Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 06:59 PM

102,444 posts, read 108,880,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Seattle Intellectualism in it's most grandeur state!

Oh, grammatical error???? Go on Seattle Sophisticates, correct my grammar, I Dare You! No, it's not IT'S, it's ITS!!!!! Oh no, I am crying!!! Go ahead, hurt my feelings.. Or, as Harry Callahan would say: "Go Ahead, Make My Day!"
LOL! Pretty good, RC! Thanks for my laugh for the day.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:22 PM

127 posts, read 167,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Ahhh, sounds like I am hearing distant echo's from the same worldly status, career, and money obsessed snobs I was referring to, ...the truth hurts, I know. Grammar Nazi's, who like to point out some trifling errors in the one way someone writes. Yep, they own Seattle nowadays. Good luck in the snootiest city in the USA, where people have the social skills of a brick. There is nothing more silly then attacking someone's post because some Seattle-ite thinks they should have a PHD in English in order for their thoughts to matter. You have got to do better then that when you attack someone on CD for expressing their honest thoughts. The city of many pseudo intellectual, pompous, passive aggressive introverts, swimming in a sea of self importance, and in denial,...prevails again!. The city that is all head and no heart. Just my opinion and views thanks you very much.
paragraphs are easy, dude. You should practice. Just press ENTER at the end of a sentence and with luck it'll be the perfect narrative break.

If not, at least it'll be a start. Nothing personal, but when someone whines on and on and on about how hard it is to find women, but they can't insert a paragraph, it does make one wonder (oo ooo ooo oo.. there's a feeling I get ... _)

Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 AM

603 posts, read 881,999 times
At least at the bars and dance bars in places like Ballard I do see a decent ratio of girls to guys but there are definitely more dudes. The majority of people however, both guys and gals, are UW students or recent grads. A lot of them look like they're in frats and sororities. I graduated for the UW a couple years ago so I am in the proper age demographic.

Otherwise though there's a reason why Seattle has a reputation for having a lot of feminist/hipster type of women, it's because there indeed are a lot of them. If you're a guy who is reading this and you're into such types of women then more power to you. In my experience however most guys are looking for something else. That probably adds to some of the dating woes.

Edit: OP if you are younger like I am then I think part of your troubles may have to do with our generation. We, as a whole, are very flaky and it is partially due to the social media age we live in now. It's tough luck but it is what it is.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:02 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,210,326 times
Too many dudes: Amazon's growth is ruining Seattle's dating scene, says single guy - GeekWire

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 04-27-2015 at 09:14 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 10:47 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,344,406 times
Yeah, but it's not like your average IT employee is a male model. Most of them are less than stellar in the looks department, and they don't have the personality or humor to make up for it either. Sometimes Seattle men remind me of Washington, DC women (who outnumber the males, in NGO and government sector administrative jobs). Imagine the physical sex appeal of Philip Seymour Hoffman and Janet Reno, with the personality of both Cameron Frye and Ben Stein's character from Ferris Bueller's Day Off and you have the average young professional in Seattle and DC. The two are like a match made in heaven, I swear. In fact, if I had software development skills, I would develop a matchmaking app that specifically hooks up DC women with Seattle men. It would ask questions like "Do you enjoy watching water boil?" or "When was the last time you helped your grandma wash her hair?"

Yeah, I went on a few dates with some Microsoft and Amazon engineers and developers. It was like being on a date with a wooden log. The waiters would give me a funny look, and I just shrug my shoulders. Here's my wooden log.

Last edited by skidamarink; 04-27-2015 at 11:01 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 12:11 PM

102,444 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Yeah, but it's not like your average IT employee is a male model. Most of them are less than stellar in the looks department, and they don't have the personality or humor to make up for it either. Sometimes Seattle men remind me of Washington, DC women (who outnumber the males, in NGO and government sector administrative jobs). Imagine the physical sex appeal of Philip Seymour Hoffman and Janet Reno, with the personality of both Cameron Frye and Ben Stein's character from Ferris Bueller's Day Off and you have the average young professional in Seattle and DC. The two are like a match made in heaven, I swear. In fact, if I had software development skills, I would develop a matchmaking app that specifically hooks up DC women with Seattle men. It would ask questions like "Do you enjoy watching water boil?" or "When was the last time you helped your grandma wash her hair?"

Yeah, I went on a few dates with some Microsoft and Amazon engineers and developers. It was like being on a date with a wooden log. The waiters would give me a funny look, and I just shrug my shoulders. Here's my wooden log.
Personality/humor is so important! Your description makes me wonder who's behind some of the complaints on this forum.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:12 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,870,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post

Some of us IT guys only save that sexiness and inner wild beast for the right woman.. Sometimes the wrong woman can turn a guy into a log too. Seattle women are not exactly what I call wild, passionate, romantic and hot-blooded sexy type of women. Rather, formal, reserved and rigid..

And, Janet Reno, may be quite sexy with a different hairdo and a g-string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Personality/humor is so important! Your description makes me wonder who's behind some of the complaints on this forum.
I have found that Seattlites in general, women and men, do not have a whole lot of personality or humor.. That is one major strike about the city. WHen you sit and try to make jokes with people, sometimes they just won't get it and take you seriously. Everywhere else I have been cracking jokes and being a bit humorous was seen as an important virtue of conversation. Here is a real-life example of an encounter that portrays the situation. I was in a store that sold coffee making equipment and they had several coffee brewing machines ranging from moderately to very expensive in price. So, after looking at the $3000 price tag on one coffee maker I told the guy, "This is a city that does not judge people by the car they drive, but by their espresso machine they have." It was just a silly little joke, but the guy then gave me a serious look and says, "I never judge people by what they own." I responded, "Oh G-d, it was just a joke, haha, you know, joke?" It is situations like these that can annoy me about Seattle. I'd say most people would get the fact that I was not being serious, but in Seattle many people will think you are actually being serious.

It was a bit of a culture shock coming to Seattle and seeing how serious, polite and formal people could be in conversations compared to living in Portland. I guess you take the good with the bad; people are more formal and polite, but less humorous and outgoing. This type of more reserved and formal personality may be what some associate as the "Seattle Freeze". I have learned that people do not mean any harm by this behavior, it is just the way people are here.

I always think of Seattle as being the polar opposite of Ghana, West Africa in the personality and humor department. These are the two most contrasting places I have ever been.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 04-27-2015 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 04:00 PM

5,137 posts, read 2,193,563 times
Quote:

I have found that Seattlites in general, women and men, do not have a whole lot of personality or humor.. That is one major strike about the city. WHen you sit and try to make jokes with people, sometimes they just won't get it and take you seriously.

Reminds me of the time my buddy and I went to see George Carlin live a few years before he died. In my estimation 10-15% of the audience got up and left mid show. While it was happening, I'm thinking, "oh this is SO Seattle right here." George was the master of insulting everybody but that was his act. However it demonstrated the number of thin skinned, self absorbed twits that we have living in this city.

I've lived here most of my adult life and I would agree with you. In addition to taking you seriously, they take themselves WAY WAY WAY too seriously as well. But I've learned not to let this get in your way. I laugh and joke and poke fun at things at will pretty much on a constant basis. If people don't appreciate your humor, jokes on them!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:40 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,344,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Reminds me of the time my buddy and I went to see George Carlin live a few years before he died. In my estimation 10-15% of the audience got up and left mid show. While it was happening, I'm thinking, "oh this is SO Seattle right here." George was the master of insulting everybody but that was his act. However it demonstrated the number of thin skinned, self absorbed twits that we have living in this city.

I've lived here most of my adult life and I would agree with you. In addition to taking you seriously, they take themselves WAY WAY WAY too seriously as well. But I've learned not to let this get in your way. I laugh and joke and poke fun at things at will pretty much on a constant basis. If people don't appreciate your humor, jokes on them!
That's what happens when you try to create a politically correct paradise like Seattle. Humor and PCness don't go hand in hand, however subtle and innocuous you may think the humor is. There's always SOMEONE who has to get offended, and that someone is likely to be found in a city like Seattle.

I remember having chit chat with this high school boy who was working the register at Trader Joe's in Ballard. He told me he was working on his birthday and I just light heartedly said aww darn "sorry to hear that." I remember him curtly replying, "I don't need you to feel sorry for me." That was the last time I ever engaged in friendly chit chat with a cashier in Seattle.

But then, there is the opposite end of the spectrum - places like Boston and New York, where people will almost make a conscious effort to cross the line and mentally assault you. So I don't know what's worse.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:02 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,426,217 times
Quote:
Some of us IT guys only save that sexiness and inner wild beast for the right woman.. Sometimes the wrong woman can turn a guy into a log too. Seattle women are not exactly what I call wild, passionate, romantic and hot-blooded sexy type of women. Rather, formal, reserved and rigid..

And, Janet Reno, may be quite sexy with a different hairdo and a g-string.

I have found that Seattlites in general, women and men, do not have a whole lot of personality or humor.. That is one major strike about the city. WHen you sit and try to make jokes with people, sometimes they just won't get it and take you seriously. Everywhere else I have been cracking jokes and being a bit humorous was seen as an important virtue of conversation. Here is a real-life example of an encounter that portrays the situation. I was in a store that sold coffee making equipment and they had several coffee brewing machines ranging from moderately to very expensive in price. So, after looking at the $3000 price tag on one coffee maker I told the guy, "This is a city that does not judge people by the car they drive, but by their espresso machine they have." It was just a silly little joke, but the guy then gave me a serious look and says, "I never judge people by what they own." I responded, "Oh G-d, it was just a joke, haha, you know, joke?" It is situations like these that can annoy me about Seattle. I'd say most people would get the fact that I was not being serious, but in Seattle many people will think you are actually being serious.

It was a bit of a culture shock coming to Seattle and seeing how serious, polite and formal people could be in conversations compared to living in Portland. I guess you take the good with the bad; people are more formal and polite, but less humorous and outgoing. This type of more reserved and formal personality may be what some associate as the "Seattle Freeze". I have learned that people do not mean any harm by this behavior, it is just the way people are here.

I always think of Seattle as being the polar opposite of Ghana, West Africa in the personality and humor department. These are the two most contrasting places I have ever been.
Righttttt, sure he doesn't. How many people in Seattle say that out of one side of their mouth and then whine about the one percenters out of the other side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area