Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 06:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
A lot of what you wrote here doesn't make sense.
Maybe after you get some sleep, you can write more coherently.
Guess you don’t read much Cormac MacCarthy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 07:54 AM

9,005 posts, read 4,701,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The CDC screwed up tests kits for this virus that it send to all the states several weeks ago
Hmmm, I missed that one, and can't find it, can you point me to a source?

Quote:
Guess you don’t read much Cormac MacCarthy
No. Why would I? He didn't write any math books

Old 02-27-2020, 09:52 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,942,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Regular flu is manageable because we have vaccines and acquired immunities for most of the population. Most people who die from it are already unhealthy.

COVID19 appears to be more contagious and more lethal. People who are not ill can spread it.

Creating strong perimeters around pockets of the disease, finding and tracking possible contacts, requiring isolation, plus reducing travel to and from affected regions are the first steps —which are already being taken.

People need to stay aware. Avoid places where you can be exposed and practice regular hand washing.
Coronavirus mortalility is 2-3%. Regular flu mortality is 0.1%. But flu will kill far more people that coronavirus, seasonal flu kills up to 600,000 people worldwide each year.

Maybe a similar scenario was Hong Kong Flu back in 1968. That killed 1 million worldwide, about 30% more than regular flu. With the Internet today communication and coordination of response is enormously better than is was in 1968. I would predict that this flu will kill 10% of the regular flu this year. We are at 2800 now.

Point is if you are really and truly worried about death from disease, you should be FAR more concerned about the regular flu than Coronavirus. Not sure I understand the reason for all the hysteria.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:14 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,427,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Coronavirus mortalility is 2-3%. Regular flu mortality is 0.1%. But flu will kill far more people that coronavirus, seasonal flu kills up to 600,000 people worldwide each year.

Maybe a similar scenario was Hong Kong Flu back in 1968. That killed 1 million worldwide, about 30% more than regular flu. With the Internet today communication and coordination of response is enormously better than is was in 1968. I would predict that this flu will kill 10% of the regular flu this year. We are at 2800 now.

Point is if you are really and truly worried about death from disease, you should be FAR more concerned about the regular flu than Coronavirus. Not sure I understand the reason for all the hysteria.
Because its something we don't understand

Old 02-27-2020, 12:02 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,622,107 times
Locally I live in a fairly Chinese part of town (don't think Chinatown, think rich China engineer suburbia) and retail is way down. People are avoiding each other more than normal. Ranch99 was positively empty and it was a pure delight for once to roll a cart down nearly empty aisles and have plenty of produce to choose from that didn't appear ragged from the prior 100 people's rejections. A popular buffet (all you can eat crab legs) normally boasting a line and wait times sat all but EMPTY as I strolled past at the open time. Hundreds of seats in capacity and the staff was on their phones sitting. The restaurant we ate at had 3 tables sat and a light bar crowd and it also normally has a wait time. The malls are as slow as I've ever seen them. I've never been able to drive into the local Costco and have so much parking selection as this past week. Went to pick up envelopes for our tax returns at Office Depot and saw it was closing.

The virus may not be lethal, but it may as well be to retail here. Things are very slow. Considering freight and industry were in mild retraction before this all hit, the longer this stays outstanding the pillar of support for the economy was in consumer spending....and that just died. Maybe not guns and ammo, but watch your investments. Q1 numbers are going to be bad across the board....and the safe haven trades are already crowded.

Good luck to all.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:13 PM

15,877 posts, read 6,580,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_turtles_634 View Post
I honestly don't think we are doing enough to stop it. People do news reports on the outbreak, and no-one does anything about it. What are your viewpoints???
They've confirmed asymptomatic carriers of COVID-19 exist. That makes it very difficult to contain. About all we can do is follow good hygiene habits.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:33 PM

12,045 posts, read 6,588,253 times
Do the N95 masks really work if you fit them properly?
You can also get N99 masks, but do they work?

Last edited by mountainrose; 02-27-2020 at 01:04 PM..

Old 02-27-2020, 12:49 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,234,313 times
Quote:
Bull
Just not that many American went to China in December when the disease was getting started before it became recognized as a real threat
The fact that there are 300 possible cases in Michigan
Likely Ann Arbor area where the University is with lot of Asian students and profs shows there ARE risks
And the fact that the authorities still don’t know how northern Italy became a hot bed of infection is a real worry
Apparently there are some infected people who do not show symptoms and yet are contagious
And there might be patients who appear to be well and then are re-infected...
Because China is still not being transparent about what is going on in the initiation site much important data is being lost...

University of Nebraska where some cruise victims were sent MIGHT have a vaccine—
Being tested on one of the cruise volunteers

But again w/o a full range of knowledge about how this virus operates and mutates hard to design a vaccine...

GReat post! I was wondering why they flew that one guy up there from Lackland AFB to NEbraska. That place is heavy duty I remember they played a role back in the Ebola outbreak of 2014.

Indeed the most concerning things are.

1. Someone can be a carrier and never get ill themselves. They could unknowingly spread the virus everywhere.

2. Some countries are intentionally or unintentionally not sharing information with the world. You don't go from 0 to over 70 cases in a day and then deaths two days after that for instance Iran kept mum until they absolutely had to say something so who knows who traveled where while they were being silent. Everyone really needs to work together for the betterment of humanity in situations like this. Asteroid strike, etc.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:38 PM

9,005 posts, read 4,701,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Do the N95 masks really work if you fit them properly?
You can also get N99 masks, but do they work?
There isn't a significant difference between the protection of N95 vs N99, for this virus.
The N95 mask will give some limited protection against the virus.
Even a surgical mask or other cloth will give some protection.
But masks, by themselves give limited protection.

Frankly anything you can practically do will give some protection.
Wash your hands. Sanitize things get touched, that more than one person is around.
All that stuff helps.

Nothing gives complete protection.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:57 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post

If it infects a third of the US population, that's three and a quarter million deaths, and many millions more seriously ill. That's 195 million deaths worldwide. Comparing it to the flu is like comparing a car wreck to stubbing your toe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness