Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 11:35 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times

Advertisements

The only way to know who is a threat is to have massive testing
Like South Korea
The US lost that chance when Trump refused to use the test kits offered by WHO and had the CDC make its own—which were flawed—
Setting the testing back for 10 days or more
A critical period during which the borders were open for travel to other countries starting to get the virus like Italy
Trump was too late closing the borders because he only focused on Asia

Watch Dr john Campbell on You Tube
Has series of blogs tracing development of the crisis in China and then its spread outward
Very easy to understand and very critical of his country—England—and the US and others for lack of PROACTIVE measures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 02:15 AM

9,006 posts, read 4,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
The only effective remedy I know.
"This message is hidden because loves2read is on your ignore list."
Something I love not to read.
Putting a bandaid over it doesn't remove the cancer.
I don't want to remove loves2read completely, either, since they bring quite a bit of good information. I just want the Trump Derangement Syndrome Driven Disinformation removed from their posts. I am hoping a warning from a moderator is sufficient, although I hate to report them. It is like calling the cops because two of your friends are in a fight. When that happens, potentially, everyone is damaged.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:02 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,328,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I am not going to use either one if at all possible. I do not plan on any intervention unless getting north of 105-106. Then using mechanical means like cold water. Though that might be up to a third party with that kind of fever because one may be able to barely move if at all.
In some old world countries they are using vinegar or combination vinegar/ water for wiping people and especially babies when the fever is becoming too high and dangerous

I guess, the same in some other countries
A Comparison of Vinegar Compresses vs. Cold Water& Water with Vinegar for treating of Fever at Tropical Hospitals

Old 03-15-2020, 05:05 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,684,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The only way to know who is a threat is to have massive testing
Like South Korea
The US lost that chance when Trump refused to use the test kits offered by WHO and had the CDC make its own—which were flawed—
Setting the testing back for 10 days or more
A critical period during which the borders were open for travel to other countries starting to get the virus like Italy
Trump was too late closing the borders because he only focused on Asia

Watch Dr john Campbell on You Tube
Has series of blogs tracing development of the crisis in China and then its spread outward
Very easy to understand and very critical of his country—England—and the US and others for lack of PROACTIVE measures

I don't like Donald Trump--But this can't be all about him for the simple fact that politics isn't the answer to most of our problems, no matter how much the pols want you to think they can solve most of them. I'm seventy four now and seeing that throughout most of my life the pols never made much difference in my daily routine, tricky Dick was an exception as well as Johnson just because their stupidity killed a lot of my friends, and almost killed me.

Beyond the political realm, I think most people can see the problem with allowing the divisive factors in America to be off the leash to the extent that many believe that once the Donald is out we will see happy days again. The entire cabal of DC charlatans, from both Dems and the GOP have made a mess of America through their terrible neglect, they have been busy serving their masters and haven't found the will to honor their public obligation.

In the realistic world of critical thinkers, most will understand our worst problem to be that we look to the political party charades as our saving grace. But the truth of this fallacy lies in the fact of the decades of wars, poverty, racial division, economic failings, and a general social malaise surrounding the entirety of America's decline. The corona virus will just be lumped into that basket of history that serves as testimony to our failings. And life can't be entirely the stuff of politics, so, if there was ever a time that calls for a transcendence of our divisional differences this is certainly it..

Old 03-15-2020, 05:53 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times
The fact is you and I are responsible for doing something about the problem.
From the beginning, especially when we knew the disease had been traveling.
Having a 2-week gestation there is no excuse for doing nothing waiting for the government to step in.
I have been a prepper for years so this event is not caught me off guard at all.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:01 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,328,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Once again, do you or do you not have a source, citation, link or any other information to support the highlighted statement? Be specific.
Let me try...It seems that Gwynedd1 is right about vitamin D in relation to flu
Just a cursory search on vitamin D supplementation and respiratory/ flu yielded quite a few studies with the positive outcomes as a result of the supplementation of vitamin D.

The most pronounced results seem to be seen in groups of people with the seasonally low levels of vitamin D.
Less so - if the people have a healthy lifestyle- being in the sun and eating a nutritious type of foods which corresponds with the optimal vitamin D levels in those subjects and consequently does not show
a big difference with the control groups - which is still indirectly jives with the benefit of having an optimal vitamin D levels
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/91/5/1255/4597253

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0216110002.htm

https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/202/5/809/1746565 - this study at first glance may not be too convincing for the effects of Vitamin D on the respiratory disease, though it still affirms some positive effects:
The limitation of the study could be that it was done in one of the healthiest nation in the world with the diet abundant in vitamin D and among the healthiest group of the population- the young soldiers with a healthy immune system

https://www.nature.com/articles/1602414

Even though the UK NHS main point below that we should not compare the reduction in flu cases by taking vitamin D vs getting a vaccine- (as no such studies could be designed -due to ethical reasons ?- N4M)- but the reference to the study on a vitamin D supplementation and consequent substantial reduction in the flu cases - makes the vitamin D supplementation results very impressive and calls for a vitamin D to be a great tool in a seasonal flu reduction, milder symptoms of the disease.
https://www.nhs.uk/news/medication/v...ments-and-flu/

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-15-2020 at 06:09 PM..

Old 03-16-2020, 01:33 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,068,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I think the reason WHO declared this a pandemic, is that they now see it as inevitable that the virus will spread to an "exceptionally high proportion of the population", and I'd have to say that I agree. There is little sign of this slowing down and at this rate, it will spread to about half or more of the population within a couple months unless every country does Hubei and Italy style lockdowns (and even then, it's unclear how well those will work long-term).

It's becoming surreal.
While this one isn't the end game, it is huge awakening for those who have always considered "preppers" to be paranoid.
Societies are too fragile to become dependent upon.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:37 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
WHO has now changed its perception of the transmission mode of CoVid-19
This is too little too late
Other research has come to the conclusion a week or more
And WHO is behind the curve
Makes a tremendous difference in how regular people should/can help protect against infection
Especially MEDICAL STAFF

So many people have likely caught and spread the virus because it IS AIRBORNE
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/who-...ve-in-air.html

Old 03-16-2020, 01:44 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,930,818 times
You can't stop it. All this quarantine stuff is nonsense. The only thing they are accomplishing now is crashing the economy. The disease is not the problem. Its the panic. From looking at the statistics, I don't think this will ever be a big deal. Maybe as bad as the flu, but not worse. Infection rates not near as high as they project. Most of the dead will be people in very poor health and mostly elderly, over 65. But prepping still a good idea. I'm going to building up my stocks.

Don't depend on the govt. and don't trust what they say. Look out for yourself, do your own thinking.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:23 PM

9,006 posts, read 4,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
WHO has now changed its perception of the transmission mode of CoVid-19
This is too little too late
Other research has come to the conclusion a week or more
And WHO is behind the curve
Makes a tremendous difference in how regular people should/can help protect against infection
Especially MEDICAL STAFF

So many people have likely caught and spread the virus because it IS AIRBORNE
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/who-...ve-in-air.html
That is what I have been saying since I began to post about it on this forum. They are way more than a week behind the curve. I figured this out on the 24th of January (posted to a different forum). It is why I have said this stuff goes through quarantine controls like a driving rainstorm goes through a screendoor.

It is why I said, some time ago, that comparing SARS-1, MERS, or Ebola to this is like comparing apples to prune juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness