Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 08:08 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I'm not an anti-vaxxer. In fact I get the flu shot almost every year. I went through the rabies vaccination regimen because I worked in an animal shelter and was designated "the rabies guy" even though the chances of me being exposed was very low.

But I don't expect that a vaccine is going to be our salvation. Not because they have unsuccessfully been working on an HIV vaccine for 35 years. Because with some diseases the vaccine can make things worse. Look at the Dengue virus. If you get infected it's like a horrible flu but you'll probably survive. If you get exposed after that to the exact same strain you have immunity. But if you get infected with any of the other strains, instead of a horrible flu you get a hemorrhagic fever that can kill you. Because immunity against any one strain causes your immune system to fail against every other strain. So no Dengue vaccine unless you've already had the disease because if they can't guarantee immunity against every strain, anybody who gets the vaccine could die from an ebola-esque hemorrhagic fever on their first infection that would otherwise would have been a "flu like" illness.

There are some preliminary reports coming out of China that people are getting reinfected with a higher death rate than with their first infection. If this is the case the vaccine could make things worse, not better, unless you've already survived the illness prior to getting the vaccine.

And we don't know the long term effects of a vaccine. We know that people who get chickenpox can get shingles 50 years later. But nobody knows if people who get the chickenpox vaccine (its a modified live virus) will get shingles because the population that has received the vaccine isn't old enough yet to find out.
There is already experience with coronavirus vaccines in animals, so I do not think that the rare complications like those with the dengue vaccine will happen.

I have doubts that people are quickly getting reinfected. Those folks more likely had not cleared the virus completely and had relapses.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/e...-for-2nd-time/

Those who have gotten the chickenpox vaccine are at reduced risk to get shingles.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...k-in-children/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
What happens if one both gets a flu shot, and takes the Vit. D supplements? Can't hurt!

Added later: odd highlighting here. I wrote what's just above the line, while responding to the post below, written by gwynned.

No idea why everything is confusingly highlighted.
I have asked the same question before. I have no idea why people refuse the flu vaccine because it is not 100% effective in favor of vitamins which are not 100% effective. Just do both.

The odd formatting may have been caused by an extra [quote] tag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 11:32 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,779,866 times
Looking at this research website, that tracks genetic mutations of viruses, I can see that the genetic variants in the US first appeared in: Hubei, Guangdong (Shenzen), Vietnam, Japan, Hong Kong. It is all over the place. Stopping Wuhan flights was not enough, all these other places also spread the virus.
https://nextstrain.org/ncov?c=location&m=div&r=location

Old 02-29-2020, 05:46 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,578,423 times
Good grief —those pictures of stockpiled food — white rice, diet cola, and spam....
If the virus doesn’t kill them, their diet surely will.....

Old 02-29-2020, 07:56 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Good grief —those pictures of stockpiled food — white rice, diet cola, and spam....
If it hasn’t by now...

Old 02-29-2020, 08:11 AM

Since this virus is so asymptomatic, and we have no idea who actually has it, wouldn’t it be constructive to nationally ask people to wear masks when in public until we get more info on this virus?
Masks would help prevent those who are infected but not showing symptoms yet from giving it to the rest of us.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:23 AM

Sorry if this was already posted — it’s the FDA list of drugs now in short supply.
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...es/default.cfm

Old 02-29-2020, 08:45 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
[quote=CraigCreek;57448288]

It may even amply the flu vaccine effectiveness. However its hard to say what the universal affects are. To what extend does the immune reaction constitute an opportunity cost? Hard to know.

Lets just say its the lowest priority thing I would do to address it. Many people get the vaccine and then go for antipyretics which just lowers the immune response. I would put 8 hours of sleep ahead of a flu vaccine as well. With covid 19 I would be very wary of especially acetaminophen. It not only suppresses the immune system by preventing fever, but also consumes glutathione.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3048347/

ROS without antioxidents will just create more tissue damage and antigens, which is why the oxidative stress in the SAD diet causes immune responses and the resulting in foam cells. Macrophages consume oxidized LDL and so on. Oxidized LDL is just another antigen to the immune system. So is oxidized anything.

The use of corticosteroids in Iran is also probably helping to kill people. It weakens the immune response. There are times when the immune system is the problem. However no one is going to win a war by eliminating friendly fire by entirely disarming. It may be at the advanced stages when the immune system is in over drive where perhaps its indicated. . However I think they are probably doing both early on.

So at the bottom of a long list, sure I will not argue against it. However a few wrong moves and that slight edge for one threat is easily lost.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:50 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:

I'll give you diet cola, but spam and rice used judiciously is just fine. However if they eat them during the same meal then it will be a problem.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:24 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Quote:

^^^^

Exactly what I'm thinking! Ok, a few empty carbs, high sodium,etc surely won't do them much good! A days of such I suppose won't do any lasting harm, but a sustained diet of more than a few weeks of such would probably create more problems than the flu!

I'm trying to think of what I could stock up on that wouldn't do us more harm than good. I do have a freezer full of meats, including things like roasts, chicken, pork roasts, etc, along with some frozen veggies. I could make various soups, stews, etc that I at least know what I put in them. Save the emergency rations for the last...

Good thing I have Insta Pots, Crock Pots, Bread Machine, etc.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:20 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Coronavirus mortalility is 2-3%. Regular flu mortality is 0.1%. But flu will kill far more people that coronavirus, seasonal flu kills up to 600,000 people worldwide each year.

Maybe a similar scenario was Hong Kong Flu back in 1968. That killed 1 million worldwide, about 30% more than regular flu. With the Internet today communication and coordination of response is enormously better than is was in 1968. I would predict that this flu will kill 10% of the regular flu this year. We are at 2800 now.

Point is if you are really and truly worried about death from disease, you should be FAR more concerned about the regular flu than Coronavirus. Not sure I understand the reason for all the hysteria.
Sell papers. Get viewers. Create excitement/hysteria. The networks cannot talk about anything besides this lab virus, even though there are fewer than 100 cases in the USA today.

It's similar to the globaloney warming agitprop that has spread far and wide and convinced many otherwise reasonable and reasonably bright people that it's a threat.
The trained-from-childhood actress and hysteria-spreader Greta is like an active carrier of the flu. Or corona. Whatever. She spreads her illness to many of the susceptible people who come into contact with her.

We will see if this virus spreads far and wide, or if it doesn't, and its true effect.

But newsies LOVE panic and hysteria, you don't have to know anything to spread panic and hysteria.

It sells papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness