obviously haven't read up on this much. It was a bloody awful challenge, it was a dangerous challenge and as MANY have pointed out it could easily have broken his leg:-

I'm not sure what your argument is to be honest?

Old 05-16-2022, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
have you seen Sunderland till I die on Netflix ? If not and if you can you should. You seem to like the passions and rivalry of the game, if you watch that you will I bet end up feeling so sorry for those fans, they are loyal and there are lots of them and their club was run into the ground by some poor management decisions
seeing them get relegated really quickly down to league one, mush to the absolute delight of Newcastle fans

I watched the first few episodes last night. It's great! However, I struggle with the local accent/dialect. I have to really pay attention or I have trouble. It's like streaming Blackburn match replays off their web site with the local commentator instead of the Sky Sports commentators on ESPN+. I struggle with the slang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer