Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2020, 11:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,387,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
How many people in America died from the 2003 SARS outbreak? Zero. The 2012 MERS outbreak? Zero. How many will die from SARS CoV-19? That remains to be seen. Maybe eliminating the CDC's Pandemic office was a really bad idea?
Maybe, but how forthcoming would China be to allow US assistance? I had thought their talk track all along was “thanks but we have it covered”?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 01:29 PM

9,288 posts, read 4,909,909 times
Quote:
I think that the W.H.O. has resisted calling this a pandemic because of the panic it could cause, even though we all know this is a pandemic.
That is probably as true as we can get.

Quote:
I was curious if we still had boots on the ground in China after Trump gutted the CDC including the office of experts that is supposed to handle a pandemic, and I found an interesting article from the CDC :Global Health-China. It talks about the co-operation and ongoing training the CDC does in China.
Trump didn't "gut" the CDC. That is fake news.
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...e-on-trump-cdc

Quote:
... Do you remember MERS-Cov? (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) It was a corona virus as well with about a 10% mortality.
MERS is still around. Mortality is way more than 10%.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6074883/

Quote:
The 2003 SARS outbreak and the 2012 MERS outbreaks made it to U.S. soil, Algeria, Austria, China, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Malaysia, Netherlands, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, and UK.
Here's the gut punch in the what is the CDC doing to combat MERS. One of the answers was aggressive testing. There was also EMS units at airports and at the borders. With all that effort we had only two cases here in the United States.
As I pointed out here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/self...l#post57489574
You are comparing apples to prune juice.

Quote:
Where was our test kits that should have been ready in December when this SARS CoV-19 outbreak was slipping out of Wuhan? Where was our EMS units in airports and at ports of entry?
First, no one knew about this virus until the end of Dec, and even then, the Chinese were not forthcoming with DNA analysis, so we didn't know what to test for. Had Trump not moved before the first of Feb, to block people coming here from China, a move he was called racist and xenophobic for, we would have tens of thousands of cases in the US today. When we did get that info, the CDC created the first test kit with a tech problem, so it had to be redone. (CDC and NIH have a history of siphoning off funds for politically driven projects, and then screwing up when the real stuff happens. I watched that happen with Ebola.)

Quote:
How many people in America died from the 2003 SARS outbreak? Zero. The 2012 MERS outbreak? Zero. How many will die from SARS CoV-19? That remains to be seen. Maybe eliminating the CDC's Pandemic office was a really bad idea?
Because this virus is beyond anything we have ever had to deal with in our lives, I suspect it will kill tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, this year and next.

Americans have a real hard time at facing reality, and when presented with reality, their reaction is mostly to blame the very people who are here to save their ass.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Maybe, but how forthcoming would China be to allow US assistance? I had thought their talk track all along was “thanks but we have it covered”?
Not very forthcoming. It took weeks before they allowed the WHO, with some CDC members coming along, before they were allowed anywhere near the doctors and scientists who were working on the problem. And then, the Chinese doctors and scientists had government censors there to insure they didn't tell the WHO anything that the government had not approved.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Not very forthcoming. It took weeks before they allowed the WHO, with some CDC members coming along, before they were allowed anywhere near the doctors and scientists who were working on the problem. And then, the Chinese doctors and scientists had government censors there to insure they didn't tell the WHO anything that the government had not approved.
That was my understanding. So why would the US fund this? China still calls themselves a developing nation yet they are #2 in GDP behind the US.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:07 AM

Quote:
That was my understanding. So why would the US fund this? China still calls themselves a developing nation yet they are #2 in GDP behind the US.
You just have to realize that the reason for someone's post isn't always enlightenment, and realize also that we can't call them out by name and say exactly what they are doing, as that would be a violation of the rules.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
You just have to realize that the reason for someone's post isn't always enlightenment, and realize also that we can't call them out by name and say exactly what they are doing, as that would be a violation of the rules.
Ah. Well, in any case, there’s a lot of issues globally. I’ve got my basic prep all done and will be getting a few more things for storage. Got my Aquamira drops yesterday (backordered everywhere) so if things really get bad I can fill my WaterBob as well as portable containers for storage in addition to the 40 gallons I already have on hand for rotation.

Missed out on Augason for many things but dried eggs are on its way. These are 10 year goods anyway so if they come in 4-6 weeks I’ll be fine.

Don’t have enough N95 to make me happy but have enough for a number of trips/days.

Ran my generator over the weekend and it’s good to go. Same for the backup generator to the main one. Just need to get more gas on hand which I will wait to do as the price is still dropping. My car runs on diesel so even if there are shortages I should be fine.

I don’t expect it to get that bad, but if my family needs to stay sequestered inside for a month we are set.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:47 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,866,613 times
Quote:
That is probably as true as we can get.

Trump didn't "gut" the CDC. That is fake news.
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...e-on-trump-cdc

MERS is still around. Mortality is way more than 10%.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6074883/

As I pointed out here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/self...l#post57489574
You are comparing apples to prune juice.

First, no one knew about this virus until the end of Dec, and even then, the Chinese were not forthcoming with DNA analysis, so we didn't know what to test for. Had Trump not moved before the first of Feb, to block people coming here from China, a move he was called racist and xenophobic for, we would have tens of thousands of cases in the US today. When we did get that info, the CDC created the first test kit with a tech problem, so it had to be redone. (CDC and NIH have a history of siphoning off funds for politically driven projects, and then screwing up when the real stuff happens. I watched that happen with Ebola.)

Because this virus is beyond anything we have ever had to deal with in our lives, I suspect it will kill tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, this year and next.

Americans have a real hard time at facing reality, and when presented with reality, their reaction is mostly to blame the very people who are here to save their ass.
You have some great points. I wish I had more time to respond.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...pandemic-team/
He did close this office.

Read The Hill: Trump budget chief holds firm amid virus outbreak.

I am not comparing apples to prunes with the response for both the MERS and SARS epidemic. THey are both corona virus by the way. The difference is that those epidemics were stopped before they became a pandemic, and that takes expertise and money.

I refer back to Chris Christie's quote, who is a long time friend of Trump. " Trump is surrounded by amateurs, grifters, weaklings, convicted, and unconvicted felons. Trump had a revolving door of deeply flawed individuals who were hustled into jobs they were never suited for, sometimes seemingly without so much as a background check via Google or Wikipedia." Maybe Christie is right.

I saw Ben Carson stumble through an interview about having a plan in place to safely transport the people from the cruise ship. It was pathetic. The delay in testing was a big blunder as well.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You have some great points. I wish I had more time to respond.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...pandemic-team/
He did close this office.

Read The Hill: Trump budget chief holds firm amid virus outbreak.

I am not comparing apples to prunes with the response for both the MERS and SARS epidemic. THey are both corona virus by the way. The difference is that those epidemics were stopped before they became a pandemic, and that takes expertise and money.

I refer back to Chris Christie's quote, who is a long time friend of Trump. " Trump is surrounded by amateurs, grifters, weaklings, convicted, and unconvicted felons. Trump had a revolving door of deeply flawed individuals who were hustled into jobs they were never suited for, sometimes seemingly without so much as a background check via Google or Wikipedia." Maybe Christie is right.

I saw Ben Carson stumble through an interview about having a plan in place to safely transport the people from the cruise ship. It was pathetic. The delay in testing was a big blunder as well.
“including funding for the agency’s efforts in China. But that was the result of the anticipated depletion of previously allotted funding, not a direct cut by the Trump administration.”

Please leave politics out of this.

Even if we had a response team double the size, for the first month or so of the virus outbreak in China they kept repeating it was not an issue, not a problem, they don’t need help.

Some of the issues in the US definitely are CDC-related. More funding might have helped. Some issues though sit with state governments and their responses. Note that the WHO, which has nothing to do with the current Administration, still has not called this outbreak a pandemic.

What I read about MERS and SARS was that their transmission rate was lower and their mortality rate higher. This can cause a virus to “burn out” before it becomes a pandemic by killing its hosts (or getting them quarantined) faster than it can spread. COVID-19 spreads faster and can take 5 days before symptoms become noticeable.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:56 AM

Finally the WHO has warned about a pandemic.

Old 03-11-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Please leave politics out of this.
Some people don't know they are leftist political pawns, and we are not allowed to tell them here. Trust me, I wouldn't be so restrained or tactful in any other environment.

I part of a group that has been following this pandemic since mid January, sometimes hour by hour. As their resident science geek, I told them on 25 Jan that this virus could not be contained, even before it got out of China, and that we were facing the foreshadow of the Forth Horseman (just the shadow, not the actual Horseman, that is still in the future). They didn't want to hear that from me, but they understood that if I said it, they should bet their paycheck on my assessment.

I gave certain people honest and scientifically sound answers, but, for personal philosophical reasons they refuse to believe and continue to spout subtle talking points of others who cannot accept the truth of what is happening.

Kinda like sunshine on wax and putty. The same sunshine that softens wax will harden putty. Some will accept the truth and adapt to it, others will simply harden their heart to it. The bamboo bends with the wind, and survives, the Ash is uprooted and dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness