Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 01:16 PM

6,758 posts, read 8,601,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You posted on the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness subforum. This is not the place to have kind people kiss away your tears. This is the place for those who refuse to give up, for for those who refuse to bow to adversity. Read some of the other threads here if you don't believe me.

This is not the place to insult those of us who plan tp prosper and survive in the face of danger. We're the same sort of people who fought back in NOLA against the savages after Hurricane Katrina. We're the same sort who fight for freedom daily and who carve our own world out of chaos. We do get those who hate us because we're not government sycophants, because we scoff at the idea of accepting charity, because we yearn for a society in which those who won't work perish. We're the people who built civilization.

Talk about finding a cheap place where you can raise some food and independent life and where you can earn some money. Then you'll be part of our world rather than just another angry interloper.
Your language is a little rough, I don't quite follow all your points, but I can't disagree with the sentiment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 02:33 PM

626 posts, read 1,350,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You posted on the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness subforum. This is not the place to have kind people kiss away your tears. This is the place for those who refuse to give up, for for those who refuse to bow to adversity. Read some of the other threads here if you don't believe me.

This is not the place to insult those of us who plan tp prosper and survive in the face of danger. We're the same sort of people who fought back in NOLA against the savages after Hurricane Katrina. We're the same sort who fight for freedom daily and who carve our own world out of chaos. We do get those who hate us because we're not government sycophants, because we scoff at the idea of accepting charity, because we yearn for a society in which those who won't work perish. We're the people who built civilization.

Talk about finding a cheap place where you can raise some food and independent life and where you can earn some money. Then you'll be part of our world rather than just another angry interloper.
This is not the place to insult anybody. Telling her to get off her high horse is just rude, shes reaching out for help and answers to a potential situation, not judgment and rude comments. Have some sympathy. You are not her and she is not you.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,682,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I just today stumbled across this thing called 'housesitting' where people let you stay in their house if you take care of it and usually their pets too. Some of them were permanent offerings like 'caretaker wanted for my 4 acre property - cleaning, taking care of pets, etc. for free room and maybe board. I would look into that.

the website that has this info as well as a lot of other stuff is
Where to Stay for Free Around the World

you never know what you might find. I was thinking, if I was homeless and jobless, I would so do this.

Also, I'd look into 'live in companion' jobs... there are a lot of older people whose families do not want them in nursing homes and they want to stay in their house but need someone else there.
I think this is very good advice and definitely worth a look.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,751,542 times
I just wanted to say that this is really sad, and I fear this is going to happen to a lot more folks. This is the new normal for a lot of folks, just try to find a job if you are fifty or more with nothing less then a master's.

And then again we will all drink the kook aide from both sides. The only good side of this is that China is going through what we are starting go through a lot more rapidly then ourselves.

In this environment you have to re "make" yourself and be willing to do things that you would never do, like cleaning houses, be a reader for the elderly, dog sitter slash walker, and anything at all that those that still have disposable money hate to do.

Craigslist, flyers and neighbor papers are worth the investment to at least begin, you really don't want to be homeless if you can help it. You are from Florida so you might be familair with Camilius house and those folks have it rough.

Don't give up and make it your mission to think every day... What job do the wealthy or better off hate to do.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:35 PM

4 posts, read 17,708 times
Yes I am open to cleaning houses, animal care, and so on. If a job's legality or ethics are questionable, then no I wouldn't go after it or take it. There are plenty of jobs where that wouldn't be an issue.

The job I have now is seasonal and only one shift a week thus far. (Read: it won't pay rent, and part time service jobs if minimum wage might not either. So I might get more work but still end up homeless. Yes I would take a job like that anyway but still need shelter).

I certainly did not come here to have people "kiss my tears away" but am looking for information. Re-read my original post. I didn't come here to be attacked, either.

If someone out there actually has experience being homeless and/or being self-sufficient on a shoestring, or knows specific cities/areas/parks? that are kinder than others to the homeless, any advice/website/source of resources would be most welcome. I have looked up information on shelters in the area just in case, though some have waiting lists or restrictions (only families, only men, only substance abusers etc.). As with a lot of cities the need is greater than resources available--a sign of the times no doubt.

Thank-you to those who have suggested websites and I will certainly check them out.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:10 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,207,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCaretaker View Post
I certainly did not come here to have people "kiss my tears away" but am looking for information. Re-read my original post. I didn't come here to be attacked, either. ...................

You have come here asking for information, so I will give you some advice. When asking for help, information, advice, the best way to cut off the help you want is to get snarky with people who are offering you advice or giving you information.

And this was not said to you as an attack. It is genuinely valuable information that will help you survive.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:19 AM

6,758 posts, read 8,601,394 times
I haven't said much on this post in part because my area of the country doesn't have a lot of the resources that more populated areas do, and the weather and climate are real factors.

I have to agree with Oregon, the advice here comes from folks that are mostly pretty pragmatic dealing in harsh realities, the advise is good, even if it is given or worded in a less than supportive manner.

Many of us have faced serious hardships, some have been homeless, others have lost everything in house fires or hurricanes or other disasters and had to rebuild from scratch.

It ain't easy, it takes a lot of grit and hard choices and sometimes doing things you would never even consider in better times, but this is a board that deals in survival.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Most posters aren't mean on purpose, (most ), but when you have to face reality, it is rarely sugarcoated.

Listen to the advise given, make your own determinations. Most of it has merit.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:06 PM

687 posts, read 1,379,428 times
First, make sure you don't look disheveled or dirty. That will scare off potential landlords or employers. You need to find a person who will rent you a room in their basement cheap. Plenty of elderly people are willing to rent out rooms in their house. Maybe you can promise to do chores or drive them to the grocery, etc. If you can find a group living arrangement then you can live off of a minimum wage job. Look for a job at a retailer that hires entry level people like Walmart or restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness