Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 08:05 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Wow, lots of negativity on this thread! Do they put something in the water in Seattle? lol

Men who complain about women - have you ever considered that instead of wasting time on this thread you might wanna go work out, lose weight, put more effort into making a good living, get your act together, maybe change your attitude a bit? Bet you would have much more luck with women not only in Seattle but in any other part of the country.

Women who complain about men not approaching you - I found that a smile goes a long way. A blank gaze can be pretty intimidating to guys - just sayin'... Men have big and fragile egos, and if the risk of rejection is high, they will probably not make the move.

Alas, people do what they do. It's so much easier to go online and complain about the opposite gender/city/weather/whatever rather than to look in introspect and perhaps acknowledge some uncomfortable truths.
For many, the issue isn't getting the guy/gal once you're attracted, it's finding attractive guys/gals to begin with. The selection is really bad in Seattle. I did not notice an overabundance of males in Seattle, as statistics keep saying, and definitely didn't think the selection of men was THAT great. I was in Denver and Boulder a couple weeks ago and in just two days, I saw way more attractive, fit males and females walking around random neighborhoods than I ever did in Seattle. Seattle just doesn't really draw in the desirable crowds.

Tech industry + cliche notion of what "feminism" should be = lots and lots of unattractive, boring people who can't/won't socialize.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:34 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Code, so lovely to discover that you have migrated with your uplifting words to another thread, we missed you. I will say again, it depends what you like. I dislike 6 inch heels, botox, heavy makeup, noxious perfume and fake eyelashes. Give me a naturally beautiful woman any day. Does that mean ugly? Far from it. Go take a hike on a trail in the mountains, you will meet beautiful, empowered, athletic, deep, very heterosexual women.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:00 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Who is this guy?

Old 08-13-2015, 02:00 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingSeattle View Post
I'm in another state now and have been seeing the same girl for three weeks, a point I could never get to in Seattle after trying for a year. I don't know how long we'll be together, maybe she will get annoying to me or I will annoy her at some point, but at least I have options now. In Seattle I couldn't even get the ball rolling.
Seattle can be rough, but life's too short to stick with something that's not working for you. As long as you've had success somewhere else and know it's not you I wouldn't worry about it.

It's very difficult to be all things to all people. Stick to your strengths and find the common thread of women from areas that have worked for you in the past.

I take it you made the move to Austin?

Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 PM

64 posts, read 110,731 times
I've been away from Seattle for a while now, thank god. I remember walking around trying to hold back tears at one point during the dark months. (I mean lack of sunlight.)

Where I am now, the women are more confident about what they want, and are quite certain that one of their goals is to find a good man and make him happy. It's not worth bothering with the women in Seattle, because unless you catch them in their diminishing years (mid 30s), or date down by two levels, they will throw you back in the water like a fish, and look for another catch. Guys, don't come to Seattle without a girlfriend / wife already lined up. That was really awful, because I worked very hard to put myself in a position where I am the sociological "top dog". You can be rich, handsome, popular, etc. and it won't mean **** in Seattle so don't even bother.

I plan to bum around the states for a while. My views are evolving, but at this point I would say the entire west coast and north east are non-optimal, and the south and midwest is where it's at. Not just in terms of dating, but in terms of social interaction and happiness in general.

I miss my friends in Seattle, and I miss having actual peers in the tech world, but I can't deal with the utter devaluation I experienced there. Women there expect men to be asexual genderless beings, and at the same time they want all the advantages of both genders. I won't ever come back unless I am married. I don't really resent the area anymore, but I know I will never subject myself to that icy hell again.

The social contract is completely broken in Seattle, for young men. It used to be you work hard, get a good job, and you are rewarded with a girlfriend / wife, house, and a nice car. Now you get an XBox and an apartment. This blog is a good additional read that describes this idea more succinctly: http://www.techbroil.com/2015/05/do-...o-redmond.html

When word gets back to colleges about this situation corporate America is going to start losing out on talent, but I don't expect the bosses to notice or take this seriously any time soon.

If you DO insist on staying in Seattle, here is my advice: Be fashionable, ruthless, rely heavily on your male friends, maintain a high energy level, and treat women like dirt. That kind of approach is the only one I could see working in a place like that, but that's not me. If you act overconfident, bullying, and aggressive-hiding-behind-a-smile I could see Seattlites going along with that easily. They're weak followers. Buy the Hillary Clinton glasses, bright blue Nikes, and talk about Buddhism, looking down on whoever didn't read the latest book in SeattlePi or whatever. That will work, if you can stand yourself after that.

Last edited by FleeingSeattle; 08-13-2015 at 10:41 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 09:18 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Quote:
The social contract is completely broken in Seattle, for young men. It used to be you work hard, get a good job, and you are rewarded with a girlfriend / wife, house, and a nice car.
Amazing that the ladies weren't flocking to a guy who felt entitled be "rewarded with" a woman who hasn't yet reached her oh-so-decrepit mid-30s (or "diminishing years", as you call them) along with a nice house and car, just for having a "good job".

I have news for you, Skippy: nobody is entitled to be "rewarded with" another human being because they earn a paycheck.

Last edited by BATCAT; 08-14-2015 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-14-2015, 09:44 AM

64 posts, read 110,731 times
Newsflash: Men work because they want a family and a comfortable life. You take the possibility of those things away, and the men just drink themselves to death like in Soviet Russia.

The underlying assumption in Seattle is that normal human interactions are "oppressive" so you must be careful not to offend anyone. You should not talk to anyone because you are being sexist / racist / transphobic by assuming they want human interaction of any kind in their life.

Most pathetic people in the world. Even liberals can't stand them.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:59 AM

735 posts, read 871,497 times
Quote:
....are quite certain that one of their goals is to find a good man and make him happy. It's not worth bothering with the women in Seattle, because unless you catch them in their diminishing years (mid 30s)......

The social contract is completely broken in Seattle, for young men. It used to be you work hard, get a good job, and you are rewarded with a girlfriend / wife, house, and a nice car. Now you get an XBox and an apartment.....treat women like dirt.
So, it sounds like you moved to Afghanistan. Seattle women can weep knowing that they let this catch get away.

Out of curiosity, would you let your current "girlfriend" read this thread?

Old 08-14-2015, 11:25 AM

54 posts, read 59,603 times
I know you guys are reluctant to agree FleeingSeattle's sentiments, but I think he's quite right. This region has a confluence of factors, which result in a highly unfavorable dating environment for men. We can argue about many of the points, but there is one which stands out from the rest - the imbalance in the gender ratio.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:46 AM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
I've been away from Seattle for a while now, thank god. I remember walking around trying to hold back tears at one point during the dark months. (I mean lack of sunlight.)

Where I am now, the women are more confident about what they want, and are quite certain that one of their goals is to find a good man and make him happy. It's not worth bothering with the women in Seattle, because unless you catch them in their diminishing years (mid 30s), or date down by two levels, they will throw you back in the water like a fish, and look for another catch. Guys, don't come to Seattle without a girlfriend / wife already lined up. That was really awful, because I worked very hard to put myself in a position where I am the sociological "top dog". You can be rich, handsome, popular, etc. and it won't mean **** in Seattle so don't even bother.

I miss my friends in Seattle, and I miss having actual peers in the tech world, but I can't deal with the utter devaluation I experienced there. Women there expect men to be asexual genderless beings, and at the same time they want all the advantages of both genders. I won't ever come back unless I am married. I don't really resent the area anymore, but I know I will never subject myself to that icy hell again.

The social contract is completely broken in Seattle, for young men. It used to be you work hard, get a good job, and you are rewarded with a girlfriend / wife, house, and a nice car. Now you get an XBox and an apartment. This blog is a good additional read that describes this idea more succinctly: Tech Broil: Do not move to Redmond

When word gets back to colleges about this situation corporate America is going to start losing out on talent, but I don't expect the bosses to notice or take this seriously any time soon.
Sorry, they don't give out women as "rewards" for working hard at your job, anywhere that I'm aware of. Nor have they ever. It sounds like your expectations are the problem, not the women. The Seattle women I know are looking for a good guy they can make happy, but you don't fall under the definition of "good guy", going by your posts. And they definitely are NOT into "asexual genderless beings". You really missed out in Seattle, and it's not hard to see why.

Let the Relationships Forum know when you find that place that issues grunts a girlfriend along with the first end-of-year bonus for working hard, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area