Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 09:35 PM

301 posts, read 166,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
Good thing, may be people will get healthier and leaner.
I stopped eating meat a year ago, have more energy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 05:18 PM

4,433 posts, read 4,973,731 times
"I find all these city people panicked and farming chickens in their yard to be immensely funny."

Before I was a rural farmer I was an suburban farmer and yes we had egg hens in a residential subdivision. Technically it wasn't "legal" at the time but the price to keep the neighbors from complaining was only sharing the eggs. Before we moved away they did eventually pass a law allowing 6 hens. I think it's a great idea that people are starting victory gardens including egg hens. A family can raise all their own eggs based on table scraps and what the chickens can forage in their yards. We hardly fed our urban chickens any chicken feed so it was cheaper to raise our own eggs than to buy them in the store.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:24 PM

6,764 posts, read 8,629,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"I find all these city people panicked and farming chickens in their yard to be immensely funny."

Before I was a rural farmer I was an suburban farmer and yes we had egg hens in a residential subdivision. Technically it wasn't "legal" at the time but the price to keep the neighbors from complaining was only sharing the eggs. Before we moved away they did eventually pass a law allowing 6 hens. I think it's a great idea that people are starting victory gardens including egg hens. A family can raise all their own eggs based on table scraps and what the chickens can forage in their yards. We hardly fed our urban chickens any chicken feed so it was cheaper to raise our own eggs than to buy them in the store.
It would be great if they were doing it to be more self sufficient or had an interest in chickens as a hobby, but buying chickens in a panic without knowing how to care for them, well I don't think it will end well for most of the chickens or the experiment.

People buy chicks and bunnies for Easter, but don't know what to do with the animal once it's grown. The humane society and animal shelters aren't usually set up to handle poultry.
The owners could get some Sunday dinners if they know how to process and cook the bird, but I don't think most of the panic buyers will fall into that category.

It won't end well.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:09 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,858,661 times
We are having food shortages in CT. I don't want to go into a store and people say the shelves are practically empty anyway. Fortunately I have a really good farm just down the road. People can't get milk, bread, and eggs. I live in an apartment now so growing anything is a challenge but I'm starting tomatoes and beets at least--I always do--probably a few greens too.

I don't think we'll see much trouble during the summer but if this goes on into fall and winter when we're past our growing season, people aren't going to know what to do. You can store winter vegetables but I don't know where people will get milk or eggs if the local farms don't have enough. People can make bread but you can't find yeast unless you look really hard.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We are having food shortages in CT. I don't want to go into a store and people say the shelves are practically empty anyway. Fortunately I have a really good farm just down the road. People can't get milk, bread, and eggs. I live in an apartment now so growing anything is a challenge but I'm starting tomatoes and beets at least--I always do--probably a few greens too.

I don't think we'll see much trouble during the summer but if this goes on into fall and winter when we're past our growing season, people aren't going to know what to do. You can store winter vegetables but I don't know where people will get milk or eggs if the local farms don't have enough. People can make bread but you can't find yeast unless you look really hard.
You don't need yeast to make bread. Baking soda works well, or you can use sourdough that you can start yourself.
Most flatbread are just flour, water and a little salt. Biscuits, Johnny cakes, hoe cakes, journey bread, English Muffins, none of them need yeast.

As for eggs and milk, you can still buy dry milk and dehydrated eggs online if you really want them and are worried about it.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:36 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,352,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
As for eggs and milk, you can still buy dry milk and dehydrated eggs online if you really want them and are worried about it.
Auguson has been out for a month, and I just checked Wise as well. Anyone else seems to be shipping in 6-8 weeks.

Any other suggested supply places? I might get out the dehydrator and try it with fresh milk and eggs.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:01 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,984,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Grocery stores fully stocked here, except for TP...oh and who took all the koolaid mix?
Ordered a dominos pizza over the weekend and grilled steaks on Easter.

No problem.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Auguson has been out for a month, and I just checked Wise as well. Anyone else seems to be shipping in 6-8 weeks.

Any other suggested supply places? I might get out the dehydrator and try it with fresh milk and eggs.
Survival Cave was still showing some supplies ready to ship, Patriot is usually good, but I just checked their site and they're 10 weeks out.

Wise Foods, Mountain House and some of the bigger companies are hit and miss. They'll show something in stock, but it's sold out quick.

I see Sportsman's Guide has some surplus MREs and XMRE brand meals still.
The market is too volatile right now. The companies are working to meet demand, but there are supply issues as well as production limits from existing equipment and my best advice is get on their web notifications so you hear when they have stock to sell.

I dehydrate a lot of my garden produce, but I've never tried milk or eggs. There should be some information on YouTube or some of the survival or homesteading websites about that, I've just never looked for it as I have cattle and chickens and turkeys on the ranch so it's never been an issue.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:20 PM

4,433 posts, read 4,973,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
It would be great if they were doing it to be more self sufficient or had an interest in chickens as a hobby, but buying chickens in a panic without knowing how to care for them, well I don't think it will end well for most of the chickens or the experiment.

People buy chicks and bunnies for Easter, but don't know what to do with the animal once it's grown. The humane society and animal shelters aren't usually set up to handle poultry.
The owners could get some Sunday dinners if they know how to process and cook the bird, but I don't think most of the panic buyers will fall into that category.

It won't end well.
We've had chickens and rabbits for a few decades and neither species require a lot of knowledge of care. In a lot of environments even urban ones they do just fine on their own if not locked in a cage of neglect.

But I do agree that they require some knowledge, all of which can be found online. We learned how to butcher and process chickens on youtube.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
We've had chickens and rabbits for a few decades and neither species require a lot of knowledge of care. In a lot of environments even urban ones they do just fine on their own if not locked in a cage of neglect.

But I do agree that they require some knowledge, all of which can be found online. We learned how to butcher and process chickens on youtube.
I've had chickens, rabbits, turkeys, hogs, cattle, sheep, horses, etc. for most of my life. Most animals given the chance will do quite well with simply food, water, shelter and a clean place to live.
I don't think many of the panic buyers know much about the responsibility entailed by having animals, how it restrains you. For instance if you want to go out of town for a few days, you need to get someone to feed and water your animals.

There are kennels for dogs and cats, or you can take them with you, not so much chickens. In town, you need to have a secure fence or enclosure for your animals because of domestic dogs and cats that can and will kill your chickens and bunnies. People are supposed to keep their pets under control, yeah that happens.

I just think these panic buyers don't really have a grasp on the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness