Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2023, 06:25 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,158,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
American football takes a 3 minute television commercial break on pretty much any review. I don’t want to go there. For reviews for a goal, “Goal allowed” or “Goal denied” would be pretty easy to add to the protocol. For a red card or a PK, it seems that the ref always reviews the video on the field. It’s only goals where the protocol needs to be fixed.

And as a plastic Liverpool supporter, I don’t want a replay. I’m used to obvious errors in Championship. It’s part of the game.
The NFK takes that long because they want the TV timeout. Which has stopped the past t wo seasons. Now it is very fast in most cases, under 30 seconds. Most premier league relays I have seen take a comparable amount of time to the NFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 10:56 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
The Blackburn Rovers are down near the relegation zone. They conceded the only goal yesterday at 85’. Soul crushing. They lack talent at forward and have lots of injuries. They have terrible attendance and that creates a money problem.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:22 AM

847 posts, read 510,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
The protocols are ridiculous. In the American football the referee announces the call on the field and announces weather it is confirmed, overturned, or stands because there was not evidence to meet the burden of adjusting it. I think the center official should have to do the same. The VAR official should confirm via the headset that the call on the pitch is X, and the VAR review is A, B or C. The the center official announces "The call on the pitch was no goal due to offsides, the VAR review is complete and the call on the pitch is reversed." That was possibly the dumbest mistake ever. Rushing to be fast resulted in the VAR official not even knowing what the call on the pitch was.
It was truly absurd. I was watching in a pub full or Spurs supporters. . They showed it without the lines and we all expect a reversal. We were all scratching out heads. That being said, Klopp is a clown. I've never seen him be classy in defeat, even when the officiating has been decent. It's always something with him.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
The Blackburn Rovers are down near the relegation zone. They conceded the only goal yesterday at 85’. Soul crushing. They lack talent at forward and have lots of injuries. They have terrible attendance and that creates a money problem.
To be honest with you when you take into consideration that a town of only 150'000 gets 15'000 attendances at home games in the Championship it is the opposite of 'terrible attendance', its actually a very high level of support really - you could argue that the club is/has always punching/punched above its weight.

Old 10-21-2023, 04:25 PM

27,202 posts, read 13,489,086 times
RIP - Bobby

Sir Bobby Charlton: England World Cup winner and Manchester United legend dies - BBC News (21st October 2023)

Old 10-23-2023, 09:26 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,559,815 times
Only Geoff Hurst left now from that '66 team.

I think there's a case to be made that Bobby Charlton was England's greatest ever player.

Old 10-24-2023, 06:38 AM

27,202 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Only Geoff Hurst left now from that '66 team.

I think there's a case to be made that Bobby Charlton was England's greatest ever player.

I agree - Bobby was certainly one of the greatest, if not the greatest England players.

It's quite sad that only Geoff Hurst remains from the '66 team.

Old 10-24-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
To be honest with you when you take into consideration that a town of only 150'000 gets 15'000 attendances at home games in the Championship it is the opposite of 'terrible attendance', its actually a very high level of support really - you could argue that the club is/has always punching/punched above its weight.
This is a very good point that I hadn’t really considered.

The Rovers won on Saturday. Two wins in a row. They went from close to the relegation zone to 3 points outside of the promotion playoffs. It’s what I like about Championship. It’s competitive and any club can put a good month together and be in the mix for promotion or have poor form for a month and collapse down to worrying about relegation. In the Premier League, the big clubs almost always finish at the top of the table. It’s inevitable that Chelsea will be competing for Europe soon. It’s why Leicester was such a great story and why Brighton is a good story now. A very well managed club can discover young talent and have a few good years before they lose all their players to the big clubs.

Old 10-24-2023, 08:17 PM

And the Blackburn Rovers have now won 3 in a row. They won at everyone’s favorite Millwall. I watched that instead of Champions League. The ref lost his whistle. There were uncalled fouls the whole match for both teams and probably a PK or two for both teams. Championship referees are as inconsistent as the players.

I’m happy to see Leicester is lined up to get promoted. Ipswich was just promoted from League One and is in second place. I’ve learned that they have a rich history. It’s looking likely that they’ll get promoted.

Old 10-25-2023, 06:35 AM

2,403 posts, read 1,574,072 times
Quote:
. Ipswich was just promoted from League One and is in second place. I’ve learned that they have a rich history. It’s looking likely that they’ll get promoted.
i used to go to Portman Road in the 70s to see Ipswich thy were good back then, one of the first clubs to sign European players ( Two Dutch guys) Muhren and Thiessen i think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer