Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2023, 08:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times

Advertisements

Chelsea looked pretty good Match Week #1. I haven’t seen them play since. There’s no shame losing to AVL.

I watched Liverpool instead of the North London derby. West Ham is certainly playing well enough to qualify for Europe again. I’m kind of wondering if Manchester City will ever drop points. KDB injured doesn’t seem to have slowed them down.

I was happy to see Everton with 3 points. I want them to stay up and get their finances sorted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 10:20 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,559,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I was happy to see Everton with 3 points. I want them to stay up and get their finances sorted.
Yep - I have a real soft spot for Everton, I think it's the mutual hatred of Liverpool They looked very good against Brentford, who themselves look very, very shaky without Toney.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:48 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
Come on. Given the amount that has been spent on this team, there is no way the results should be what they are when they aren't playing in Europe. Getting yourself frustrated and getting straight red is a part of being shambolic. Five yellows from a striker by the 6th game? That's a mentality problem.
That's irrelevant until the players they've spent that money on are actually playing! Did you look at the link I gave? As for the red card, I don't even think it was a red card, he got the ball, judging a team on a 0-1 result when they're down to 10 men isn't giving an accurate perception of the team.

Like I said previously get back to me when they actually have their first team playing and they have 11 v 11!

If they have something resembling their first team and a full quota of players and they lose 0-3 after being outplayed by Aston Villa............................then I'll worry.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Yep - I have a real soft spot for Everton, I think it's the mutual hatred of Liverpool They looked very good against Brentford, who themselves look very, very shaky without Toney.
I’m a plastic Liverpool supporter. Fenway Park is 60 miles from here. I’m entertained by Pickford. I have the April away at St James’ Park circled on my calendar. My main dislike is Manchester City. I root against Newcastle as an oil club but they haven’t been cheating the FFP rules so the dislike is pretty mild. The ManU and Chelsea soap operas are entertaining but it’s better for the Premier League if both clubs are competitive.

The Blackburn Rovers are my penance for being a plastic.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
The Blackburn Rovers are my penance for being a plastic.
When did you start supporting Blackburn may I ask? And why?

They were of course bankrolled very successfully during the early 90's and brought them a league title with Dalglish at the helm.

Old 09-27-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
When did you start supporting Blackburn may I ask? And why?

They were of course bankrolled very successfully during the early 90's and brought them a league title with Dalglish at the helm.
I subscribed to their international streaming last year. I’d watched a few matches on ESPN+ the previous year. My family is from Blackburn and we’ve always cross visited. My grandmother’s brother was mayor in 1958-1959. My father’s first cousin was mayor in 1991-1992. I know my second cousins and their offspring. I’ve driven past Ewood a number of times but have never seen the Rovers play.

This was a fallout of learning about UK football culture where every city has their football club. I was pointed at Netflix series Sunderland ‘Til I Die here. You go support your local club at 3:00 on Saturday. The local rivalries that go back 150 years. My Rovers knowledge is recent. I knew who Kenny Dalglish was from following Liverpool since the Red Sox bought the club. I had no idea who Jack Walker was or his history of bankrolling a club to win the Premier League. At this point, I like Championship better than Premier League. It’s not spoiled by all the big money and the league is more competitive.

Old 09-27-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I subscribed to their international streaming last year. I’d watched a few matches on ESPN+ the previous year. My family is from Blackburn and we’ve always cross visited. My grandmother’s brother was mayor in 1958-1959. My father’s first cousin was mayor in 1991-1992. I know my second cousins and their offspring. I’ve driven past Ewood a number of times but have never seen the Rovers play.

This was a fallout of learning about UK football culture where every city has their football club. I was pointed at Netflix series Sunderland ‘Til I Die here. You go support your local club at 3:00 on Saturday. The local rivalries that go back 150 years. My Rovers knowledge is recent. I knew who Kenny Dalglish was from following Liverpool since the Red Sox bought the club. I had no idea who Jack Walker was or his history of bankrolling a club to win the Premier League. At this point, I like Championship better than Premier League. It’s not spoiled by all the big money and the league is more competitive.
Nice! The Championship is fun, much more fun that struggling in the Premier League, as Leicester can testify.

Could never accuse you of following a glamour club.

Old 09-27-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Nice! The Championship is fun, much more fun that struggling in the Premier League, as Leicester can testify.

Could never accuse you of following a glamour club.
I watched Liverpool beat the Foxes today. ESPN+ didn’t have Rovers-Cardiff. I was the plastic Liverpool supporter today but peeking at the Rovers score (5-2 winners). There are 6 non-Premier League clubs in the round of 16. I’m hoping the Rovers draw one of the other five at home. But not Ipswich. They’re in great form. I guess Rovers-Burnley would be the best option as a derby.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:15 AM

Chelsea-Blackburn on Halloween. There’s a bit of a disparity in payroll.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:15 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,158,656 times
Quote:
Chelsea-Blackburn on Halloween. There’s a bit of a disparity in payroll.
Just a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer